The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » One to avoid: Criss Angel Believe with Cirque du Soleil (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RileyG
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
840 Posts

Profile of RileyG
http://www.vegashotspots.com/hot_trips/v......s_vegas/

One to avoid: Criss Angel Believe with Cirque du Soleil @ The Luxor
3900 Las Vegas Boulevard South

Cirque du Soleil’s name is attached to a handful of the best production shows in Vegas, and one stinker. It has almost become cliché to trash Cirque’s collaboration with the creepy illusionist Criss Angel. So we had to see for ourselves: Is the show really that bad? In a word, yes. "Believe" is all flat-ironed hair and bad timing, with a handful of boring disappearances thrown in. The show does boast a state-of-the-art sound system and a few memorable scenes driven by Cirque's talented freaks, but in the end it’s a magic show with very few tricks and zero magic.
Signed,
Riley G Matthews Jr
SAG-AFTRA actor
Www.RileyG.com
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Since the very first episode of mindfreak I've maintained that criss angel is bad for magic. First, as a magician he is not quite mediocre, but that's okay, many aren't. What's important is that he exploited the trust that Mark Wilson spent a lifetime gaining from the home viewership. He exploited it abused it, and has now all but destroyed it. When I first spoke out about this on the Café a couple years ago, I was personally attacked by certain members. I was called names and threatened with legal action for daring to suggest that Angel used camera edits.
Awhile later, Mark Wilson himself spoke out by publishing an article in a prominent magazine basically mirroring my thoughts about the ramifications of abusing viewer trust.
Later still, I predicted here on the Café that Angels vegas show would get less than rave reviews- seems I'm right again.
Fortunately, the personal attacks on me have subsided. Unfortunately, they had to learn for themselves how harmful this guy is to magic. They certainly didn't take my word for it- that's okay.
For those of you reading this who once attacked me; I forgive you I would only suggest in future not to be so quick to blindly defend someone who is doing possibly irreparable harm to your craft.

Sincerely, Rodney
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Magic will survive Criss Angel, much like he will survive the little dogs nipping at his heels constantly.

All I am thinking is that he must have ONE HECK of a contract writer!

I can't imagine how constantly posting this nonsense holds your attention for so long. It is comical to watch.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Magic, yes, but T.V. magic? That's a little trickier. Once the general public no longer believes, it takes a long time and a lot of work to get them back. This is certainly an issue that should hold our attention.

Sincerely, Rodney
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why? Do you think Blaine was any better for TV magic than Angel?

Besides were you planning on a TV special soon or some such thing? Why should this hold our attention? If Criss makes a joke of himself, then so what? How does that hurt you?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Its not about me, Danny, I think it hurts magic- especially magic on television- that's all. Its just my opinion. When the next tv magician comes along he's gonna have to work extra hard to regain the trust of the home viewer. That's all I'm saying. Maybe I was just raised to always consider the other guy.

Rodney
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Doesn't seem to have hurt Derren Brown.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Who?
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
Derren Brown is UK's biggest magic tv star, also syndicated in several other countries. Cyril, Asia's big TV star also seems unaffeccted. As do the enduring duo Penn and Teller.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Is Criss Angel big in the UK? Of course I know who Derren Brown is. However, I wonder if Angel is a big enough presence in the UK to have affected things negatively for him. As for Penn and Teller, they are an excellent act and they don't really attempt many grand scale illusions that rely on the audience's belief that what they are seeing at home is exactly what they would be seeing if they were part of the live studio audience. I'm pretty sure Penn Jillette doesn't float between skyscrapers.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
When will people learn that magic is bigger than one person? The medium will survive Criss.

What hurts more than some guy on some basic cable program are the legions of "magicians" out there doing horrible magic that is so bad it amounts to nothing more than exposure.

I think people find it easier to blame others for misfortune or the perceived state of magic, than to actually do something constructive about it themselvs.

If it is SO bothersome to you, if you can do it SO much better, well then why not just go do it? You seem to be in posession of ALL the answers. Should not be that tough should it?

No it is far easier to tear another down, than to build one self up.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Not sure what or who you're referring to, Danny. First off I'd like to say that many members here are in agreement that as soon as Angels name is mentioned in a thread, you show up soon after- invariably- so please stop with the implication that any of us are "dragging on the issue" or whatever it is you're constantly and feebly trying to convey. Secondly, nobody ever said I could do better than one hundred million dollars. I'm just a magician who performs magic. You said yourself he's got a great contract writer. I've never claimed to be able to "do better " than Criss Angel. Thirdly, contrary to your belief, I have nothing against Criss personally- I simply take issue with his approach to performance.

Lastly, I've never torn anyone down. I simply agree with Mark Wilson that Criss Angel has harmed magic. You do not have to agree with me.

Rod
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
And for God's sake please stop with the magic will survive bit. Magic has been around for thousands of years and will be for thousands more. I don't think any magician would dispute that. Of course magic will survive. What's that got to do with anything? Angel has not and will not do anything positive for magic as a whole now or ever. I know it and you know it now leave it alone. You're arguing just for the sake of it. I'm not sure if its more comical or just plain annoying.

Fish
ballisticmonkey3
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of ballisticmonkey3
I don't really wish to provoke an argument, but just how is Criss Angel harming magic? I'm sincerely curious to hear opinions as I've never before entertained that idea. I agree that "Believe" is a bad show, but I've always thought that Criss was OK.
MHamel
View Profile
New user
New Hampshire
71 Posts

Profile of MHamel
Quote:
On 2010-03-17 22:15, ballisticmonkey3 wrote:
I don't really wish to provoke an argument, but just how is Criss Angel harming magic? I'm sincerely curious to hear opinions as I've never before entertained that idea. I agree that "Believe" is a bad show, but I've always thought that Criss was OK.

Hey, I am responding to just you as I think this topic is out of control.

In my eyes I never had a problem with criss until I grew in magic and started learning the psychology and mindset behind it. On the surface hes just doing street magic. However, once you start learning and put years in to mastering methods and routines you quickly realize how much he uses cameras to his advantage. Once you have a knowlege of the effects of today and methods you can easily pick out when he has actors and sets everything up.

I cant speak for anyone but myself but I do know some of the other big names have had issues with him in the past but ironically enough NON of the issues have to do with his TV Show.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2010-03-15 02:24, magicfish wrote:
Not sure what or who you're referring to, Danny. First off I'd like to say that many members here are in agreement that as soon as Angels name is mentioned in a thread, you show up soon after- invariably- so please stop with the implication that any of us are "dragging on the issue" or whatever it is you're constantly and feebly trying to convey. Secondly, nobody ever said I could do better than one hundred million dollars. I'm just a magician who performs magic. You said yourself he's got a great contract writer. I've never claimed to be able to "do better " than Criss Angel. Thirdly, contrary to your belief, I have nothing against Criss personally- I simply take issue with his approach to performance.

Lastly, I've never torn anyone down. I simply agree with Mark Wilson that Criss Angel has harmed magic. You do not have to agree with me.

Rod

Yea why don't you tell me where I can and can not post? Get over yourself. You guys just want to be negative. If magic is suffering it is suffering far more from hacks doing magic SO BADLY that the method is transparant. I don't particularly give a rats hind parts what "many members" (all of whom have nothing better to do than tear down others) think. If the posts are somehow against rules, I am certain they will be dealt with. Till you are elected moderator, I post what I want when I want.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Nobody said you couldn't. And I agree that hacks doing poor magic hurts the art a great deal. Why? Because when layman see bad magic and then a good magician comes along, they lump them both into the same category. Same with camera tricks and stooges. When the next tv star comes along, the home viewers will lump them into the same category. Thank you for supporting my argument, Mr. Doyle.

Rod
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I suggest you do a search. I SAID THAT FROM THE START OF MINDFREAK.

As a matter of fact some of the biggest detrectors of Criss right now, ARGUED WITH ME! Now suddenly they all have a problem with him. Wanna guess why? Oh it may have to do with their little hero getting punked on Phenemenot.

Seriously go back and search from posts from years ago and look at me being critical of him doing "TV" magic he can't do live. It is not "your arguement". LOL. Again, get over yourself.

Now YOU get lumped in with the negative nellies who have nothing better to do than scour the internet looking for something to bash him with. Now YOU get lumped in with all the jealous little boys who want to have him fail and have no arguement at all. I never said you didn't have a point about camera tricks, heck I said the same of David Blaine.

I suggest research before condemnation next time.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
My you are a strange one. I hope you are nicer to your audiences then you are to other magicians. Jealous little boys? What on earth are you rambling about? Anyway sticking with the topic, yes I do recall that you felt this way at one point, for some reason you feel the need to be hostile. I've never once heard you say anything nice to another member. Now I'd like to say in my defense that just because I don't agree with magicians using camera tricks, in no way makes me jealous. I'm not a stage magician.
If I was to be jealous of anything in magic in would be the close up talent of Dai Vernon or Slydini. I do care deeply, however, for the art as a whole- which is why I stand behind the view that camera trickery is harmful. Now if you share that opinion, fine, I choose to take the high road and will not return your insults. Good day sir.

Rodney
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ummm, no I did not feel that way "at one point" I feel that way NOW! But that does not mean a constant barrage of nonsense and complaints and the EXACT same thing being hurled is in any way classy now is it?

You talk about how I throw insults, but Criss is not even here to defend himself, yet you and others constantly hurl crap at his name his show and his actions. Now go ahead and explain to me how this is the "high road" please? I await your answer with great anticipation. (Incidently these are the very actiosn which make you and others appear 'jealous'.)
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » One to avoid: Criss Angel Believe with Cirque du Soleil (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL