We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » The Manchurian Approach Another Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Yup. I fought for two hours not to do a chicken to the brink of losing the gig. Still I gave them what they wanted and on the night the chicken got a huge laugh.

Now get out of here and blam up some posters.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Is that not the secret to success in any area of life? Give them what they want?
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
not a stupid user, a special user.
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
I have a friend who´s worried I´ll make him do the chicken. Smile
If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
GarethLeeMorgan
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of GarethLeeMorgan
OK, I didn't want to start a new topic as I think it fits in nicely here.

I have just got in from a party in a bar/restaurant, While I was there I was asked by a friend to hypnotise his friend which I did and then I had a stranger ask me so I went into HYPNOTIST mode, now this was the first time I had done this in a bar setting. Using most of the techniques shown on TMA and following some great advice from Bobser I went about hypnotising various people, next thing I knew I had a crowd of about 30 people watching me, when I dropped money on the floor and asked my hypnotee to try to move and get it as shown in TMA I got a roar of laughter from the crowd. As the night came to a close the bar manager came to me and said if I ever wanted to go back into the bar and go around entertaining his customers then I could. What a confidence booster. Thanks Anthony for TMA and thanks Bobser for your sound advice.

Oh, and for the first time in doing this, I had someone really resist me with finger magnets so I went in with hand to face and within seconds I had eye flutter and gave her the suggestion that every time her boyfriend clicked his fingers she would laugh out loud and feel great doing it, it worked a treat... so even if one suggestion fails, carry on with another... Smile
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Hi Gareth,

great stuff. Well done.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Updated for 2016

bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Well Done indeed Gareth.
It was great to meet up with you down Souf last week and hopefully we can do the same again when I'm down again doing a gig in October.
I believe you said you're going to Anthony's one-day event in London this coming weekend. I would love to have gone but have a prior engagement but it'll be a great event. Anyone sitting on the fence re this conference I'd advise them to jump off quicly and although I can't spell quicly that doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
ferrismagic
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of ferrismagic
I have tried out some of the stuff on the DVD, if anything else even if they don`t go into hypnosis,(I assure you with the teachniques thoughts you will at least get the effect of someone in the going into hpnosis) which really brings a dramatic feel to the magic you perform. My take is that weather or not you really go into the art of hypnosis, you have to buy this DVD for the knowledge as an overall performer.
Just my 2 cents
RandyM
View Profile
Special user
578 Posts

Profile of RandyM
What is TMA???
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

TMA = The Manchurian Approach
TTC = The Trilby Connection
RIP = Reality is Plastic
BFP = Bobser for President
Anthony Jacquin

Updated for 2016

Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Thanks for the feedback ferrismagic, much appreciated. Stay in touch with any questions.
Anthony Jacquin

Updated for 2016

JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
212 Posts

Profile of JonChase
Quote:
On 2010-08-18 02:05, Anthony Jacquin wrote:
Thanks for the kind words Ray.

I appreciate the stage hypnosis has suffered in the last 15 years in the UK. However it seems it has been responsible for it's own demise. Too many copycat shows, too many of them misjudging the line between outrageous and offensive.

Many professional magicians using hypnosis give it the attention it deserves in the same way they do their magic and largely resist the temptation to go low brow. It has only added to interest in this art imo.

Anthony

I see where you are coming from Ant and can agree to a point but, knowing exactly when you came into the entertainment and 'magic' side of things I do have to say you are missing something. It isn't only stage hypnosis that has suffered over the last couple of decades, apart from a very small handful of magicians, well basically Derren Brown, there isn't much happening in the "Theatre" world of live entertainment. However if you are working cruises and corporate, Universities and the forces, stage hypnosis still does very well by the way. Some people tell me it's as good as it ever was in those income streams. Of course there is a reason for this....

STAGE hypnosis is part of a much larger field called SHOW business. Now over the last 20 years we have seen massive swings in the way people get their entertainment. As anyone will tell you when you were still wearing short trousers, oh sorry - wrong generation , jeans with the knees out, there was a social revolution in the UK when the woman prime minister of the time decided that we were no longer to be the world's greatest manufacturing and engineering country but we were to become a nation of service suppliers and shop keepers like her old man.

This meant the demise of the working mens and social clubs. We lost the miners welfare clubs where I did my apprenticeship and learnt my trade and tricks.

What the club scene had given us was the place where a whole generation of people were raised 'going out' to see 'live' shows every Friday and Saturday night. And the clubs were not the seedy unfunded places they are now, they were huge palaces of entertainment and the social hub of whole towns. Yes there was cheap beer, breweries would drop their prices because of the Massive turn over of these places, and there was of course the Bingo, but don't think poor. I can remember my Mom taking us all on holiday on the back of her Bingo winnings from one weekend.

The clubs also paid very well indeed. Especially for hypnotists and other speciality acts. Magicians and full illusion acts were paid top dollar and worked every weekend without fail. And the clubs were always full. I've worked places like the Vauxhall club in Brum with 500 people in the audience. The Netherton in Coventry, the Lakeside, Jolleys in Stoke, the Barns in Birmingham and the Bloxwhich Memorial which had a better sound and lighting system than most theatres I've worked. And they drew the top names of that time as well, Tommy Cooper, Paul Daniels, at the very top of their games worked the 'Clubs'. You could be working a theatre one night and a club the next and earning almost as much from the club.

Quite a few of those places are still there by the way, but the punters are not. Where they would have 600 people in Lee Hall miners welfare every Saturday and Sunday, they now have 50. So that bedrock of teaching kids about watching a great show has gone to a box in the corner of the living room or the computer screen you are looking at now. It's society that has changed, and it's getting worse.

Last year Ken Dodd and Chubby Brown cancelled show, and I know what you'll say, yes they are old hat but they still draw my friend and are still household names. And even the TV faces can struggle, down here in the south west Jimmy Carr did 350 in a 1500 seat theatre and in fact only sold out in the big cities. Even small comedy clubs rely on booze sales and pay didly squat because they are rarely 'full house'.

I'll agree that there is a lot of copy cat stuff in stage hypnosis, but then don't you stick people to stuff and make them think people are undressed? The Facts are there is only so much you can do with peoples senses and psyche. And there again there are only so many way of presenting that. It's a bit like - for me anyway - most card tricks look the same because well basically they are the same. True there may be innovations in the back end way of doing things but to the observer the 'trick' is rarely different.

I also see your point about the OTT stuff, but then have to point out the Fact that Ken Webster who has been billing himself as outrageous for over 20 years is without doubt one of the biggest earners and most watched hypnotists this country has ever seen. Ian Dee who I taught 18 years ago now does his 'naughty' family show in Skegness every year, every week, at a holiday camp. Doc Chris Strange does a very atypical adult show, you can see it on his site, and does very well in the corporate scene.

I really don't think hypnosis suffers from a bad reputation, it's just no one is on the tele doing it except for momentary vignettes which lets face it are usually not all that different from what the rest of us have been doing for the last few decades. I'm hearing a lot about doing the 'New' stuff but frankly I'm not seeing anything new at all. And like magic there is a whole generation out there who are not being taught it is a great form of entertainment.

And finally, I personally pay a huge amount of attention to everything I do with and in hypnosis. I spend just as much time as any magician I have ever known, and way more than many others, on everything I do with and around hypnosis and don't think that the assumption that we are all just winging it is very accurate, or very fair. ;-)
Smiles

Jon Chase

http://jonathanchase.com
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I have to agree with jon. And I mean this sincrely not any personal vindictiveness --- Ant has been winging it for the last few years. I have watched him develop on here and in most cases he has only been a few steps ahead of those he teaches. He could still learn a lot from those that have been doing this stuff for decades.

There is nothing new for those of us that have been doing this stuff for years. Although I believe there are new applications and that "hypnosis" in general could used more widely.

I do agree with Jon about the market demise and shift in values. I still also think the bad reputation didn't help. Perhaps it will never come back and part of that including all the above is that hypnosis has been devalued and pimped to the point of no recovery. ( as I see it just my opinion wich could be wrong)
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

I agree Jon, of course things have changed from 20 years ago. This should encourage us too as well. Those doing the most complaining do not seem to have adapted. People still want to be entertained and many theaters still have busy and varied programmes. Live entertinment is still something many will pay a premium for. With you ringing in my ears from your course several years ago I watched Ken Dodd on TV this week. Funny man. I can see why he has appeal throughout the kingdom.

MP I have been hypnotising since 1995 and performing consistently for 7 years. I appreciate I am a grasshopper. As such I am at least in a position to learn and adapt what I do to the present market. If you had something worth saying or could express yourself with any clarity I would listen. You have had one gig in 7 years and do nothing but complain. Whinging about the past and what everyone else has done to ruin your industry is not going to change the state of things for you. You are right 'it' is not going to come back. Never. Stop looking back. You are wrong to think that hypnosis has no value to people. I find the public are absolutely fascinated by it, want to see it and are prepared to pay to do so. However they mostly do not want to play with blow up cocks or be asked to sit in a bath with a friend in matching swimming trunks. That is the reason you are not working. You are living in the past when Jim Davidson was Saturday night TV. Change or die. It's easy.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Updated for 2016

Zerububle
View Profile
Elite user
Poole
430 Posts

Profile of Zerububle
Anthony is dreadful. His amateurish ways are surely killing the business as are his sell out training courses in th UK, Paris, Berlin, Las Vegas etc etc

Zerububle
View Profile
Elite user
Poole
430 Posts

Profile of Zerububle
In 10 years time Ant will still be busy... That is the real acid test
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Any yes times have changed as has the market. The market you cater for is for those that want to be the life and sole of the party. It is mainly amatuer hypnotists who don't really know any better nor do they want to reach any high level of skill. You keep telling us how long and how much experience you have. But its clear to some of us that at least with demonstrating hypnotic phenomen performing hypnosis stage hypnosis whatever you want to call it you are a relative newbie. It shows through your posts and your clips.

Most of your clients don't want to reach a high level of hypnosis. The thing is you are blinded by the belief that what you are doing is something new or better. It isn't its watered down and going by what I have seen online you still have quite a way to go. No its the new "market" for wannabees that you cater for. The attention seekers that fuels you. They have found their hero.

You are learning as you go along its quite clear for anyone to see who knows much about hypnosis. It seems the same is happening in mentalism just now... Perhaps its just a generation thing.

Who rattled Bubbles cage?
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2011-03-01 10:41, Zerububle wrote:
In 10 years time Ant will still be busy... That is the real acid test

Most prostitutes can work way into their 60s so what is the point you are making?

But seriously if you are all happy then so am I...

As for being busy it depends on the market and what you are willing or able to do...

When are you getting your tattoo bubble?
Zerububle
View Profile
Elite user
Poole
430 Posts

Profile of Zerububle
My decision to take the side of the person with the better arguament (and the one not being a tw@t) doesn't mean I'm bumming them at the weekend. Thanks for a quality argument as always MP
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2444 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
MP wrote about Zeruble that:

"But its clear to some of us that at least with demonstrating hypnotic phenomen performing hypnosis stage hypnosis whatever you want to call it you are a relative newbie."

Well relative is a subjective term, but surely what one does in a short time that some don't do ever is the better of the two?

Having seen Zeruble live, all I can say is that he does what he is there to do, he ENTERTAINS! (That was ON STAGE as well as impromptu)

You see Zeruble has moved with the times, can perform anywhere, any time and does not let anything stop him. That is called versatile as opposed to limited! (And he is working with many gigs, which kind of backs up what I'm saying)

Is he my Hero? Well I don't really do Hero worshipping, but I know what type of act that I'm trying to be like and that would be his! (Not a direct copy of course)

Zeruble is the future of hypnosis as he provides what most customers want in a hypnosis now, today.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Shrubsole,

actually I think MP was referring to my first ever stage show clips. But either way you are right Zerobuble is a superb performer and wields hypnosis in a unique way - properly mesmerizing - and a seamless integration with his magic. My bubble tattoo is bigger than yours.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Updated for 2016

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » The Manchurian Approach Another Review (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL