The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Step System by Lee Smith (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
I have been very fortunate to receive pre-release copies of both volumes of Lee Smith’s, “The Step System.” For anyone who is contemplating buying this set (for that is what it is essentially) I’m delighted to offer my opinions in the following review.

First off though, it is no secret that I am a good friend of Lee, as he heads up our Magical Mayhem club in Hertfordshire, England every other Tuesday. So I fully expect the reader to assume that, in an attempt to inflate sales, I am going to give a glowing account regardless of what I actually think! BUT, I think I have a decent enough reputation here on the Café for folk to realise that I’m not prepared to put my neck on the block by promoting rubbish. Had I thought this was just that, I’d have politely not offered a review.

Here goes then:

What do you get? Two DVD’s: Volume One and Volume Two. £17.99 each from RSVPMagic. The man behind RSVPMagic is Russ Stevens, famous for James Brown’s and Mel Meller’s big hit releases, to name but many! So, noticeable and unquestionable pedigree from the outset when it comes to production!

Firstly, I have to admit that I am NOT a huge fan of the so-called Volume I and II magic DVD’s that seem to be the rage these days, when, essentially, they are ONE product. I have aired my views on this quite clearly elsewhere within these pages. In the not too distant past, you would get a dozen or so effects on one DVD for £25. There now seems to be a trend to release content of similar size over two DVD’s for £35. Yes, I’ve heard all about available space on the discs and a whole host of other excuses that weren’t appropriate in the ‘good old days.’ HOWEVER in this instance, I have to reconsider those views. I am firmly of the opinion that these two offer excellent value for money weighing in with nearly two hours viewing time each and both free of filler and gimmickry and are indeed worthy of a double DVD release. But why not packaged as a double DVD release? (Okay, Russ Stevens, and others, will, of course, have marketing reasons and it is, after all, in their best interests to make money.)

My general rule over the years has been that if I get a good effect or two for thirty quid – then I’m a happy bunny! So, that means one good item from a book or DVD or a fantastic stand-alone effect. Over these two DVD’s – there’s plenty more than that and therefore, in my opinion, exceptional value for money.

The content is mainly card magic and the beauty here is that it’s all achieved with an unprepared deck in use and where the spectator is, mostly, not required to do much! i.e. ‘hands-off.’ This allows the spectator to maintain their comfort zone with drink in hand while Lee does the work!

The target audience is primarily those contemplating stepping out into the big world of real performance. The Worker! However, they are equally as relevant to the established pro and the hobbyist, of, shall we say, ‘intermediate’ level.

Whilst S.T.E.P. stands for Simple Tricks Extraordinary Performance, I’d argue that the word Simple could have been replaced by “Sensational.” SIMPLE suggests to me that this DVD is for the beginner. Yes, some of the tricks are fairly easy to accomplish – there’s even a self worker amongst them – but be warned – Lee assumes a certain level of knowledge. Some effects require a pass and/or a palm but Lee teaches these very well. But ALL of the effects that utilise the pass can be achieved by other control methods. So, if you can execute a double lift, a double undercut and a top change then you are well set for a very informative journey!

VOLUME 1

The first thing that will hit you about this DVD, and you’re either going to love it or hate it, is a sense of, “When is Lee going to show the darned trick?” Well, that’s the whole idea of Volume One and I quite liked it. It is far removed from the ‘norm’ in instructional magic DVD production. Lee is joined on the set by the personable Ravi Mayar and the objective of Volume One, though I thought it would have been better placed on Volume Two, is to discuss, in depth, the psychology of performing magic with reference to the effect. Ravi and Lee discuss such topics as, initial approach; audience management; performance style variation depending on audience and location and much more including that all-important “What would you do if...” discussions. It is all relevant to the intention of the learning outcomes of this set. Bear in mind that these DVD’s are aimed at ‘the worker’ and therefore this is vital content that should not be taken lightly or dismissed. If you’re in a rush to fast-forward to the effects and explanations, then you’re missing out on some valuable tuition that, in my opinion, is right up there with Messrs Brown, Ortiz and Weber.

What is lovely about this style is the excellent editing! As Ravi and Lee discuss the finer points of a particular subject, for example “Initial Approach,” the film blends into monochrome footage of real-world performance relevant to the subject with appropriate commentary.

I feel it is important to mention, and I know Lee will want you to know, that the inspiration for the release of these DVDs was the feedback received from the success of Lee’s previously released Walkabout Lecture notes. If you don’t have the lecture notes – no problem! If you do have the lecture notes, there is absolutely no reason not to get these DVDs as you will not be disappointed with the content. The explanations and the discussion can only enhance your learning opportunities and resultant performance.

So Ravi invites Lee to perform the opener, appropriately titled ICEBREAKER. This is a wonderful three-phase transposition which will leave your spectators dumfounded! Not for the faint hearted. This appears to be move-heavy – but well within the reach of many if you’ve got that assumed level of competency mentioned above. But believe me, it will be well worth it. I’m working on nailing this and I feel confident I’ll get there soon!

Item 2 on the agenda, people, is WALKAROUND 2 CARDS TO POCKET. This is another very neat quick-fire transpo utilising a switch and glimpse that will put you two-ahead. As in all the effects, everything you need to know is expertly taught by Lee.

TRANS-BOX-ITION. This is excellent! A chosen card appears under the card box – twice! This routine includes a ‘bonus’ phase where the entire deck appears under the box. It’s a very bold move that is incredibly simple to do but flies by your spectator! I think most of us will like this.

YOU KEEP MINE is an ideal opportunity to give away your details which are printed on the back of a playing card that has the spectator’s signature on it – despite them initially signing a totally different card! This was the only ‘not for me’ moment on this DVD. The trickery is great but I wasn’t much for it and only for the fact that I use business cards for the same objective which leads me nicely on to the next effect in which Lee does just that!

BOLD BUSINESS is a non-card effect and a moment of pure mentalism theatre! It's a drawing dupe routine using nothing but a stack of business cards. It’s very easy to do and can be enhanced by some good acting skills! The result being your spectator keeps your business card! Very good indeed and somehow, negates the need for the effect that preceded it. But, hey – alternative methods are useful.

In my opinion, Lee has left the best till last with the THIRD DEGREE This is one of the finest effects that I’ve seen in a long time and one of those rare moments that mixes magic with mentalism. And, it works!! (Oh yes it does!) The effect involves three cards which are revealed in different ways. The culmination being that a merely 'thought of' card was in the spectators hand all the time. What is very interesting here is the work put into production. The performance is shown in two different locations thereby highlighting Lee and Ravi’s topic of how the same trick can vary in performance style depending on the audience and location. I’m tempted to use that awful phrase, “This, alone, is worth the price of the DVD” but I won’t. But I will agree with Russ’s comments, “A masterpiece of audience management and psychology.” Indeed!

VOLUME 2

This DVD concentrates much more on the magic and, in Lee’s view, are much stronger effects.

It opens with JUST THINK A take on a David Williamson transposition effect that is achieved with nothing more than a convincing top-change. Nothing groundbreaking – but a good effect and again, well taught.

My favourite on this DVD, without doubt is BUSINESS LUNCH This and the aforementioned THIRD DEGREE more than meet my Thirty Quid criteria perfectly. (And there's more!) Business Lunch is Lee’s version of the classic Out to Lunch principle and yet another business card ends up in the spectators hands! However, the way in which it is achieved involves an element of ‘magician gets it wrong’ and a good bit of comedy – depending on your style of course! Once more, Ravi, Lee and the production team go out of their way with this one. The performance is shot in three different types of arena highlighting how you can adapt your style without altering the magic. From a quiet convivial scene – to a roudy bar with the stereotypical and potentially problematic group of youths! Lee provides two teachings here, one of which utilises the Assassin wallet marketed by Alakazam.

KEY TO AMAZEMENT is within the reach of anyone as it is a simple enough self-worker using the much overlooked key card principle. A ‘thought of’ card is found under what appears to be an impossible situation.

As the name suggests, CRAZY CUFFS is Lee’s extended version of another magic classic, Crazy Man’s Handcuffs with a ring hopping on and off the elastic bands as a finale!

Lee’s previously released manuscript, FIFTH ELEMENT is included in this set and I’m glad it is! I have the printed version and I couldn’t really get on with it as I’m one of those who learns better from DVD. This is a brilliant thought of card that disappears from the spectators hands.

STRIKE TWO is another non-card effect. It’s a fantastic two cigarette lighter routine where the logos appear, disappear and swap from lighter to lighter in a quick fire routine that Lee will have you wanting to perform. Put away those rods, paddles and chalk!

Now then Lee - whats all this about? BONACES was titled as such as it is the ‘bonus’ item on the DVD. What utter tosh!! There’s no such thing as a bonus item for goodness sake! It’s on the DVD and you get what you pay for! Rant over. It’s actually a very good four ace routine that you might like to include in your already established four ace routine. Whatever it is, it’s actually far too good to be even considered a mere ‘bonus’ item. Bonus - Schmonus!!!

I’ll leave my biggest and only real(?) criticism to last for this DVD when I mention COMING TOGETHER. I simply cannot understand why magicians put out performance only tricks on an instructional DVD!!! I understand this is so here as permissions could not be sought in time for release as it’s quite a close resemblance of Anniversary Waltz. So, begs the question – “Why put it on the DVD in the first place?” Use the valuable space for another trick which is explained please! (And that goes for everyone!) Tut, tut Lee and Russ. But, hey, no big deal in the grand scheme of things, (Actually, the more attentive watcher of this set will work out a way round this particular example. Nuff said!)

Now, technicalities: The more astute viewers will notice the occasional flash. I didn’t at first viewing and only did when pointed out by Lee. So what? It is important to remember that such occurrences were only down to the camera angles used. It is all stand-up walk-around magic and audience perspective is flawless.

I’ve seen Lee perform all of these effects in real-world performance situations and, I can honestly say, reactions are genuine.

If you are sceptical of the sleights that are required – please don’t be. In fact – this DVD set is worth more when you take into account the extensive teaching of ALL the moves that are required to accomplish the effects. That cannot be said of some instructional DVDs out there that assume knowledge of the sleights required.

Lee has an excellent manner and affable teaching style and its obvious from the beginning that he and Ravi are a good combination. The whole project runs smoothly with none, or very little editing. By the end of it all, you witness a very worn-out Lee Smith who sports an additional days facial growth underpinning the amount of effort that has gone into it!

I hope you like The Step System, I love it and much of it has gone into my repertoire and improved my own performance.

I've tried desperately to avoid hyperbole and I doubt there'll be much disappointment in any purchase. But, as ever, only you can be the real judge!
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
USA
668 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
Hi great review. Definitely on my to buy list.
Anyway I don't know if you mention that the lecture notes are included in the 1'st DVD?
Also I recall that in the lecture notes everything is explained at a left-handed position does this happen with the DVD also?
Lee Smith
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Lee Smith
WOW! what a great honest and indepth review, I am really pleased that you enjoyed the STEP system, and I really hope more people get plenty from this. We have try'd to cover as much as possible on the two volumes.

Rpascual,

Thanks for pointing out about the notes they are indeed attachet to Volume 1.

And in regards to being left handed, everything on the DVD is all taught as standard so there will be no problems if your are right or left handed.

If anyone has anymore questions please feel free to ask, I am happy to help.

Lee.
www.walkaboutmagic.com
www.facebook.com/walkaboutmagic
Effects.
STEP SYSTEM vol 1&2, iCandy, iPhone 10, strike 2.2 and lecture notes. All available on my site.
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hello Everyone,

To all those that have pre-ordered The Step System DVDs, they are due to arrive with us on Wednesday 17th February and will ship out that day. I hope you all enjoy your purchase.

Best,
Russ
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
Cool!! looking forward to them Russ
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Quote:
Now then Lee - whats all this about? BONACES was titled as such as it is the ‘bonus’ item on the DVD. What utter tosh!! There’s no such thing as a bonus item for goodness sake! It’s on the DVD and you get what you pay for! Rant over. It’s actually a very good four ace routine that you might like to include in your already established four ace routine. Whatever it is, it’s actually far too good to be even considered a mere ‘bonus’ item. Bonus - Schmonus!!!

OOOH!! My bad!! BONACES has actually been released NOT as a bonus, BUT, an absolutely inclusive effect. I therefore withdraw the above paragraph and you should not let that influnece your thinking.

Sincere apologies Lee and Russ (But I was commenteing on pre-release info.)
Lee Smith
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Lee Smith
Quote:
On 2010-02-24 17:40, Roger Kelly wrote:
Quote:

OOOH!! My bad!! BONACES has actually been released NOT as a bonus, BUT, an absolutely inclusive effect. I therefore withdraw the above paragraph and you should not let that influnece your thinking.

Sincere apologies Lee and Russ (But I was commenteing on pre-release info.)

No worries Roger,

It was going to be a Bonus item hence the name, it has proven to be one the most popular effects on the DVD's. I saw a few people using it at Blackpool and a couple of people have come up with some great presentations.
www.walkaboutmagic.com
Effects.
STEP SYSTEM vol 1&2, iCandy, iPhone 10, strike 2.2 and lecture notes. All available on my site.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Sorry, I don't have the patience for long reviews but I purchased and am enjoying these DVDs. Not to lump all you guys from over there together, but I have enjoyed a number of DVDs from England that stress entertaining magic over complex plots and knuckle busting. I am practicing my Ponta the Smith as much as any "wanna be" but these DVDs have reinforced my belief in what plays the best for a lay audience. A question for Lee; in "walk around 2 cards to pocket", have you tried starting with revealing, the second card in the pocket (you missed it the first time let me show you again) and then revealing the changed card in hand. I have not done the trick enough to have an opinion yet.
Finally, I am satisfied with the purchase so obviously the market will bear what it will bear but I am not crazy about the value for american dollar on the two DVD sets. This is coming from someone who has purchased at least half of RSVP's catalog.
Lee Smith
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Lee Smith
Quote:
On 2010-02-26 10:55, Xcath1 wrote:
Sorry, I don't have the patience for long reviews but I purchased and am enjoying these DVDs. Not to lump all you guys from over there together, but I have enjoyed a number of DVDs from England that stress entertaining magic over complex plots and knuckle busting. I am practicing my Ponta the Smith as much as any "wanna be" but these DVDs have reinforced my belief in what plays the best for a lay audience. A question for Lee; in "walk around 2 cards to pocket", have you tried starting with revealing, the second card in the pocket (you missed it the first time let me show you again) and then revealing the changed card in hand. I have not done the trick enough to have an opinion yet.
Finally, I am satisfied with the purchase so obviously the market will bear what it will bear but I am not crazy about the value for american dollar on the two DVD sets. This is coming from someone who has purchased at least half of RSVP's catalog.

Hi xcath1,

I am pleased you are enjoying the DVD's, In regards to your question I have not try'd it that way, I have played with a few different handlings and I will now try this. (I think it could play great) I will let you know when I have had a chance to test this.

Please let me know how you get on with it yourself after you have had a chance to perform it.

As I mentined on the dvd most of the effects have room to play with and make them your own and I am pleased that people are doing this, It has been great hearing different peoples variations.

Many thanks and I hope have fun with the other effects.

Lee.
www.walkaboutmagic.com
Effects.
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Quote:
On 2010-02-26 10:55, Xcath1 wrote:
Sorry, I don't have the patience for long reviews...

:) You wanna complain! How about the patience writing 'em?!

Joking apart, I'm a bit like that too and tend to go straight to the effects. However, I just wanted to do this set justice as I really think it deserves it.

I know what you mean about the exchange rate connundrum - we all suffer from it from time to time on both sides of the pond. But back to my earlier adage - if you get one decent effect - that makes it into your setlist - for, say £10/15 $15/25 then that has to be considered good value. This set, in my opinion, has more than the average.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I was actually referring to the patience of writting of them and my lack of it, I happily read your excellent and complete review. Best wishes
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I was actually referring to the patience of writting of them and my lack of it, I happily read your excellent and complete review. Best wishes
hornet
View Profile
Veteran user
Herts, England
374 Posts

Profile of hornet
Thanks to Rogers fantastic review I picked this up at the recent Blackpool convention.

Lee was kind enough to demo a couple of effects for me at the RSVP stall, and that was enough to make me part with my cash! I don't think I can add anything to Roger's (very thorough) review other than to say this is the best set of DVD's I've bought in a LONG time! These volumes are filled with high impact effects that are within the reach of most performers I would imagine. I can honestly say, there's no filler here.

Lee seemed like a thoroughly nice guy when I spoke to him at Blackpool (seeming genuinely pleased that I was choosing to spend my money on his DVDs, not the case at all the dealers I visited!!), and as Roger mentions, this affable conversational style really comes across in both the performance and explanation segments of the DVD, making this a real pleasure to watch!

Good luck with this Lee!

Paul
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Quote:
On 2010-02-27 12:15, Xcath1 wrote:

Ah - I see. No bother. Even if you had meant reading - it makes perfect and acceptable sense. My response was tongue-in-cheek anyway.
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1524 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
A good friend of mine, max curd recently posted his thought on lee's superb dvd's on the blackpool blog: http://www.blackpoolmagic2010.blogspot.com
he isn't a memeber on the Café, but has given me permission to post his review here
I'll be back later htis week with my own review
enjoy!
Lee Smith's STEP SYSTEM (simple tricks extraordinary power) DVD Review. Producted by RSVP Magic. (Reviewed by Max)

Welcome to the "The step System" the brand new two disc set from UK magician Lee Smith. So, what is "The System"? Well, it stands for Simple Tricks Extraordinary Power and proves that You can get fantastic reactions and make a great living performing effects that really are simple to do. The reaction on these DVD's prove it!

Lee is a professional full time close up magician and has had a lot of experience in the real world.
His DVD's have been shot in front of real spectators so no L&L studio performing in front of fake audiences. (I'm not saying L&L productions are bad but using them to make what I’m writing easier to understand).

Step System volume 1:

Ice Breaker
Lee’s 3 Phase opening routine. Cards jump from hand to hand, vanish and appear in impossible places! Included is an in depth discussion on character types for different audiences, approach and much, much more.

I really like this routine because it is very well structured in that it seems to laymen to get better at each phase. This trick is a great ice breaker and a nice opening trick.

Walkaround 2 Cards to Pocket
Two cards are lost in the deck, then found and then they swap places. Snappy, fast and a real attention grabber. Utilizes the Ollie Mealing ‘Switch Trick’, one of the best glimpses ever! Worth the price of the DVD!

This is a nice version of the classic card to pocket routine because it involves two spectators which is good because if you’re a professional you will know the more people you involve in your tricks the better reactions you will get. Also it has a transposition of the two chosen cards in it which just enhances the trick loads.

Trans-box-ition
One of Lee’s signature tricks being explained for the first time. An awesome routine in which a card jumps under the card box not once but twice and even escapes a spectator’s hand. A third phase ends with the ENTIRE DECK UNDER THE BOX. Best of all its easy to do!

This is a nice card under box routine but again what makes it great is that a traditional card under box routine would be done with one card but Lee goes a step further and uses two selections and I think it’s a really nice effect.

You Keep Mine
A superb multi-phase routine that ends with the spectators signature jumping from their card to one that has your business details on the back. The perfect giveaway that’s sure to get you more bookings.

I think it’s a great routine because the kicker at the end is amazing to laymen and the fact that you can hand it out and it has your details on it is great.

Bold Business
An amazing feat of mind power. Leave the spectator thinking you really can read minds! A miracle using nothing more than a marker pen and some business cards (again worth the DVD).

This one is a great impromptu bit of mentalism and the fact that it's using your business card which you can handout at the end it makes it a good business card handout trick.

Third Degree
Three cards are chosen, one even imagined. All three are revealed in progressively harder ways until the magician reveals that the thought of card has been in their hands right from the start. A masterpiece of audience management and psychology. his

This is a lovely effect and has a real hands off feel about it. This one I will definitely be adding to my repertoire. A great way to sell yourself as a real master of your art.

All of the tricks on this DVD are great, very commercial and practical. My favourite trick would have to be Third Degree.

Step System volume 2:

Just Think
You predict a card that the spectator merely thinks of and repeat the feat for an amazing kicker ending.

This is a great trick inspired from a routine by David Willimason called "Cocktale Dazzlers" on his DVD "Magic Farm". Like me because Lee is left handed he had some trouble with performing the trick but has come up with a nice alternative which allows him to do his take on the first phase of David's routine.

Business Lunch
Lee’s preferred handling for the Out to Lunch principle, leaving the spectator with the best memento they could have, your business card. The ultimate giveaway routine that’s sure to leave a lasting impression with your audience.

Another fantastic trick were Lee has taken an old classic and put a twist on it and made it much better. Again you give your card out at the end so it’s a nice business card handout trick.

Key To Amazement
A self-working miracle where a thought of card is found under seemingly impossible conditions. This will freak out magicians and lay people alike!

This is a nice little clever routine because it seems so impossible and the best part about it is the its self working!

Crazy Cuffs
A classic of magic explained. A borrowed ring jumps onto the band for a kicker ending.

A nice classic of magic with a nice touch of Lee Smith.

Coming Together
A performance only of Paul Green’s wonderful effect where two signatures end up on the same card. If you like Anniversary Waltz you will love this. Watch Lee’s take on this for Walkaround performances.

A very nice adaption to Paul Green's great effect, nice thing about it is if you already do anniversary you will know most versions you need a gimmicked card but with Lee Smith's adaptation to Paul Green's effect you don’t need any gimmicked cards so its impromptu. I think I will be adding this to my repertoire!

Fifth Element
Lee’s take on Paul Harris’ ‘Whack My Pack’ plot. Sure-Fire and plays great to the largest of groups.

This one is great, Lee showed me it before he realised his DVD's at Blackpool this year and I totally loved it, such a nice effect and very direct. This is one that you will use.

Bonaces
A brand new four ace routine, released here for the very first time! This is a multi-phase routine that you will learn and use!

A fantastic trick which has many different parts to it which on a whole makes it a really cool trick and I can imagine it will play very big to a large audience if you are doing walkaround or table hopping.

Strike Two
taking an old classic and bringing it right up-to-date, watch as Lee gets screams and gasps with this multi-phase lighter routine explained in complete detail. Another routine that you WILL USE!

This one in my opinion is worth the price of both DVD's alone. I have watched Lee perform it live to real people and it packs small, plays big. It is something you are going to add to you repertoire without a shadow of a doubt. It’s so simple yet so affective.

Okay basically I'm just going to quickly sum it all up and give my final thoughts now.
Lee's DVD was aimed at the sort of beginner magician that wanted to go out into the real world but was not confident enough to do so, I would just like to say although the material on the DVD was aimed at sort of beginners all of it can be used by the professional magician because the material is so strong, direct and commercial.
I am very happy with my purchase (Lee will that funny lol) and I could recommend it to any magician of any standard. Also I would just like to say that Russ Stevens did a superb job at filming it and Ravi Mayar as assisting Lee throughout the explanations.

It's a 10/10 * from myself Max Curd and if you like what you heard visit

http://www.rsvpmagic.com/
Lee Smith
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Lee Smith
Hi guys,

hornet,

Thank you so much, I am pleased you enjoying the DVDs.

I do think these volumes are as much about behind the magic and the people skills, approach, as they are about the effects. I would like to say another massive thank you to Ravi Mayar for helping with the project he really does add so much to the expanations he has seen the material in real time so was great to have his input to make things clearer. and to Russ for putting them together so well. (Thanks guys)

The response to the STEP SYSTEM has been fantastic so thanks so much for all the kind words on here other forums and all the emails. I hope you all continue to enjoy the content, the feed back from everyone makes it all worhtwhile.

Matt I look forward to hearing your thoughts as well.

Thanks Guys.

Lee.
www.walkaboutmagic.com
Effects.
pkmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Paul knight
140 Posts

Profile of pkmagic
I picked up volume 1 at Blackpool. I only got around to watching it Saturday night. I instantly loved it. In a strange way, it was like a breath of fresh air, and covered something I already new - simple strong magic is the best for laymen.

Sunday, I was performing at an exhibition. Now, don't get me wrong, normally I will practice effects countless numbers of times before I even dare try them out on the paying public.........but low and behold, I instantly used at least three of Lees routines from Volume 1. BANG. What a reaction!

My order for volume number 2 is in!

Pros, don't be discouraged by the fact that these are relatively easy on the mechanical side. A tru pro will know the value of performance - and all the material on volume 1 allows ample room for this.

Lee.....great stuff.......and man that peek is simply excellent, so many ways to go with it!
Lee Smith
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Lee Smith
Quote:
On 2010-03-01 06:47, pkmagic wrote:
I picked up volume 1 at Blackpool. I only got around to watching it Saturday night. I instantly loved it. In a strange way, it was like a breath of fresh air, and covered something I already new - simple strong magic is the best for laymen.

Sunday, I was performing at an exhibition. Now, don't get me wrong, normally I will practice effects countless numbers of times before I even dare try them out on the paying public.........but low and behold, I instantly used at least three of Lees routines from Volume 1. BANG. What a reaction!

My order for volume number 2 is in!

Pros, don't be discouraged by the fact that these are relatively easy on the mechanical side. A tru pro will know the value of performance - and all the material on volume 1 allows ample room for this.

Lee.....great stuff.......and man that peek is simply excellent, so many ways to go with it!

The peek is amazing, I use it all the time when I first try'd it I just smiled. A big thanks to Ollie Mealing from where I first saw it. I think it is worth the project just for this move alone if anyone gets as much use as I have from it.

Again I am glad you got so much from the Step System and have been using the effects already.
www.walkaboutmagic.com
Effects.
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Quote:
On 2010-02-28 17:13, matt.magicman wrote:

Bold Business
An amazing feat of mind power. Leave the spectator thinking you really can read minds! A miracle using nothing more than a marker pen and some business cards (again worth the DVD).

This one is a great impromptu bit of mentalism and the fact that it's using your business card which you can handout at the end it makes it a good business card handout trick.

Patrik Kuffs?
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
It sounds like an ok set, unless you have other DVDS that have the same tricks or variations. I love buying and watching DVDS, but not just to see the same tricks that are on my other DVDS. How many "new versions" of the Anniversary Waltz do we need?

I only perform for fiends and family, but I hear 'name' professionals talk about how much they practice a routine ( sometimes a year ) before performing it in public ( and rarely ad new things at all ). On this thread, a week later, someone says they performed 3 of the tricks from the first DVD at a paid gig. Is that believable?
~Joe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Step System by Lee Smith (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL