The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Need advice on doves (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicByKaylee
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of MagicByKaylee
I am interested in getting some doves, and eventually using them in a big magic show at my school sometime around october this year. However, I have a few questions before I get them.
First, is it difficult to train them? Second, How long does it take to train them and have them be performance-ready? Lastly, if you have any advice on illusions to perfrom with them, it would be very appreciated. I was thinking of doing the dove throw to silk illusion and some dove productions from silk.
Thanks in advance! Smile
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Kaylee, first step is to buy some videos like the ones that have been recommended here many times. Tony Clark, General Grant, Andy Amyx, Greg Frewin to name a few. They will answer most of your questions about dove magic. Once you know what's involved, then you can make a decision as to whether you really want to do dove magic.

Here's are a few answers for you right now. It takes about 6 weeks or so, practicing everyday to train a dove. Training means getting the dove to sit on your finger or shoulder for example while you move around without flying off. Then you can move on to specifics like the fly back and the dove to silk you are talking about.

Above all, you need to make sure you have the time, space and patience to handle doves. There are cages, food, treats, vitamins, vets to deal with. Then there is the issue of dander or dove dust. You need to house your doves in a well ventilated area. The dander is very harmful to humans when ingested through normal breathing. If you get more than one dove, are you ready for babies?
Where the magic begins
AOberheim
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of AOberheim
Remember that you'll have a pet for 10-15 years too. They can be noisy at home sometimes. Some people find the "coo-ing" relaxing, others...not so much.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Dave is the man to get good advice on doves! I feel the most important thing is to take your time and really think it over. Get some DVDs first and learn about the care it is going to require. You need a place to keep them, cages, etc. and they will require feeding, watering, cleaning, etc.

Once you learn about all that is required you should be able to make a better decision. If you still want to get some doves then start preparing to bring some home. This preperation willl require some thought and work to. Get their housing ready, and get all the things you need such as food, watering and feed dishes, and things like that.

I pondered for years and years before I finally decided to take the plunge. You are doing the right thing by asking, because there is a lot more to it than meets the eye. If you have a plan to use them by October of this year you had better get busy. It would be very possible to do if you are only talking about a couple of doves added to your act, but if you are wanting to do a full routine with doves that may be too soon. Just getting a jacket prepared for dove use is quite a task.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Alexo
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
112 Posts

Profile of Alexo
Also ask yourself if you'd otherwise be ok with owning lots of pets. If not I'd say don't take the plunge. I in addition also own a dog, a cat, a betta fish, a white mouse, a hairless rat, and a ball python and the birds are still the highest maintenance animal so that's saying something.
JimmyH
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of JimmyH
Definitely invest in a dvd or two....to see what it is all about and if you think you can handle it, go for it! I would also like to reccomend marian chavez's encyclopedia of dove magic book.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
My problem with your post is that you haven't once asked the really important questions ... like, how hard is it to take care of them? How much time must I spend with them daily? How much will things like cages, food, and vet bills cost me in the long run? How much space do I need for them? How much noise will they make, will it be a disruption to my lifestyle?

It seems to me that you are looking for "props" ... not pets. You need to consider factors other than your magic routine before you make this decision.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
MagicByKaylee
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of MagicByKaylee
Thanks everyone for all the advice! I am definitely going to get some DVDs before I make my decision. I have a lot of things to think over. I am actually thinking of only getting one dove, if I do, so I could take care of it better.
JoeJoe, the reason I didn't ask about the care of the dove is because I have a lot of friends with birds as pets and I figured they would all help me figure out what would be best for the comfort and care for the dove. I was also planning on doing a lot of research.
Thanks again to everyone. Smile I'll hopefully be getting a DVD soon.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2010-02-07 07:22, MagicByKaylee wrote:
JoeJoe, the reason I didn't ask about the care of the dove is because I have a lot of friends with birds as pets and I figured they would all help me figure out what would be best for the comfort and care for the dove.

But those things should be your FIRST priority ... not just an after thought.

If you only get one dove you will need to spend a LOT of time with it or it will become severely depressed. If you do get doves, I recommend at least two. Birds are flock animals and do not do very well alone.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Need advice on doves (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL