The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Quakes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
6.9 in Japan & 8.3 in Chile.
Is that an example of every action gets an opposite reaction?
You know why don't act naive.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
No
"For every action there is an equal, and opposit reaction". 6.9 does not equal 8.3, those Chilians got a bad deal.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
The preliminary reports are very troubling; let's hope and pray for the best for all affected.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Yes John 8.8 is one of the top ten earth quakes in recorded history.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
A tsunami warning has been issued for basically the entire Pacific; a 40 meter tsunami already hit Juan Fernandez island. That's higher than a ten story building.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-02-27 09:03, Al Angello wrote:
CNN says that the quake in Chili was 8.8, and I'm sure FOX claims that it was 9.5.

I imagine it'd be the other way 'round. It'd really be a 9.15, Fox would understate it, and CNN would overstate it. You have to ac-centuate the negative to increase the need for government salvation.

Hopefully it's not con-carnage.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-02-27 09:58, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Are you guys capable of talking about other countries? Or will you explode from the pressure of not talking about America?

The preliminary reports are very troubling; let's hope and pray for the best for all affected.

John

If y'all foreigners would talk more about your own countries and less about ours, we could have fewer Ameri-centric threads. I think the people in other countries would at more of a loss not to talk about the USA than we would. Maybe we could start a thread for people from other countries to discuss what the USA should have done differently to prevent earthquakes in Chile and Japan.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
925 Posts

Profile of Barry Gitelson
Sometimes the knee bone is connected to the leg bone. Earthquake = Tsunami. Our sirens went off this morning and we are under a warning.
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Talking about an earthquake, and you two cant wait to get your jabs in? Grow up
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16247 Posts

Profile of tommy
In 2008 a team of scientists warned that a large earthquake could hit Haiti. I wonder if they also warned about these ones. It seems they have a rough idea when these things are expected to happen.

http://www.calacademy.org/science/sia/20......n-haiti/
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2010-02-27 12:15, Barry Gitelson wrote:
Sometimes the knee bone is connected to the leg bone. Earthquake = Tsunami. Our sirens went off this morning and we are under a warning.

Stay safe, Barry! My sister lives in Hawaii, and I've already told her the same thing.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
ESN, has that been confirmed? The report I read had words like "allegedly" and "reportedly" in it...

40 meters is a huge tsunami. I mean really big. Tsunamis don't tend to get bigger than say 50 feet at most if they were started by an Earthquake as this one would have been. There are larger waves possible, but not with that source. Lets be sure...

Then lets pray as hard as we can for all those people, who if the wave was 1 quarter the size you reported are still in very serious trouble.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-02-27 12:18, kcg5 wrote:

Which two are you talking about?

Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
925 Posts

Profile of Barry Gitelson
Thank you Scott. I live at 1500' so we are ok but folks at sea level are concerned. I have a gig today and hope they have the good sense to cancel it out of respect for the situation.
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
According to CNN a "large wave" hit Juan Fernandez Island, and a 7.7 foot wave hit somewhere near Santiago. 7.7 feet is no where near the previous report, but again don't sell it short. that wave can do lots of damage and take many lives. The height of a tsunami is only a very small part of the problem. The real issue is how fast it comes in and how it keeps on coming in. Water is VERY heavy and at speed can do much more damage than most people realize.

I am not looking to insult anyone here, but the original report of the height of the wave just didn't work for me. 8 feet is far more believable and plenty dangerous.

Is California in danger? I am thinking we are not. This is based only on the continental angle. Because South America is located east of most of the U.S., I think the wave is going to mostly miss us. NOTE: this is an opinion and I might be wrong. A tsunami wave is a deep as the ocean is, and can be affected by underwater topography. Hawaii is on Tsunami alert and parts of Mexico should be too.

Class Dismissed
Lets keep praying.
Magic is like Science,
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
How far do these things travel?

kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Quote:
On 2010-02-27 12:50, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-02-27 12:18, kcg5 wrote:

Which two are you talking about?

I wont name call, the children know they were bad. You werent one of them Lobo
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Quote:
On 2010-02-27 13:09, LobowolfXXX wrote:
How far do these things travel?

Sorry I left that part out. They travel until they run out of energy (This takes a long distance!) or until the hit something big enough to stop them (a continent). I dare say that Alaska which is directly in the path may get a smaller wave or none at all. Look how far Hawaii is from the epicenter of the quake and realize that they are very concerned about it.

My earlier post may be off a bit, an advisory (low level warning) has been issued for California.
Magic is like Science,
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2010-02-27 09:58, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Are you guys capable of talking about other countries? Or will you explode from the pressure of not talking about America?

America, h**l; you mean talking about POLITICS.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2010-02-27 13:03, Cliffg37 wrote:
Is California in danger? I am thinking we are not. This is based only on the continental angle. Because South America is located east of most of the U.S., I think the wave is going to mostly miss us. NOTE: this is an opinion and I might be wrong. A tsunami wave is a deep as the ocean is, and can be affected by underwater topography. Hawaii is on Tsunami alert and parts of Mexico should be too.

I do think California, Washington and Oregon are under "Tsunami Advisory" right now. That simply means nothing is currently expected, but they're watching conditions and will upgrade the situation if it becomes necessary.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Quakes (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL