The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Half Dollar Shell question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

William Wortman
View Profile
Veteran user
Omaha, NE
301 Posts

Profile of William Wortman
I was wondering which was the better shell for a half dollar

A Tango Expanded Shell or a Johnson Expanded shell?

I wouldn't bother with a shell but I've been thinking of a cool patter for coins across.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5294 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I have both. The Tango's relief on the face is very shallow - it looks too flat IMO. The Johnson is pretty much perfect.

At least that's my take on it.

Thanks!

Jim
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
I agree with J-Mac.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
manreb
View Profile
Special user
648 Posts

Profile of manreb
I also agree wit J-Mac

Joe
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Definitely Johnson. I agree.
Looking for a coin?
A coin holder or accessory?
THE COIN MAGICIAN'S RESOURCE:
The Magician's Coin
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FLORIDA
762 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Johnson hands down. There IKE Dollar shell is very nice also.
Close up coin magic.

Okito box clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=100n9CnFjXw
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
486 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
I vote for Johnson on this one. I have many versions and all are great. Clad Kennedy, 64 Kennedy, Ben Franklin, Walker halves. Ike, Morgan and Peace Dollar. All are great. You can't go wrong with Johnson.

But for Tango all I can say is TUC rocks and their Slippery Sam Ike is a winner.

Best

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"
William Wortman
View Profile
Veteran user
Omaha, NE
301 Posts

Profile of William Wortman
I'm guessing Johnson I'll get. I have a gift certificated from Daytona Magic and I'll see if Harry can get a Johnson shell, if not I'll just get a Tango set till I get the money for a Johnson, and when I get a little more money I'll get the Dean Dill set walking liberties half dollar cause I think they would look better for my routine I'm coming up with http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=3&6
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5294 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Oddly enough the Tango Ultimate Coins - TUC - are very nice, very realistic looking on the sh*** portion. Yet their Exp sh***s are extremely shallow. I am guessing that it is the process they use to expand the sh***; the stretching flattens it too much.

Just my opinion as I don’t know for sure how they make 'em.

Thank you.

Jim
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Quote:
On 2010-02-09 16:01, J-Mac wrote:
Oddly enough the Tango Ultimate Coins - TUC - are very nice, very realistic looking on the sh*** portion. Yet their Exp sh***s are extremely shallow. I am guessing that it is the process they use to expand the sh***; the stretching flattens it too much.

Thank you.

Jim

That's exactly how expanded shells are made. The coin is compressed and hollowed out.
Looking for a coin?
The Magician's Coin
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
I recommend Roy Kuepper's expanded [ to start.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5294 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On 2010-02-09 22:26, lorenwade wrote:
Quote:

Thank you.

Jim

That's exactly how expanded shells are made. The coin is compressed and hollowed out.

Well there must be some differences because I don’t see the same flattening - or at least not to the same degree - in other Exp ['s.

Thank you.

Jim
Desmond67
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Desmond67
I have a Johnson one and a Tango one, for me both are excellent, but the Tango expanded shell is made with a new coin of 2009. I think Tango quality is better than Jonhson, but this is a old discussion here, the best you can do is go to the dealer shop and compare them.
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Quote:
On 2010-02-10 01:38, J-Mac wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-02-09 22:26, lorenwade wrote:
Quote:

Thank you.

Jim

Well there must be some differences because I don’t see the same flattening - or at least not to the same degree - in other Exp ['s.

Thank you.

Jim

Yep, because it depends on how it's done. I guarantee this is how Lassen and Schoolcraft make theirs. They just have a process that's better. How they do it makes the difference.
Looking for a coin?
The Magician's Coin
Mr. Tango
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
458 Posts

Profile of Mr. Tango
Dear Willian,

Take our expanded shell and let me know, if you don't like you can send me the coin and I will send back the money.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Half Dollar Shell question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL