The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Could use some help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ginkyi
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of ginkyi
Hello I'm CJ, I juast started magic. I have already made a decent routine with hot rods, an appering cane, steel ball and tube, and a thumb light. I was wondering if anyone could ggive me advise on new magic tricks. Not to tell them but give me names of tricks and/or where to find them. I want to preform for my college at one point, hopefully. The reason I got recently into magic is because one of my proffessors is Doc. Jonhson. So if anyone knows any tricks that would help me fool him a little bit or help in my routine I would any and all advice and critics. Thanks
p.s. please excuse some spelling
wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
Hi
Start reading books-free from the library, or purchase them. Learn about performing ("Maximum Entertainment", "Showmanship for Magicians", "Magic and Showmanship). Better to learn early why magic
entertains people, than pursue trick after trick. You won't be sorry.
Best of luck
wk
Nothing is truer than the incomprehensible, because the sum total of our knowledge consists of the fact that we know nothing. Our reality is an illusion. Thus illusion is reality-Punx
ginkyi
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of ginkyi
Thanks
ginkyi
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of ginkyi
I'm ordering The Magician's handbook by Henry Hay is there any other good suggestions
TheMagicianGuide
View Profile
New user
Wheat Ridge Colorado
90 Posts

Profile of TheMagicianGuide
Sometimes its nice to have the book to refer back to as well - check out used books on Amazon (sometimes you can get great deals) or even Ebay . . .

You can also use tools like this to search all of Craigslist at once for Magic items . . . http://www.allofcraigs.com/

Its pretty nice to find anything Magic etc . . .
TheMagicianGuide.com - National Magician Directory.

The Magician Guide is part of Kids Party Resource network of childrens entertainers and event rentals.
wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
The books I suggested, even one of them, will put you "light years" ahead of a beginner who is looking to just fool his friends with tricks and puzzles.
Nothing is truer than the incomprehensible, because the sum total of our knowledge consists of the fact that we know nothing. Our reality is an illusion. Thus illusion is reality-Punx
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
The Magician's handbook by Henry Hay is a interesting read. Also, check on line for magic shops and see what is out there this may help you get a better feel on what direction you want to go in the future. Also, some of the best talent in the world is here in the magic Café. Many of them publish there own work. Let me tell you a lot of the work published by these guys is far better that what you can by in some of the shops. Also, the people who advertise on the Café offer some of the finest stuff in the world. do not forget to check out these first.

That last thing I will suggest when performing a trick is tell a story it will make the effect a lot stronger.
Frankie_D
View Profile
New user
Lakewood, Co
3 Posts

Profile of Frankie_D
If you are truly just starting out I would go to the library and check-out,Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. Or better yet just buy it! "not that expensive" And has some great effects for beginners... If Doc Johnson has been doing magic for quite some time...You'll really need to find an easy and probably newer effect that with the right amount of practice, you might be able to fool him. " all depends how long he's been into magic and if he's still in the magic loop"

"And whatever you do...don't believe anyone that tells you effects are self working...You have to get that out of your head right now!!

"If you want to own the effect you have to dedicate time,time,and more time to practice etc..."

The biggest problems with beginners, is that they want to by an effect,spend a whole hour on it! Then there off and running to show their family and friends...which in turn will not be exactly forthright with you. C'mon their family...there going to say they love it no matter what! Very rarely will they ever say they saw you flash. Take it to the real world and you might get sadly disappointed!! So please put in the time the effect deserves, and you deserve!

Sorry for getting a little crazy!! I just see this happen so much...

Every book mentioned by the other posters are all "Must Haves!!"
ginkyi
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of ginkyi
Thank guys. I gotta say. At first I did as Fankie D said but I just got knocked on my *** by my poor practicing. I've spent the last 5 hours practacing on one seemingly impossible trick and I got and enjoyed more than my earlier work. So thanks for your support. I'm going steady learning one trick at a time throughly and completely. I have but one question for now until I understand more. Is there a book about designing magic tricks for the stage.
NexusMagicShop
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny California
434 Posts

Profile of NexusMagicShop
I have to agree with Frankie_D best advice.

Mark Wilson painstakingly cataloged 100's of beginner and some advanced effects in the "Cyclopedia of magic". I don't think anyone will ever try to reproduce such a treasure. It is so complete that there really is no point. I think many will agree that it covers all the basics. Many well known magicians of today began there journey in magic, because of this book.

And for some enjoyment you may want to check out The Magic Circus series presented by Mark Wilson - Some real greats showcased: Dai Vernon, Carl Ballantine, Jay Marshall, Hosted by Bill Bixby - Finally released on DVD
Jason of BackroomMagic
www.BackroomMagic.com/| Mobile friendly magic forums and blogs
www.twitter.com/Nexusmagicstore
blackskirt
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of blackskirt
Always start the performance with a few simple tricks, build the magic mood up and also build up your own confidence by getting more 'wowwwww.. holy! that's impossible!!'. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Could use some help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL