The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Pulling a long stick from a hat! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chazmanski
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Chazmanski
Hi. I am new to magic, though I have done some amateur magic tricks in public in the past. My idea right now is to mix this wonderful art with a Karate demo routine our karate club is doing. I want to make a 5-foot wooden stick, a bowstaff, appear. It could come from a hat, or from under a handkerchief, but it needs to appear so it can be used in the demo. There are other items to appear as well, but this is the most difficult.

I thought of pulling it through a hat close to the body (stick hidden in the Gi clothing), or through a table where it is hidden in one of the legs (though table is not that tall), or where would I find a rubber, bendable bowstaff that looks like a piece of wood when it is full elongated.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Chazmanski
Metatron
View Profile
Elite user
Port Orchard, Washington
436 Posts

Profile of Metatron
Hello Chazmanski,

The closest thing I can think of right off the top of my head is the 8 foot appearing pole. I think you could make it shorter. But the problem is that doing a bo staff demo with it is out of the question. You would have to swap it for the real thing after the production.

View it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foY6wX1jCso

I will try to come up with a swap technique for you but need to know more about the performing conditions. Will you be on Stage, Can you stand behind a covered table while producing said staff, or is this in the dojo, out in the center away from any tables ...

Please explain in detail the environment and conditions that you will perform in. It will help me to design the effect for you.

Metatron
Chazmanski
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Chazmanski
Hi Metatron:

You've nailed it, that's perfect!!! The demo will be done in the centre of the floor. But having said that, we don't have to do a lot with the bo staff after it appears, as there are other weapons involved. Here's what I was thinking:

A magician is doing a magic show for 3 kids sitting in front of him. Perhaps he puts his hat upsidedown on a table and pulls something out for the kids. Some hoodlums approach the kids with ill intent. So the magician pulls out a set of numchuks (weapon, 2 sticks with small chain between them) and gives it to the first kid. The he pulls out a set of komas (small dull blades with wooden handle) and gives it to the second kid. The third kid wants his weapon, so the magician reaches down, but pulls out a bouquet of flowers. He reaches down again, but pulls out a rabbit (stuffed). The kid is getting anxious as is the magician. Finally, the magician reaches in and pulls out a bo staff, similar to the video you posted. Now the kids defend themselves from the attackers. The fight sequence to follow can be whatever we arrange it to be, so the bo staff piece does not have to be complex with spins, etc. It can be whatever the bo staff will take, as the other weapons can do the majority of the techniques to show the art of Karate. This is a small part of a larger demo. I really appreciate you sending the link to the video, is this enough information to go by?

Thanks again.

Chazmanski
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Metatron
View Profile
Elite user
Port Orchard, Washington
436 Posts

Profile of Metatron
Sounds interesting, a few problems though. The kamas and the chucks won't fit into the hat. They are to long. You may be able to fit a small stuffed rabbit in there and a compressed packet of "spring flowers".

You could pull a large scarf from the hat, and produce the chucks/kama from under your coat or gi, using the silk as cover. Or, the items could be hidden behind the table and use the scarf as cover.

Flowers:
http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/fin......d=SPRING

Rabbit:
http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/fin......d=SPRING

or find a toy one that fits in the hat.

Find a large scarf try a thrift store. After Showing both sides, drape it over one arm so it blocks the view of the other hand reaching in to your gi or coat and grabbing your chucks. Bring the chucks straight up under the scarf.

Practice your productions in a mirror. Then practice practice with the other performers. The key is to practice this like it was a kata for earning a belt. If you put the time and effort into the practice you can make it work. I mean REALLY practice it. If your going to do it, make it the best you can.

Hope that helps,

Have fun,

Metatron
Metatron
View Profile
Elite user
Port Orchard, Washington
436 Posts

Profile of Metatron
Hansel,

Thank you for posting the resource for purchasing the needed items.

You Sir, are one of the most friendly and helpful artists here at the Café!

Thanks again,

Metatron
Chazmanski
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Chazmanski
Thanks Metatron, great ideas. And the advice about the practicing, I'll take it.

I was thinking maybe the magician could bring on a small table with a hidden box underneath the surface, perhaps with a sliding trap door on the top, under which the items would be hidden in. If the hat had a removable top, then placed upside down, the magician may be able to reach through the hat into the table to pull the items out through the hat. But that may be too complicated, hiding in the Gi may make more sense. I think I'll order the flowers, bunny and the collapsible stick, and then play around with all the items to see what works best. I really appreciate your input.

And thanks Hansel for posting the link. Very nice of you.

Thanks guys. Very exciting stuff!

Regards,

Chazmanski
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Pardon my confusion

Didn't realize that was the intent of any martial art

Perhaps I have misunderstood
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Metatron
View Profile
Elite user
Port Orchard, Washington
436 Posts

Profile of Metatron
The primary intent of all Martial Arts is to be victorious in battle.

Anything else is strictly the morals, ethics and philosophy of the individual school or the individual practitioners and those vary from school to school.

Metatron
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Pulling a long stick from a hat! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL