We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Colts got what they deserved (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
When the Colts gave the game to the Jets while they were undefeated because they were saving their players for the Super Bowl just about everyone here said the only thing that counts is winning the big one. Well let me tell you the only thing that counts is winning when one puts forth their best effort and by giving the Jets a win the Colts learned how to lose and it carried on for two more games including The Super Bowl. Not only did they throw away the chance to go undefeated I feel they threw away the Super Bowl that day because they leaarned how to lose.

As they say, "what goes around comes around". And it did big time.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Manning threw it away.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
Manning actually threw for more yards than Brees, I agree with Acesover, they lost because they lost their edge.

1) they gave up a field goal at the end of the half
2} got caught off guard on an onside kick
3) missed a field goal of their own.

The interception certainly put the game away but they would not have been in that position if they had stepped up a little on any of the 3 items mentioned above.

The Saints team was a little better this day than the Colts team IMO.
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Yes they lost their edge. I am sure some here may disagaree but there is no doubt in my mind that Manning is a better quaterback than Brees. I am definiely not taking anything away from Brees and the Saints because they deserve it and Brees is definitely one of the better quaterbacks in the game.

I still bellieve that when the Colts were undefeated for 13 straight games and on their way to a perfect season then pull their starters in what some say was a very smart move in order to "save them" for the "BIG ONE" because as they have said that is the only thing that matters they ended up losing to a very inferior team the Jets. That day they learned how to lose. They went on to lose another game and flushed down the toilet what should have been a perfect season, going undefeated and then winning the Super Bowl and being the only the second team in the Histroy of the NFL to accomplish this. Rookie coach rookie mentality and now the Colts become another also ran. As I had said before they could have gone down as one of the best teams in the history of the NFL. Instead they learned how to lose and it cost them the Super Bowl and their pride. You never, and I repeat never let another team beat you for any reason. That is not how professional sports are played. Many here said it only matters that they win the big one..well you know what..they didn't win the big one. they didn't have a memorable season and their spirit is broken. This loss along with the Jets loss will haunt them for as long as they are a team.

As I said quite a while ago sometime in the future someone will ask who won the 2009 Super Bowl? Most people will say "I don't know". But had the Colts went undefeated as they should have in the regular season, and went on to win the Super Bowl as they should have, most everyone would say THE COLTS yea they were great they went undefeated that year and won the Super Bowl only the second team to do that in NFL history. They were really one of the great teams. Now they can say, the colts threw a game in the regular season while they were undefeated and went on to blow the Super Bowl because they learned how to lose. Well I hope the Colts and all those other people who feel that that is the way football is played learn a lesson. You just do not give away games in professional sports. When the fans pay their money to come and see you play you give them what they paid for and you try and win. You do not throw in your second string team and LOSE THE GAME. That is not how it is done. I said in the title of this thread...the colts got what they deserve.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
The Colts were "cursed" when they signed Hank Baskett from the Eagles. Hank dropped the on-side kick at the start of the 3rd quarter. The Colts inherited Baskett along with choking in the big game from the Eagles.

Rich B.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1299 Posts

Profile of GlenD
They won the first quarter, yay and I guess they thought they would wrap things up in the second half when they didn't even try to move the ball for another score with time on the clock and decent field position at the end of the second quarter. What was that? That turned out to be costly for them also and Manning definitely did'nt play his game in the second half. Keeping him on ice for all that time might have had an effect. The Saints just had a few more big plays and won the turnover battle.

Glen
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
Anyone who talks about cursed football teams should visit

http://www.curseofbobbylayne.com

Now that is a cursed football team
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1364 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
No, No, No, the SAINTS BEAT THE Colts, bottom line. Saints are the better team.
I'm tired of everyone making excuses for the colts. No excuses, colts Lost. The colts lost because the SAINTS beat them. End of story. Smile

ACE Smile
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Strongly disagree that pulling the starters in the regular season had anything to do with it. They dominated both the Ravens and the Jets in the playoffs, and showed throughout that they meant business. They just got beaten by a better team on that given day. If the Colts had played their starters the whole way down the stretch, they could easily have had a completely unnecessary injury, as the Patriots did with Welker (wasn't unnecessary for the Patriots; they had seeding considerations the Colts didn't have), and certainly might not have even made it to the Super Bowl, if someone like Garcon or Wayne had gone down the way Welker did.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2010-02-08 13:51, Acecardician wrote:
No, No, No, the SAINTS BEAT THE Colts, bottom line. Saints are the better team.
I'm tired of everyone making excuses for the colts. No excuses, colts Lost. The colts lost because the SAINTS beat them. End of story. Smile

ACE Smile

Nope. Better Team on that day at that time. Had the game been played today or two day's ago it would have come out differently. They still might have won, they might have lost. but it would have been different. The outcome of a single game only means they won that game. It doesn't automatically make them "better" than the other team. Just the winner of a particular game on a particular day.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2010-02-08 09:24, acesover wrote:

But had the Colts went undefeated as they should have in the regular season, and went on to win the Super Bowl as they should have, most everyone would say THE COLTS yea they were great they went undefeated that year and won the Super Bowl only the second team to do that in NFL history.

So who was the other team to go undefeated?
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Don't worry about it Ace, Payne questions any final outcome in Florida and feels that if they re do it the next day there will be a different winner.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1364 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
I'm not worried at all, bottom line, it's over and WE WON!

ACE
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
The Saints won because they had the better team.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2010-02-08 15:22, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-02-08 09:24, acesover wrote:

But had the Colts went undefeated as they should have in the regular season, and went on to win the Super Bowl as they should have, most everyone would say The Colts yea they were great they went undefeated that year and won the Super Bowl only the second team to do that in NFL history.

So who was the other team to go undefeated?

Your kidding right? You really do not know who went undefeated and won the Super Bowl... Ok, everybody now...The Miami Dolphins...
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2010-02-08 19:09, Acecardician wrote:
I'm not worried at all, bottom line, it's over and WE WON!

ACE

Cannot argue with that. The Super Bowl Champs are...THE SAINTS...................
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2010-02-08 14:02, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Strongly disagree that pulling the starters in the regular season had anything to do with it. They dominated both the Ravens and the Jets in the playoffs, and showed throughout that they meant business. They just got beaten by a better team on that given day. If the Colts had played their starters the whole way down the stretch, they could easily have had a completely unnecessary injury, as the Patriots did with Welker (wasn't unnecessary for the Patriots; they had seeding considerations the Colts didn't have), and certainly might not have even made it to the Super Bowl, if someone like Garcon or Wayne had gone down the way Welker did.

The only thing I can respond to that is..How did that work out?

When you have a team as dominant as the Colts and with gifted players as the Colts you do not let an inferior team beat you. It disheartens your players to lose period. These are men who are proud to be what they are. They do not lilke to lose. I know it is a trite saying but it still stands Winning isn't everything it is the only thing. This is competive professional sports. It is not only who is better physcially conditioned but also mentally conditioned and when you are conditioned to win then are asked to give only a half effort and lose to an inferior team it sticks in your brain..it is easy to lose, we can give half effort and still make the playoffs. We already proved that by letting the Jets beat us and still got to the Super Bowl. We can beat these Saints any day. We can let down and come back...no you cannot you must give 110% then dig deeper and want it. The Saints wanted this. They played their hearts out they came back in the second half and started wiith an an onside kick..they played football to win because they had heart and proved it on Super Bowl Sunday.

The good thing is that the Colts are healthy...Maybe they will get to the playoffs next year by staying healthy and play their starters only when they have too.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-02-08 22:00, acesover wrote:

Winning isn't everything it is the only thing. This is competive professional sports.

Yes, this IS professional sports. So what does winning have to do with anything here?

Lots of extremely profitable pro-sports teams (in a variety of sports) haven't had a 'contender' / contending team for years. And they are perfectly happy with that.

The MOST profitable team in pro-sports?

http://papadablogger.blogspot.com/2009/0......ort.html

"The single most profitable sports team in North America is the Toronto Maple Leafs. That team made $66.4 million last year."

Yet they haven't been in the playoffs since 2003/2004. Furthermore, "in a 2008 survey by ESPN The Magazine on rewarding fans, the Leafs were ranked 121st out of the 122 professional teams in the Big Four leagues. Teams were graded by stadium experience, ownership, player quality, ticket affordability, championships won and bang for the buck". Yet this stinker of a team has the most loyal fans, and is the most profitable pro-sports team in North America. So again, what does winning have to do with anything in pro-sports? Smile

Similar story in baseball:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/re......r_j.html

Paraphrasing here: At least seven teams have been regularly losing games while pocketing revenue sharing money. Revenue sharing has had the unintended consequence of making five owners very profitable despite fielding lousy baseball teams.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Quote:

When you have a team as dominant as the Colts and with gifted players as the Colts you do not let an inferior team beat you. It disheartens your players to lose period. These are men who are proud to be what they are. They do not lilke to lose. I know it is a trite saying but it still stands Winning isn't everything it is the only thing. This is competive professional sports. It is not only who is better physcially conditioned but also mentally conditioned and when you are conditioned to win then are asked to give only a half effort and lose to an inferior team it sticks in your brain..it is easy to lose, we can give half effort and still make the playoffs. We already proved that by letting the Jets beat us and still got to the Super Bowl. We can beat these Saints any day. We can let down and come back...no you cannot you must give 110% then dig deeper and want it. The Saints wanted this. They played their hearts out they came back in the second half and started wiith an an onside kick..they played football to win because they had heart and proved it on Super Bowl Sunday.

The good thing is that the Colts are healthy...Maybe they will get to the playoffs next year by staying healthy and play their starters only when they have too.

It worked out well, in that they made it to the Super Bowl, and were healthy going into the playoffs. I don't think it had one whit to do with the Super Bowl result.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2010-02-08 22:32, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Lobl quotes as folows:

It worked out well, in that they made it to the Super Bowl, and were healthy going into the playoffs. I don't think it had one whit to do with the Super Bowl result.

I would have to go back and check out all those posts about this but weren't you one of the advocates that said that the only thing that mattered was winning the Super Bowl and nothing else mattered. The only goal was the Super Bowl championship? Well they did not win so it did not work out so well. So I would have to take issue with your comment that it worked out well.

Losing is contagious. And when your manager sets you up to lose a game in order to win another game does not make any sense. In this instance it proves it as they did not win the Super Bowl. Their whold plan was to stay healthy and go onto win the Super Bowl...it failed miserably they got their butts kicked. They also gave up the chance to be the second team in NFL History to go undefeated and win the Super Bowl. The problem is we will never know what would have happened if they played their starters and beat the Jets and went on to win the remaining games of the regular season. If they won every regular season game and the playoffs the would have been on such a high they would have never lost. Instead they pulled their starters and forfeited the game to a less competent team and for what? I will tell you what...lose their self respect, give away a chance at making NFL history and who knows maybe winning it all by beating the Saints, but we will never know for sure. All we know for sure is that they laid back and put in the second team and got their butts kicked by the Jets and went on to lose the Super Bowl to the Underdog Saints.

Congradulations to The Saints. Both teams got what they deserve.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Colts got what they deserved (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL