We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Mad Hatter's Hat Project (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
Below is a picture of the mold on the rotisserie. I just applied the Mold Release and one layer of glass. Tomorrow I will apply another coat of epoxy fiberglass.

Applying Mold Relase Agent

Dan
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
I applied the second coat of epoxy fiberglass today. Next step after resin cures is to apply filler and sand.

Second layer of fiberglass

Dan
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Must be a trick of perspective, but that hat almost looks big enough to pull a person out of (okay, maybe a small child...) How much do you estimate it will weigh?
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
The hat is 20 inches high and the elongated part of the top of it is 20 inches. I haven't weighed it yet but it is not very heavy right now, even with the foam and plywood core.

Dan
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
I know you are probably real close to being finished but I ran across this for anyone else who might be interested.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Burtons-Mad-Hatter-Hat/
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Looking good Dan! Danielle is very lucky to have a father that can....and that is willing to build all these nice props for her!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
I enjoy building them. I am lucky to have a daughter that uses the things I build for her and a wife that creates routines for them.

Here are a few more photos:

Hat Filler 1

Hat Filler 2

My daughter, Danielle, just had an article in the March edition of The Linking Ring magazine. It turned out really great. Please ready if you have time. Here is a thread with a link to the article.

Surprising Young Lady

Dan
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Dan, that was a nice article! Congratulations to Danielle! (And to you and your wife too). I had not put it together until I started reading the article when I received my Linking Ring magazine this past Friday, but I remember when Danielle first started performing magic. You or your wife had inquired about some sort of routine (may have been a patriotic theme) for your daughter. We emailed (or PMed) back and forth about it. She was going to perform for her ring I believe. It was several years ago, and I think Danielle was just a little thing at the time. Wow.....I can't believe how far she has come. I'm thankful to know she really stuck it out! It's good to finally realize who you all are. I knew you, but I did not really know your association with one another.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
Regan,

Thanks. People like you and others on this forum have really helped us through the years with suggestions and support. Magic is one of the things the three of us really have in common. It helps bring us together.

The next 2 months are going to be busy at work. Lots of O.T. on the weekends. I am going to have to use evenings after work to make progress on this Mad Hatter's hat. This and three other illusions need to be made for her new show. I hope I can get it done.

Dan
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2010-03-15 12:35, Zazz wrote:
Regan,

Magic is one of the things the three of us really have in common. It helps bring us together.

Dan

Dan, I know what you mean. My wife and I have only one daughter, and we perform together (magic & music). I feel really blessed to be able to do it as a family.
Mister Mystery
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Hi Dan,

Very nice work on the hat. You do wonderful work for sure. I just wish I could get do that way to the club meetings more but the way the gas is, not so much.

The fiberglass resin does not attack the foam core? Maybe you can hip me to building a prop I have been putting off for way too long.

Best wishes,
Dr. Solar
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
Dr. Solar,

The research I did told me that epoxy resin would attack the foam and polyester resin would not. I weighed the pros and cons of each and wanted the superior strength and lack of bad smell of the epoxy.

After I shaped the foam, I painted it with a thick coat of Elmer’s glue, followed by a lightweight spackle to get the shape I wanted and then a coat of latex primer and mold release. This put a barrier between the foam and the resin. It worked fine.

I did a test by putting epoxy directly on foam and it did eat it a little.

Today I removed the foam and I am happy with the results. I will post some pictures later.

Dan
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
Looking good Dan, I cant wait to see the completed project
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
This is my first weekend off of work in three weeks. I can finally get back to my project.

Today I fiberglassed the top and bottom inside of the hat and added a reinforcement band around the center. This should be the last of the glass work.

Dan
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
471 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Zazz,
You are one very dedicated (and talented) dad!
Very impressive!
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
Hat is almost ready to cover with fabric.
Laid out table and will buy materials this weekend.
Bought most of the electronics today.

Dan
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
471 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Anxious to see more photos of your project! Smile
Chris LaBarge
View Profile
Regular user
Upstate New York
134 Posts

Profile of Chris LaBarge
Yes very anxious to see how things are going. I can't wait till my little girl is old enough to perform (hopefully she'll want to) so that I can get my hand dirty in projects like this.
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
Thanks for the interest.
Having fun building the workings of the table.
Very time consuming creating small parts out of aluminum.
Bought a sheet of aluminum for the hat brim today.

Dan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Mad Hatter's Hat Project (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL