The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Olympic Death (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Luger from Georgia dead after high-speed crash at Olympics

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/luge/news/newsid=39315.html

http://olympics.thestar.com/2010/article......olympics

Related story from last month - Why this track means fear:

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=39462.html
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Who ever failed to cushion the poles should be fired. That is a shame.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
He had trouble on the track Wednesday, as well, apparently. A very dangerous sport, but the track design allowed him at that location to fly off the track into the exposed beams. I don't think athletes on the track expected that should be possible.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On 2010-02-12 18:37, MagicSanta wrote:
Who ever failed to cushion the poles should be fired. That is a shame.

The guy went from 90 miles per hour to 0 in an instant. I don't think cushions would have saved him.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
It would have seemed like effort was made at least. Poor guy.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Looks like a seat belt would have kept him from getting ejected and possibly saved his life. Would not be surprised to see the International Olympic Committee react to improve safety from even freak accidents.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Isn't a luge like a shovel or something? Hard to strap 'em into. This isn't the first luge practice death in pre olympic practice it seems.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
The only other I've seen reported occurred in 1964 when the sport was first introduced. There's something seriously wrong with this track, I think. A lot of athletes have been having problems and have expressed concerns about its degree of technical challenges and level of hazard prior to today.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Do they run on the same track as the bobsleds? If the track isn't built safe then they should move the luge anywhere there is a proven track regardless of where so they can compete.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I believe they run 3 different sliding events on the track. Bobsled, luge, and skeleton. I'm not familiar with the skeleton.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-02-12 22:55, MagicSanta wrote:
Do they run on the same track as the bobsleds? If the track isn't built safe then they should move the luge anywhere there is a proven track regardless of where so they can compete.

As was already answered, yes they do. I think they might have different starting points, but I'm not sure about that.

The article "Why this track means fear" at the link I posted talks about people in all three sports having concerns (valid or not) about the track.

"World Cup overall skeleton champion Mellisa Hollingsworth of Eckville, Alta., freely admits the track unnerves her, saying it 'seems to change every time we come to train. There's a fine line to make it slideable for all three sports.'"

Hopefully this death was just a tragic accident, and nothing like it will occur again.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Surprisingly good opening ceremonies going on right now, by the way. I really liked the fiddlers and fiddle (Irish?) dancers.

And by the way, I actually rode a luge down the track at Calgary Olympic Park once. But I have to admit, it was only on a 100 yard or so training track. It was still fun though.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2010-02-12 22:57, magicalaurie wrote:
I believe they run 3 different sliding events on the track. Bobsled, luge, and skeleton.

http://whistlerslidingcentre.com/sport/s......ult.aspx
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I just read the article, thank you Balducci. I thought it was just another article on the guy dying. They really need to find a track elsewhere if there is a problem, do the right thing. I mean, there is one thing if it is challenging, it is another if it is designed in a way that just can't be ran safely.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On 2010-02-12 23:01, balducci wrote:
Hopefully this death was just a tragic accident, and nothing like it will occur again.

Yeah, hopefully, but it's totally Amateur Hour here. I'm also worried about the state of the mountains.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Are you in BC Andrew? I say move it to Placid, they still have great runs there I think....does Calgary still have their sled runs up?
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Santa, yeah, the Calgary Olympic Park has everything (lots of stuff anyway) still running. The sled runs, the ski jump towers, etc. Last I heard of, anyway. I know that the university still has the Olympic speed track and ice rinks on its campus, and they are heavily used all year round. The 1988 Winter Olympics gave the city a big sports infrastructure boost, and it has mostly all been maintained and is still used. I often see athletes from all parts of the world coming here to Calgary to train.

One of the women carrying the Olympic Torch in the lighting ceremony this evening, Catriona Ann Le May-Doan, I used to live in the same small condo building as her. Small world.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2010-02-12 23:36, MagicSanta wrote:
They really need to find a track elsewhere if there is a problem, do the right thing. I mean, there is one thing if it is challenging, it is another if it is designed in a way that just can't be ran safely.

Absolutely. There's no way they should be running anything on this track in its current state, I'd say. How can they go ahead with a death investigation in progress? As I said earlier, it's not expected it should have been possible for this to have happened. One other such incident reported at the sports intro to the Olympics in 1964. Serious, to make an understatement, design problem with this track. Hopefully Canada's eyes are open, here. Let's get our priorities straight, shall we? Unbelievable it's even a question.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
How about some nets in critical areas to keep the luger from flying out of the course completely? After watching the accident, made me think something like that would be kind of obvious.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I couldn't believe it when I saw the photos. I didn't want to look at them, but they're in your face whether you want to see them or not. News had reported he crashed into a single beam, as though it was some distance from the track. Terrible. There's a row of exposed beams right next to the track coming out of that turn, where the wall is, it appears to me, way too low to contain a rider.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Olympic Death (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL