The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Spike - 'The Sharpie Edition' (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11912 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2010-02-17 00:34, Christopher Lyle wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-02-16 04:46, DeeChristopherMagic wrote:

There is NO WAY that this can fail - It's a simple gimmick, but really great and very effective!!

NEVER SAY NEVER! Just remember...the more times you do it, the more times you risk something going wrong.

I have spiked myself before. Luckily for me, I missed all the "important stuff" in my hand and after about 3 weeks, I was back to my old self.

Remember...never say never! When you think it can never happen...that's when it does!

Still an awesome routine...but don't ever say that it can NEVER happen!

Christopher

I cringe everytime I read your post. Thanks for heads up.
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
------------eXtrementalism------------ ..........IT'S ALL IN YOUR MIND..........
1246 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
I like it...
palaursen
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of palaursen
Hi. Does the upgrade-pack only contains 2 bases? Not an extra spike?

Quote:
On 2010-07-17 18:22, Daniel Lander wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-07-17 15:41, Avocat wrote:
Has anyone determined yet whether the "upgrade" includes two extra bases?

The ad copy certainly implies it, but it'd be better to have it confirmed beforehand.

Yes, there are 2 extra bases in the upgrade.
Matthew U
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of Matthew U
Hi Palaursen , The upgrade pack does not include a actual spike . Hope this helps

Matthew
JD_UK
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of JD_UK
I'm considering this or Cobra fang.

They both look very dangerous but can anyone compare the strength of the spikes so that I know which one will be picked up by my minimax.

I want strong as the minimax is very weak.

I'm considering a cobra sharpie but it's very expensive so will have to be minimax for now.

Many thanks

JD
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
This is very strong. I prefer using a PK ring and am very happy.

Dan.
JD_UK
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of JD_UK
Thanks!

I really like the look of the cobra sharpie but I don't want to give tue spec anything to suspect I want purely hands off.

I like the loom of spike & it can be examined but cobra fang looks more organic.

Fang is a lot cheaper too!

Hmmm.... Choices choices!
Jaz2005
View Profile
Veteran user
I wish I had time to get more than
339 Posts

Profile of Jaz2005
Quote:
On 2011-06-29 18:06, JD_UK wrote:
I'm considering this or Cobra fang.

They both look very dangerous but can anyone compare the strength of the spikes so that I know which one will be picked up by my minimax.

I want strong as the minimax is very weak.

I'm considering a cobra sharpie but it's very expensive so will have to be minimax for now.

Hi , with the latest Spike, you get a Sharpie gimmick with Spike that does all the work and actually writes.

The upgrade pack includes two extra bases for the original Spike plus a Sharpie Gimmick. Hope this helps. MiniMax will detect Spike from a very good distance
Regards
Jim
Many thanks

JD
MarcLavelle
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of MarcLavelle
I use my minimax with this, I hide it in a sharpie lid. I keep the sharpie gimmick on hand as an emergency backup. Minimax has a great distance with Spike

Quote:
On 2011-06-30 16:20, JD_UK wrote:
Thanks!

I really like the look of the cobra sharpie but I don't want to give tue spec anything to suspect I want purely hands off.

I like the loom of spike & it can be examined but cobra fang looks more organic.

Fang is a lot cheaper too!

Hmmm.... Choices choices!
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1612 Posts

Profile of randirain
All these people talking, except Chris, have never slammed there hand down on a spike under a cup before.

I have, so has Chris, and so has another friend of mine I know personally.
It can, and will happen! I don't care how sure you think you are. It will happen!

I still do a spike roulette routine, but I run no risk at all of hurting myself.
Which is what somebody that relies on their hands to make a living should be doing.

Randi
MarcLavelle
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of MarcLavelle
Unless someone sneaks a second identical spike under a cup, I run no risk either. And even then, I'd still find it.
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1612 Posts

Profile of randirain
Quote:
On 2011-07-05 14:20, MarcLavelle wrote:
Unless someone sneaks a second identical spike under a cup, I run no risk either. And even then, I'd still find it.

Ah.. Famous last words.

I said that once too. I know quite a few people who said that as well.
All those people on youTube said that exact thing.
The 'Hole in the hand' club.

Randi
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1703 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
I'm with Randi on his one.

The risk you run is the ever-present, inadvertent human error of hitting your hand down on the cup you are concentrating on avoiding.

Knowing where it is does not equate to hitting the other cup.
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Watch the brilliant effect, Rule of Three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CytuXsCbL0 and order it from www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Rogerstatonmagic
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Rogerstatonmagic
I do this trick all the time, a few times a night...no errors no worry
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Quote:
On 2013-03-23 18:10, Rogerstatonmagic wrote:
I do this trick all the time, a few times a night...no errors no worry

I remember watching someone screw this trick up on youtube. That was enough to cure me of ever wanting to do this trick ! I wonder how a frozen hot dog instead of a spike would go over. Second thought, that would probably hurt too.;0)
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

This one is pretty fool proof unless you forget which cup to avoid.

Dan.
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Quote:
On 2013-03-24 07:50, Amazing Magic Co wrote:
This one is pretty fool proof unless you forget which cup to avoid.

Dan.

Since I have a terrible memory , I could save time, and just impale my hand as soon as I get the effect. Lol
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

LOL ... Add a little magic and you might be able to start a new religion.
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
959 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
I love this routine but risk is always there. I once read that many seasoned performers have injured their hand knowing the right one to avoid. Something to do with nervousness and Subconsciously going for the one to avoid.
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10566 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I just received the new "Stage" edition of this yesterday and I'm very impressed with the beautifully crafted props and the now much larger extended size of the Spike.

I've been using an Outlaw Scorpion in the past and this is at a whole new level. Very impressive.

Still debating whether to use the simple and efficient analog method or digital for the detection - I may use both just for peace of mind. I won't use for every show but for special occasions.

I liked the dvd that comes with this set too - good explanations, lots of warnings, however the spectator used in the demo seemed a little non chalant considering the effect lol.

I may avoid the last minute switch that Penn and others use for the final cups. As cool as it may be I'm guessing that it might be the biggest cause for screw ups and things going wrong. My preference may be for the spectator to hide under one cup, performers back turned, mixed by spectator so they don't even know which cup holds the spike - then spec #'s cups 1-5.

Overall the new "Stage" version is really nice and the spike itself is extremely powerful in terms of the gimmick.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Spike - 'The Sharpie Edition' (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL