The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Canada vs. US (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
As the Olympics are being held in my home town it's been an unbelievable experience meeting people from all over the world. Yes, there exist competitiveness amongst us when our athletes are going against yours. If ours aren't in the competition then we cheer for yours. We also cheer loudly for other nations as well. We really are a friendly bunch.

My face still hurts from smiling after visiting Olympic events this afternoon.

Tom Brokaw says it so well in this newscast in which he explains Canada to the US. Promise me you'll watch it to the end and remember after we whoop ya in the hockey games..we'll still be friends in the end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYoTJItSPt0

Chrystal
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I saw that video the other day, and thought it was quite informative.

I saw another one, in which Canadian CTV network news anchor Brian Williams meets American NBC network news anchor Brian Williams. It's available here, at least for some (it might be region blocked for some others):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TwtRIffeVU
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
The brokaw piece literally brought a tear to my eye...

Proud to be Canadian!
xxx
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Cool thanks.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I like Canadians. I often pretend to be one when traveling to other countries in Europe. It saves a lot of hassle sometimes. They just say, "that's nice" instead of launching into a rant against X or Y or especially even Z. In fact, no one has ever complained about a single thing whatsoever upon hearing I'm a Canadian.

Of course, neither do they say something like, "I've always wanted to see the Grand Canyon!"

But I do recommend they go to Banf. I've never been there but I've heard it's wonderful.
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Congratulations to your Womens team Chrystal!
You know why don't act naive.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-02-25 11:54, stoneunhinged wrote:

But I do recommend they go to Banf. I've never been there but I've heard it's wonderful.

Its "Banff", though you probably just made a small typo. Anyway, it IS nice although the town itself is a little bit touristy in recent years. But the Banff National Park and the surrounding area is fabulous. Except, you know, there are bears in the area so be careful should you ever visit. Smile

The Canada-U.S. hockey today was great. But I found last night's women's Bobsled to be even more exhilarating (which ended Canada Gold and Silver, U.S. Bronze). Especially when that one bobsled tipped over on the way down, and the one woman bailed from the sled. Apparently you can get a bad case of ice burn, when you slide down so much of the course on your back and side like she did.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-02-25 03:59, Chrystal wrote:
As the Olympics are being held in my home town it's been an unbelievable experience meeting people from all over the world. Yes, there exist competitiveness amongst us when our athletes are going against yours. If ours aren't in the competition then we cheer for yours. We also cheer loudly for other nations as well.

Like Switzerland, for instance.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
Not big on sports stuff, but I always enjoy my trips to the U.S. Best wishes to all athletes competing for whatever they are competing for.
Coming soon the Oscars, the Superbowl of movie fans.
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
Canadians : good sports with a sense of humour....

http://imgur.com/HX8On.jpg
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Congratulations to your Mens team Chrystal!
You know why don't act naive.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
I can't pull up he vid on my phone, but if it was about the city of gander, it was an incredible story.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Thanks for the congrats! Both teams played their hearts out and the talk of the town this morning was how it could have gone either way. Congrats to the US team as well - it was a fantastic game.

My most memorable moment of the games was the amazing Slovenian Cross Country skier who was able to win the bronze medal - the first for her country. She had fallen earlier and had suffered 4 broken ribs and a punctured lung. Petra Majdic and Joannie Rochette whose mom passed after her arrival in Vancouver were to me what the Olympics are all about. I love sappy stories about rising to challenges. These two were both co-recipients of the Terry Fox award given those who overcome adversity and show courage.

The games were fun and I'm glad that the closing ceremonies showed us poking fun at ourselves. It was also nice to see many Canadians finally singing their national anthem loudly for the first time in history. Our Prime Minister had to go on television to tell us it's okay to show national pride and it won't be considered rude. I think we've always been jealous of Americans who show their national pride and love for their country, same for other countries as well. It's why the news is all abuzz as previously we stood and removed our hats but except for when we're in elementary school we never sing the song). That changed over the course of a few days and it swept the country.
Although I didn't visit the other countries "houses" as lineups were as long as 5 hrs I heard all were special and everyone attending had a fantastic time. The Heinekein house supposedly was crazy fun as well as the Russian Sochi house which left everyone feeling they made lifelong friends.

I love watching YouTube vids of Flash mobs held all over the world and was thrilled when one was done on one of our city streets. Check out Vancouver Flash mob on Youtube.

Lastly, I think the comaraderie and friendships that develop between athletes is very much like magicians who meet at different competitions all over the world. In the end it doesn't matter who wins it's the friends you make along the way.

Joker I searched for the vid you spoke of and would appreciate if you post the link soon. Thx

Chrystal
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
[quote]On 2010-02-25 23:55, balducci wrote:
Quote:
Its "Banff", though you probably just made a small typo.

No, I didn't make a typo. I didn't know about the second "f".

And THAT, my friends, is indicative of the nature of Canada: a beautiful, wonderful, friendly place that assumes the best of people.

May Canada live forever.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Canada vs. US (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL