The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Out of Sleight -- Out of Mind -- Lee Keebler's cups and balls routine DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I think most of us on the Café have seen Lee Keebler (djkuttdecks) do his cups and balls routine on a youtube video. I have seen him do this routine live on several occasions. During the IBM convention in Nashville last Summer, Lee came over to the Gaylord Resort and Convention Center and performed it many times for magicians and non-magicians, alike. He always fooled and delighted his audiences.

During these performances, he managed to perform for Michael Ammar, one of the most knowledgeable cups and balls performers there is, and for several other knowledgeable C&B performers. There were several elements of Lee's performance that all acknowledged as original.

Naturally, we all wanted him to put this on a DVD. He has done so, and he has released it as "Out of Sleight -- Out of Mind."

So, what's on the DVD? First, you have a close-up show which includes the Gypsy Thread, the Flying Franklins (a coins across routine explained on the DVD), some card work, some mentalism and finally his cups and balls routine. The main focus of the review will be the cups and balls routine.

Lee's routine consists largely of penetrations and variations on this theme. He finally ends with a large ball and loads of two stacks of loose poker chips. The loading is well done. He avoids one of my pet peeves, which is the dropping of the entire cup behind the table top in order to keep the loading invisible. Proper loading management eliminates this in most situations. The routine is done seated.

Without going into unnecessary revelations, Lee has taken a principle with which most of us are familiar, and has used it to an extent that it has not been used before. He has invented a new vanish (or penetration, depending on how you perceive this!), and he has combined this with proper misdirection to cause the audience to completely misperceive what they have actually seen. His application of this principle, for example, actually enables him to apparently show all three cups empty, very slowly, when, in fact, they are not.

In former times, many of the things on this DVD would have required a special set of cups. Lee's new approach makes this possible with almost all of the standard sets of cups that are on the market. There is one visible penetration that won't even work with the special sets that are available, unless you perform it with one of the standard cups in the special sets. (I know that's confusing, but I don't want to give anything away here.)

The final loads are very well-executed. The loads of the poker chips require a special gimmick that Lee shows you how to make. The cost of both gimmicks is less than $5.00. If you do the routine seated, you will be able to show the cups completely empty after producing the chip loads. If you are standing, and you wish to do this, you may need to make some alterations to your table.

If you are a cups and balls aficionado, I would recommend that you get this DVD, if only to add some of the elements Lee uses in his routine. Lee also recommends that you use the principle he employs to add spice to your own work.

The cost of the DVD is $35.00, and it comes with "that special something" (I hate that expression!) that you will need to make this happen.

It is well worth the money.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1469 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Thanks for that Bill.
Can you tell us where the DVD is available from please?
"But there isn't a door"
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Nashville
660 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
We have officially got the DVD's in hand, as of yesterday. So after reading Bill's very much appreciated review, I have officially opened the store online at http://www.outofsleight.com

This is an advanced opening so please email me from the contact page after purchase and let me know!

I sincerely hope everyone enjoys this as much as I did.

-Lee

Happy Valentines Day!!! Get this for your "true" love... CUPS!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Bill, thanks so much for letting us know about this dvd!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Hi, Lee.

Him Lee.

Kudos to you. What a nice C&Bs routine. It is obvious that a lot of thinking and choreography went into this. Thanks for sharing and making this available to the magic community.

BTW, on your site, you have a video clip entitled "Flying Franklin's bonus trick". Is that effect a bonus that is included on the C&Bs DVD?

Thanks for the info.

Best,

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Hi Mike!
Bill Palmer mentioned above " the Flying Franklins (a coins across routine explained on the DVD)".

Hope that helps!!

Best,
Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Nashville
660 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Yes, the three fly is a "bonus" effect. It is listed as a bonus because it uses 2 standard gimmick coins that most coin workers have, but are not provided. Just something extra to give value to the DVD. Glad everyone enjoyed it.

The current price on the website includes shipping and handling for the continental US. If your are out side of the states please contact me via the contact page and we will calculate the best shipping price for you.

-Lee
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Nashville
660 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
This project has been recently re-released! We reshot the dvd in full 1080 HD and at every angle imaginable. Also, we added a full hour interview with Mr. Bill Palmer as a bonus. It was an incredible labor of love and I hope people really enjoy it. Special thanks should also be given to Donnie at RNT2 for sponsoring the project. The DVD is current available for purchase from http://www.outofsleight.com or http://www.RNT2.com

-Lee

http://www.outofsleight.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Out of Sleight -- Out of Mind -- Lee Keebler's cups and balls routine DVD (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL