The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Toppits (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
674 Posts

Profile of smullins
Hey everyone,

I'm looking into working with a toppit and I don't really know where to start/ what to look for.

I went to the Ammar lecture recently and really loved the work he did with his toppit and the design seemed perfect. However the down side is the price, I'm not sure how much it is from a regular tailor but his service is 140 and I talked to a friend and his cost him close to the same from a local shop. Probably due to it is an odd request haha.

So with that in mind I was looking at David Penn's 21st Topit but I am afraid it's poor quality (low price and mixed reviews).

For the people out there who use toppits... what do you think? Any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thank you
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
Jim Stan Magic Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago Area
240 Posts

Profile of Jim Stan Magic Man
I use the Ammar version. I had a local seamstress put mine is at a cost of $35 each. She even went to the store to match the fabric. She removed the lining from the coat, attached the topit then reassembled the lining. It looks flawless. Unfortunately she moved out west. I guess I was pretty lucky with the price and quality.

Jim
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
It's usually not the cost of the topit itself that's the issue, it's the cost of installation. If you can find a competent tailor who can grasp the concept and do the installation at a reasonable price, then you've struck gold. However, it's often the blind leading the blind when it comes to making and installing topits; i.e., a first-time topit user attempts to explain to a tailor with no experience in such things how it should be made and how it should fit (and proper positioning of the topit within the jacket is crucial). Based on some of the horror stories I've heard (some of which you can find in other threads here at the Café), what results from that situation is usually less than ideal.

It was for that reason that I went with a professional and had my topits made and installed by Lynetta Welch. In my case, the need for an experienced professional was all the more necessary, as I needed them installed into a kilt jacket. Kilt jackets are shorter and fit significantly more snugly than traditional suit coats or sports jackets, making it an exceptionally tricky project.

Lynetta's topit design is similar to the Ammar topit, with a added feature to keep the tail in place. Her work is not inexpensive but, IMO, well worth the cost. Here's a link to her website:

http://www.fabricmanipulation.com/
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
674 Posts

Profile of smullins
Hmmm thanks for the tips... I think I'm going to have to look around here a bit more before I do a send out or something. I have knowlege enough to discribe it if asked to but probably not as much as they would need to know. Also at the Ammar lecture he talked about the original tail problem and how to fix it with the piece of towel.

I liked the Ammar type from what I've seen friends use but have any of you guys handled Penn's? It seems like a good deal becuase it's transferable but I would imagine it would be A LOT easier to "miss."
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
I've not seen the David Penn topit and therefore have no opinion about it.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4986 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Enjoy a lecture clip with the grat Fred Kaps showing a topit in "work":

1976: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2IA5wtbMI
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
674 Posts

Profile of smullins
Thanks for the link! That was cool!
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
monkeypuzzletree
View Profile
Regular user
essex
119 Posts

Profile of monkeypuzzletree
Norm Nielsen seems to have stopped selling his necktie topit. I don't see it on his website. Does anyone know if he's stopped making them? If so, can I still get one anywhere?
restaurant3000
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of restaurant3000
Of course, my mother in law installed all 3 of my current topits for a lot less then a taylor. Before that I did get some work done by a local seamstress for a bargain price as well, but then I didn't know what I was doing and made up what I thought a topit should look like (bit of a mistake but a creative attempt nonetheless).

I use the Michael Ammar type, it's all you need, much improvement after trying the original Patrick Page one.

I have a Norm Nielsen necktie topit, can't say I really use it, but it's a nice fashion accessesory to keep for a magician.

I also had the (Johnny Wong?) necktie & coin, not overly practical but can be used creativly in any hardcore coin routine, had the ability to get the coin back and vanish at will.
Booyah!
dsalley13
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of dsalley13
If you're going to be TopIting small items, like coins or small balls, maybe a good point of entry for you would be the TKO, The Kaylor Option.

It sounds fascinating to me, but I rarely ever wear blouses or shirts that button up the front. If I did, it may not work for me anyway, as buttons for females shirts are on the left side instead of the right. I wonder if the inventor took this into consideration???

dsalley13
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22861 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-02-25 16:24, monkeypuzzletree wrote:
Norm Nielsen seems to have stopped selling his necktie topit. I don't see it on his website. Does anyone know if he's stopped making them? If so, can I still get one anywhere?

Nielsen does not make the Necktie Topit any longer, but I seen that another dealer is selling a version. Can't remember who, but some searching should turn one up.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22861 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-02-10 18:21, smullins wrote:
Hey everyone,

I'm looking into working with a toppit and I don't really know where to start/ what to look for.

I went to the Ammar lecture recently and really loved the work he did with his toppit and the design seemed perfect. However the down side is the price, I'm not sure how much it is from a regular tailor but his service is 140 and I talked to a friend and his cost him close to the same from a local shop. Probably due to it is an odd request haha.

So with that in mind I was looking at David Penn's 21st Topit but I am afraid it's poor quality (low price and mixed reviews).

For the people out there who use toppits... what do you think? Any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thank you

Have you thought about doing it yourself. A beginner book on sewing and a couple of hours is all it takes. I installed an Ammar topit myself. It is not that hard, it is like sewing a button on a shirt. Simple but time consuming.

Or buy the original topit design from Abbott's Magic, it just pins in the coat and only cost a $20.00. CLICK HERE
dsalley13
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of dsalley13
He exhibits a "tell" every time he uses the TopIt (I don't think I'm supposed to say exactly what that is here). No disparagement meant to Mr. Kaps, but Mr. Ammar's techniques and J.S. Berry's routines never exhibit this "tell".

dsalley13
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Toppits (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL