The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Birthday Party Opener (replacing the coloring book??) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
TheMagicianGuide
View Profile
New user
Wheat Ridge Colorado
90 Posts

Profile of TheMagicianGuide
For the younger audience set, we try variations on the change bag (even having several set with different items throughout the show - identical change bags and you can just keep going, haha)
TheMagicianGuide.com - National Magician Directory.

The Magician Guide is part of Kids Party Resource network of childrens entertainers and event rentals.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8710 Posts

Profile of harris
And of course their are variations to the Coloring Book.

From Motivation...New Ideas

to 4-6 way Mother goose and other such variation.

To be honest, I haven't used any for a while. Don't know why I stopped, the routine
got a good reaction. The prop was always used with something else, colored streamers, noise makers, harmonica, hats and yes even mouth coils. (oops you must have missed the books in "throwing the colors".
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
tiriri
View Profile
Loyal user
Ecuador
247 Posts

Profile of tiriri
I find it interesting that doing magic for kids parties here in Ecuador I have encountered exactly the same problem with the coloring book as JAEIII. Here I have found that the kids from wealthier families own it because their parents travel more and buy it for their children in places where magic shops are more common than here. So I have not used it already in a few parties.

On the other hand, as an opener I use a quick silk appearance from flash paper. I think anything with flash paper is a good opener because it amazes the kids from the beginning and catches their total attention for whatever follows that simple effect.

After that I usually do something funny with the same silk and a TT.

Best regards,

Giovanni.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Wolly's story is interesting.

Because things are everday and common to us we forget how strong they actually are magically.

I've always thought handle change bags are a lot stronger than flat ones. It's more of a contrived method so far less obvious.

The colouring book, like the Svengali deck, is amazing for people who've never seen it before.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13413 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2010-02-17 01:18, wbzwolinski wrote:
... I pull out the coloring book and low and behold I have a teenager yell out "oh you have got to be kidding me!" Obviously this group had seen the trick before. I just responeded with "oh no I'm not!" and went into the routine. It went on for 10 - 15 minutes and it was the silliest and funniest part of the show. They were all taking part in the effect...I was making them laugh....they were making me laugh - and quite honestly that silly old overused coloring book was the best part of that show that afternoon.

:applause: Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

That's what you call an entertainer!!!! I can guarantee it nothing to do with the book and everything to do with your attitude and showmanship. Great to hear.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
Take a look at this video, I think you can get the same reactions as the coloring book. I am considering buying this myself
http://www.dazzlingmagic.com/kid_show_magic.htm
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
I like it , but..coloring book..$10 this $125?

Just saying hard to compare the two

Don
magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
Well, my 900 post..thank you...

Don
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13413 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-02-17 18:54, MagicB1S wrote:
Take a look at this video, I think you can get the same reactions as the coloring book. I am considering buying this myself

You think? Of course you could. Why buy a prop that gives you no more entertainment than the plain old coloring book. Neither are any more magical to little kids and you save yourself $100+.

The reactions were standard look-don't see right-out-of-the-magic-shop-buy-it-today-and-do-it-in-my-next-show reactions. It was a good performance but a bit sterile and still very out-of-the-box-script-heavy. A performance that has been done for less than a year or so.

No disrespect to the performer. He did well and will probably do much better once it's been done for a couple more years.
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
The point I was trying to make with this prop is it is different then the coloring book, you don't get every little kid saying they have one or saw it yesterday at the "other Magicians Magic show" As far as the script, you don't have to use there patter , WRITE YOUR OWN. and as far as saving Money you can say that about almost anything, I love Chance wolfs products but why buy his take apart Vanish Box for $225.00 when you can get the same reactions from Daytona Magic's Take apart Vanish for $48.00 You Buy chances Products because they are Different they Look Different, The Magician Next door doesn't have one That's why, Its not about saving money it is about investing in your show and making yourself different from the rest giving the customer an experience they can"t get with Magician "B"
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13413 Posts

Seems like a big expense to me for very little magic just to keep kids from saying "I've seen that before".

I'd rather take the coloring book and add some surprises to it that they've never seen before.

Anyone thought about using some zone zero techniques and produce things from inside the coloring book like an orange, a box of crayons?
LMLipman
View Profile
Elite user
Falls Church, Va.
444 Posts

Profile of LMLipman
A friend of mine makes his own coloring books, often using popular characters such as Harry Potter, Spiderman, etc. It's the same effect, but the kids don't shout out: I've got that! when he does it.

Larry Lipman
Lorenzo the Great!
Larry Lipman
Lorenzo the Great
www.lorenzomagic.com
wbzwolinski
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of wbzwolinski
Quote:
On 2010-02-18 14:26, LMLipman wrote:
A friend of mine makes his own coloring books, often using popular characters such as Harry Potter, Spiderman, etc. It's the same effect, but the kids don't shout out: I've got that! when he does it.

Larry Lipman
Lorenzo the Great!

I've often thought of doing this myself...maybe not with the coloring book but with other props. I always thought that there would be a copyright issue though and so never have pursued it.

Wolly
Keep it Simple...Play it BIG!!!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13413 Posts

The Perverse Coloring Book Routine:

Let's color the book together... "yippee".

"Ok, everybody grab some orange out of the air and throw it at the coloring book." They do. You all look. no luck. magician looks like an idiot. show both sides of the coloring book. Completely flat. Roll it up and out drops a huge orange.
Same thing later with a lemon "yellow". Someone shouts out "yellow" one too many times. You tell the kids "that's enough yellow. no more". they keep shouting. you beg them to stop. frustrated, you stop and pour yellow liquid out of the coloring book into a pitcher to reduce the amount of yellow. then scold the kids. you beg the kids not to say green. they do. the book is still uncolored and you laugh at the kids expense but you pour ALL the water out of the pitcher (cuz you're now thirsty) into a bucket but it's suddenly now green. they say green later. once again, the pitcher is full of green liquid. and it happens again. more green. nothing works like you expect it too but magic is happening all around you.

lots you can add to this:
color changing tie, comedy funnel, colorful mouth coil, etc.

It would be a great perverse routine. Tons of surprises for everyone. I think "i've seen that one before" would be the least of your worries or half encouraged.

Perhaps in the end the book never does get colored at all, or candy of all different colors pours out. or it just ends up blank.

There's a routine in 5x5 Japan where a deck of cards appears from just a flat piece of cardbox that is shown on both sides as flat. You could use that same technique with a box of crayons. Takes 3 boxes and some glue and scissors. A very nice production.
wbzwolinski
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of wbzwolinski
Oh Frank that is beautiful....I hope you don't mind if I "steal it".

Wolly
Keep it Simple...Play it BIG!!!
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2227 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Do a switch with a real "ungimmicked" coloring book and let the one who says he knows how its done, do it in front of the kids.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
JAEIII
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of JAEIII
I appreciate everyone's messages. I know I can change my coloring book routine up to make it more original, however, if I did want to get rid of it completely can anyone recommend a good proven trick they use to open their childrens show with? Someone has recommended color changing silks, which sounds like a good way to go. The Abbot card routine sounds interesting. I'll have to research that. Any other suggestions?
Believe In Magic....I do!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8710 Posts

Profile of harris

I use the mosquito whistle(not really a traditional magic trick) to create a buzzing sound...

It goes into

a. story about fly
b. production of a cane to swat the fly
c. picking up of my ukulele to swat the fly..and then sing There ain't no bugs on me
d. choose a volunteer to use later in the show

2. For younger ones I simply roll a ball back and forth between me and the kids
Seems I got that one from a Sammy Smith lecture
then I
a. juggle
b. make it disappear
c. make it change to something else....

3. Squaring the circle ...for older group...
a. My face inside the circle..change it to a square...reach into the square and produce a coin...go into coin routine...
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
magicone
View Profile
Veteran user
Doylestown, PA
352 Posts

Profile of magicone
Quote:
On 2010-02-17 18:54, MagicB1S wrote:

I purchased this from Dazzling Magic as they are the authorized resellers in the USA for this prop that is sold by Practical Magic in the UK.

My reason was the same as stated above... I use the coloring book quite frequently but wanted something that the children wouldn't say they saw before or own. It is bulkier but I go to my local kinko's and create my own color images for little to nothing and the child gets to take the colored one home.

I'm also going to start customizing the photos and have the child magically write his/her name on the picture so the final display of the colored photo will contain the name of the assistant (the birthday child) What a great souvenir (and it will have my contact info at the bottom Smile )

I just created a pirate (B/W and Colored) for my Pirate show coming up. Very versatile prop.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13413 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-02-18 19:46, wbzwolinski wrote:
Oh Frank that is beautiful....I hope you don't mind if I "steal it".

Wolly

Yes, use it if you want to. I don't think most would attempt it because it takes practice and rehearsal before you can do it in front of an audience.

Even if you don't do all the bits you can come up with some other ones on your own that would work for you. Most of my tricks have some perverse elements to them.

Notice that it includes a host of interaction techniques and not just one like the standard book routine does.

Some questions a magician could ask themselves is "how can I layer the interactions/responses from the kids" as opposed to just throwing colors and clapping at the end. What about look-don't see? What about engineered disobedience? What about enough-already? What about magician-in-trouble?

What other magical effects can be acheived besides the standard surprise ending? Production? Vanish? Surprise appearance? Transformation?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Birthday Party Opener (replacing the coloring book??) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL