We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Dobsonn's Choice: Special Effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I'm a big fan of Wayne Dobson, I have all his previous printed materials, and a few of his videos.
I'm about to get this one.
Anyone that allready have it and can give a review?

Author: Dobson, Wayne
Media: Book
Format: Paperback
Publication Summary: 2010

"Special Effects is my latest, and I honestly believe my best book to date. Within its forty pages, you'll encounter thirteen really strong close-up and stand-up routines, and all my own offerings appear here in print for the very first time.

I have stripped away virtually all the sleight-of-hand from most of the routines and presented you with a collection of tried and tested 'workers' that are very strong in effect, but equally easy to perform. As I said of one of them, "If I can do it... you DEFINITELY can!" This, I believe, is true of them all.

Along the way Stephen Tucker, who wrote the book for me, has suggested some very clever additions, tips, and ideas, and even a complete routine.

I have been absolutely amazed that, after being quite the finger-flicker myself for many years, I have been able to retain the strength of each effect, but with the absolute minimum of dexterity being required to achieve it.

There are routines with business cards, playing cards, bottles and bottle caps and even one with a silk and a borrowed packet of cigarettes.

Finally, I'd like to thank Pat Page, Steve Beam and Stephen Tucker for permission to include their three routines, and YOU for at least reading this brief book description. I hope that you are now considering buying Special Effects.

At the next convention we both attend feel free to ask me to show you something from the collection, which I'll be more than happy to do."

Wayne Dobson - 2010.

Included:

Guesstimation - You always know how many cards have been cut off. How? Guessin? Estimating? No...guesstimating!

Some You Win Some You Lose - This one you win...always!

continuous Do As I Do - Pat Page's superb routine with a regular deck of cards and a spectator.

Possessions - All you use are 12 of your business cards and a few borrowed objects for this amazing demonstration of the psychic.

Mobile Phone Keys - Three times you predict a spectator's actions!

ACAAN Almost - A 'Hands-off' version of Any Card At Any Number.

Invisible Deck - No deck of cards, and the very first time I've ever tipped the method!

Lucky Card - My version of Vernon's classic routine 'The Trick That Cannot Be Explained'.

Bottle Opener - The Bottle Vanish routine to end them all.

Marked Phenomena - A brilliant routine from Steve Beam where you find the card they thought of and, incredibly, they find the card you t hought of!

Silk In Cigarette Box - Does what it says on the tin!

Five Card Repeat - My opening stand-up routine for more years than I care to remember.

Nailed - A six inch nail, impales a signed, selection.

$35.00 from H&R Magic Books
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
mrmuji
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of mrmuji
Hi PEO,

I just bought the little book. Looks like it's over priced in respect of the No. of pages it comes in. I haven't got time to read the whole booklet but Some You Win Some You Lose and ACAAN Almost is very nice.

This is my first ever product of Dobson and so far, I m very impressed with the stuff in it.
Best Regards,

Bob
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Bob,

If you like Wayne Dobson's material you should check out his booklets "Dobson's Choice", "Dobson's Choice 2 the sequel", "Dobson's Choice 3 the final cut" and as well his book "WD40".

He has also made a few DVD's that is worth your while to look at.

Not to mention all the tricks he have made.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2010-02-19 03:54, Peo Olsson wrote:
Bob,

If you like Wayne Dobson's material you should check out his booklets "Dobson's Choice", "Dobson's Choice 2 the sequel", "Dobson's Choice 3 the final cut" and as well his book "WD40".

He has also made a few DVD's that is worth your while to look at.

Not to mention all the tricks he have made.

Hi, Peo,

Thanks for mentioning Wayne's WD40. Do you know where the WD40 book can be purchased either in the paperback or, preferably, the hardback edition can be purchased? (A Google search seems to also indicate that an ebook version might also be available.)

Thanks for any info.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
mrmuji
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of mrmuji
Thanks for your recommendation Peo,

I will check out WD40. However the other 3 books you mentioned, from what I know volume 2 is out of print and sold out everywhere, whcih is quite sad Smile

Have you got his TV Choice DVD set? If so, how are they?

Bob
Best Regards,

Bob
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Mike,

You can get WD40 from here: http://www.magic.forgecom.info/magbooks.htm

It comes in hardbound, softbound, or as an e-book whatever you prefear.
The book is the at the end of the page.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Here is Wayne's homepage where you can order most of the things he have made, Books, DVD's and tricks: http://www.waynedobson.co.uk/

Bob, in the DVD section you can read the contents of his TV Choice's.
All I can say is that they are really great and entertaining.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I forgot to mention that the homepage also have a section called "Video Vault" where you can actually see Wayne perform his magic.

Also included are perfomances by Lance Burton, David Copperfield, Norm Nilsen, Ricky Jay, and Johnny Hart
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Peo,

Thanks for the European book source. Do you know of any USA/Canadian source for the book? I just got done paying $35.00 for a 2.2 pound package coming from South Africa and I'm a little gun-shy over the huge postage charges for overseas mailings. (Just, as I'm pretty certain, overseas purchasers are about packages coming from the USA to them.)

Thanks again for the European biik source. It is much appreciated.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Mike,

H&R Magic Books has 3 copies left:
http://www.magicbookshop.com/product_inf......id=12035
mrmuji
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of mrmuji
Thanks for the link Peo,

May I ask if WD40 is mainly stuffs for stage or close up? I highly encourage you to get the Special Effects booklet, which is just so great!

Bob
Best Regards,

Bob
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Bob,

The effects in WD40 are for both stage and close up.
Some of them have appeared in his 3 booklets, and some are new.

I have ordered "Special Effects" directly from Wayne.
He is out of town at the moment, but will be back on tuseday.
mrmuji
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of mrmuji
Hi Peo,

I went to Wayne's site to see his performance. Simple stuffs but turn it into a very entertaining comedy act.

His 3 booklets, only volume 2 is long out of print and sold out everwhere.

Do you have his TV show DVD set, as well as his unclamp DVD. I do want to know if all the stuffs from his TV show are from his booklet, and also appear in WD40.

Thanks
Bob
Best Regards,

Bob
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Ben,

To my knowledge they are separated from each otherts, the effects in the books and what he performs on the DVD's.
mrmuji
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of mrmuji
Thanks Peo,

The reason I asked becasue I saw Wayne's The Invisible Deck appeared on both the Unclamp and TV Show DVD.
Best Regards,

Bob
robert2701
View Profile
New user
Austria
8 Posts

Profile of robert2701
Hi everyone,

is the "Invisible Deck" on Wayne's DVD "Unclamped" the same as in his booklet "Special Effects"? That is, no deck of cards involved and thought of card materializes in invisible purse frame?

Thanks for your help...

Regards,
Robert
Dompa
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
249 Posts

Profile of Dompa
I just orderd at Waynes homepage but so far I didn't got any reply.

Already tried to contact him with the email adress mentioned on his website.

Any ideas how I can contact him??

Very best wishes,
Dominik
Dompa
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
249 Posts

Profile of Dompa
The issue is already solved. I got everything I had offered but no reply on my emails. Don't know why but as long as the order arrives everything is allright imho.

By the way: This book first seems to be very small but the content is beautiful! Really! I like a lot of the described effects!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Dobsonn's Choice: Special Effects (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL