The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Warning! (About a phone scam) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4566 Posts

Profile of Sixten
My wife's co-worker unfortunately heard a message on her phone voice mail and returned
the call. (She was on the phone for approx. 6 minutes and when she received her phone
bill it showed: $14,550.00-($2,425.00 per min.) It's being disputed. Hope she wins out!)
http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=6045
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
If you don't mind me asking what was the message that was left for her?
It obviously had to be compelling enough to get her to call back.

Anyhoo I hope it goes well for her Sixten.
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4566 Posts

Profile of Sixten
Thanks, agent61.

She told my wife that the message said: (Paraphrasing)
Hi, my name is (so & so) & I've been trying to reach your sister, via registered mail, blah, blah, blah, in reference to a bank account, that is in the name of your sister. (The person, on the other end of the phone, was also a woman, and this woman had the name of all of her, three, sisters. They really do their homework!)
It is imperative that you return my call at ____________. I am a officer at the bank of____________. This number is my private line.

During the phone conversation, the scammer said: (Again, paraphrasing)
This account has been dormant for over 5 years, and before the State takes possession of these funds, you need to transfer us money, in order to block the transfer to the State's general fund, then you, or your sister will be allowed to have these monies remitted/transferred into your own personal bank account.

My wife's co-worker called her sister and her sister told her, "YOU ARE NUTS!!!"
When her sister's husband came home and she told him what happened, (he's a N.Y.P.D. detective) he told her, "it has to be a scam, similar to the Nigerian scams." (Correcto mundo!)
Note: She, not being aware of the area code, thought that she was calling a bank, in another U.S. State, and ended up calling Santo Domingo, D.R..
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
I don't believe that cost per minute. And from the link you referenced:

Quote:
However, the message contains some misinformation, especially the highly exaggerated cost of a phone call to the 809 area code, which is a legitimate area code for the Dominican Republic.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5172 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
It's hard to believe that in todays day and age that people fall such stuff whether an email or phone call. How many of us have even a remote chance of having a relative pass away in a foreign country and inheriting great sums of money? Or how many of us accept the message that we've won a highly unpublicized lottery and the money is just waiting for us to claim if we supply some personal information.

I received an email today supposedly from my email server saying that unless I forwarded my email address, password, home address and phone number, my email account would be deactivated.

I'm sure your wife's coworker will win the dispute but it may take some time.
Where the magic begins
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4566 Posts

Profile of Sixten
Quote:
On 2010-02-23 20:25, Davit Sicseek wrote:
I don't believe that cost per minute. And from the link you referenced:

Quote:
However, the message contains some misinformation, especially the highly exaggerated cost of a phone call to the 809 area code, which is a legitimate area code for the Dominican Republic.

Hi Davit:

My wife's co-worker said that, she was told, (by her carrier) after dialing the number, it was then routed through a call-switching system, into a private pay-per- call entity.
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Ahhh thanks for clearing that up Sixten.
Creepy to think that these folks are snooping around trying to find personal info that might make their scam seem more legit.
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
I understand how the scam works.

Thing is, private pay-per-call entities as you describe them still operate under the platform provided by telecom companies. These telecom companies set upper limits on the costs that they can impose on a call - otherwise the system would be rife for abuse.

I believe in the UK that any call costing more than £1.50 per minute requires explicit permission form the telecoms regulator. I'm sure that other contires have similar systems, even the Domincan Republic. This is all compounded by the fact that such a service, when being used internationally requires billing co-operation between telecom companies. So even if the Domincan Republic allowed premium rate phonenumbers to charge over $2000 per minute, the US company would still have to be a party to such a charge.

In short, I think someone, somewhere is mistaken and has probably repeated the "highly exaggerated cost of a phone call" from a scare email.
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4566 Posts

Profile of Sixten
Being in the int'l. cargo shipping business, you should've see the stack of Nigerian scam letters that I've received through the past couple of years.
Even my neighbor saw a African male get out of his Mercedes, dressed in African garb, and place one of those letters, enclosed in a air-mail envelope, into my mailbox.
Scammers, especially in Lagos, Nigeria, sit in a internet Café all day, and type out thousands of these e-mails. (They use to air-mail them, or send via ocean freight. Customs & Border Protection, Postal inspectors are doing their best to seize them, before they get any further. E-mails/phone calls are much easier, and
cost almost nothing.)
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
What's your point?

I don't see how it relates to the exaggerated call cost that I was highlighting?

One doesn't need to be in the shipping business to be aware of the 419 scams. I'd be surprised to meed somoene who hadn't heard of them. They have after all, been in the headlines for over 10 years.

Emails and phone calls are much easier. Hence why most 'Lagos style' scams start with an email and move on the telephone calls.

The type of scam you are highlighting however has little in common with the 419 scams other than the fact that they both involve a telephone.

While I commend you for trying to warm people here of a scam, it's only proper that it should be done accuratly. There is a big difference in the threat from a telephone call that is going to cost upwards of $2000 per minute and one that just costs several $ per minute.
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4566 Posts

Profile of Sixten
Davit:

When I typed up my above message, I didn't know you already threaded yours. I was really adding on to agent61's reply.
Back to the high-priced phone bill, whatever the charge is, on my wife's friend's bill, I hope it does get removed. She's a very nice person and can't afford it.
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
What, no one has called on Snopes yet in this thread?

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/809.asp
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Oh, darn you Davit, AND your fast typing. Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Quote:
It's hard to believe that in todays day and age that people fall such stuff whether an email or phone call. How many of us have even a remote chance of having a relative pass away in a foreign country and inheriting great sums of money? Or how many of us accept the message that we've won a highly unpublicized lottery and the money is just waiting for us to claim if we supply some personal information.

How many people today fall for Monte or the shell game or the person selling items at low rates on the streets, only for the victim to find a brick in the box when they get home?

It seems that no matter how old the scam, you can still find willing victims.

I, myself, recently got a postcard in the mail saying that they had tried to deliver a package to me and, of course, I was not home to take delivery. Naturally, I called because I WAS expecting a package from a relative. The number was to a company offering a "free" vacation. The minute I said I was not interested, they hung up on me. I wonder just how many others called them and took the bait.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Big Jeff
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
These scammers are to greedy, they should only be adding 20-30 dollars a call. Then a lot of people would just pay it. Noone is going to just pay an outragous bill like that.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2010-02-27 01:36, Big Jeff wrote:
These scammers are to greedy, they should only be adding 20-30 dollars a call. Then a lot of people would just pay it. Noone is going to just pay an outragous bill like that.

Jeff read the scopes report on this you will see the claim of the charge has been highly inflated. The scam when used only charges the amount you said. Sometimes up to $100.00 is charged to the caller but not thousands. If the sexten's wife's co worker did indeed get charged that much she called the number more times than she should have. Or stayed on the line for a very very long time.
http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/809.asp
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Warning! (About a phone scam) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL