The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Women's curling gold medal match (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Does anyone who knows a fair amount about this game have an opinion on the decision to peel rather than guard with the 7th stone in the 10th end? Great match, but I was disappointed that Canada didn't hold on.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
I watched the game in a pub with some friends and it was a good one, but I don't really understand the strategy. Not even sure about the lingo.

If I remember correctly, at one point someone around the table asked why Canada took out (peeled?) one of their own guard stones. Is this what you are asking about?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
The Canadian TV commentators were critical of the call.

Since Sweden had the hammer, the idea was to clear the house as much as possible, reducing the likelihood of Sweden lying two. As it turned out, Bernard's final stone didn't curl far enough and she left Norberg a fairly easy shot for two. Fewer stones=fewer Swedish possibilities--in theory.

Skip Cheryl Bernard came out of nowhere to even get to the Olympics. Her rink was one of those very good, but never winning the big prize rinks. When she won the Canadian championship to gain the Olympic berth, very few people had heard of her. She went through the round robin making clutch shots at the end of pretty much every game. Pity that she finally cracked under the pressure of the gold medal game. OTOH, Swedish skip Anette Norberg made great calls and clutch shots in the 10th and 11th ends--full credit to her.

Now I'll be trivial. This 43-year-old Alberta girl is my idea of a great-looking Olympic athlete:

The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-02-27 13:20, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
The Canadian TV commentators were critical of the call.

Since Sweden had the hammer, the idea was to clear the house as much as possible, reducing the likelihood of Sweden lying two. As it turned out, Bernard's final stone didn't curl far enough and she left Norberg a fairly easy shot for two. Fewer stones=fewer Swedish possibilities--in theory.

Skip Cheryl Bernard came out of nowhere to even get to the Olympics. Her rink was one of those very good, but never winning the big prize rinks. When she won the Canadian championship to gain the Olympic berth, very few people had heard of her. She went through the round robin making clutch shots at the end of pretty much every game. Pity that she finally cracked under the pressure of the gold medal game. OTOH, Swedish skip Anette Norberg made great calls and clutch shots in the 10th and 11th ends--full credit to her.

Now I'll be trivial. This 43-year-old Alberta girl is my idea of a great-looking Olympic athlete:

Absolutely agree with your final point!

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-02-27 12:13, balducci wrote:
I watched the game in a pub with some friends and it was a good one, but I don't really understand the strategy. Not even sure about the lingo.

If I remember correctly, at one point someone around the table asked why Canada took out (peeled?) one of their own guard stones. Is this what you are asking about?

Canada had the shot stone (the one that would score, i.e. the closest to the center), and Sweden had one frozen (adjacent) to it. Sweden kept putting out guard stones, waiting to make their move. On their next-to-last stone, they again put out a guard, and Canada had the option of ALSO putting out a guard, and forcing Sweden to get through all the traffic to try to hit the stones in the middle (because theirs wasn't closest), or clearing out the guard stones to leave it open for a return shot after Sweden's scoring attempt on the last shot.

A friend thought Canada made the wrong choice peeling the guard to leave it open, but he and I aren't experienced curling fans (though I'm fast becoming an addict). They didn't have much of a discussion about the play. Bernard's teammate agreed that the peel was the correct play, and they didn't consult with the coach, and he didn't promote the guard shot, either. Because they didn't seem to spend that much time on it, I figured my friend's assessment was incorrect, and he just couldn't see the correct rationale for the shot they chose. I think because the rocks were frozen, any hit by Sweden was going to bounce Canada's rock and put Sweden closer, and since Canada would have to hit a return shot with the last throw anyway, they wanted it as clear as possible.

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
If I recall correctly, Sweden would have had the possibility of raising: if they hit the frozen stones the Canadian stone could get pushed out of the house, while Sweden would still lie two. But I'm just a hack.(curling joke)

All the media coverage I've found only deals with the final shots. I'll ask around.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
Quote:
On 2010-02-27 13:20, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

I will jump on the trivial bandwagon. I think she is absolutely stunning! Beautiful, strong, intense and passionate. I felt so bad for her, and all of Canada. She had been stellar throughout the games.
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Women's curling gold medal match (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL