The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Walk-around Mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Sword of the Soldier
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of Sword of the Soldier
Hey Guys,

Alright so I'll come straight out and say that I am by no means a Mentalist. The only mentalism-esque thing I've ever done was a card peak. To be honest I never really liked it nor have I ever find a Mentalist trick or demonstration that really impressed me....don't shoot I'm not finished yet.

Recently however I saw a Magician through my University whose act was nearly all Mentalism. The reactions from the college audience were incredible. It was the first time I had ever seen the full potential of a Mentalist Act.

That having been said I'm not a stage guy so I'm looking for Mentalism that's suitable for close up, walk around settings. I picked up a copy of Corindas book and have been focusing on the billet, center tear work...but I'm curious to know if you hard core mentalists have any thoughts on some really solid walk around bits that I should look into that are relatively sure fire.

Any help is appreciated!

Josh
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
My favorite are Quantum Bender for a coin bend and PK Touch. People keep the quarter and PK touch is brilliant because it FORCES conversation amongst everyone when you leave.

So they have a bent quarter to remember me by, and they talk about the pk touch experience when I leave.

There are plenty more but those are my favorites.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3992 Posts

Profile of parmenion
My favorite stuff is the search button.
You'll discover lot of answer to this classic question.
Search button is also a classic.
Anyway I'm sure lot of people will be very glad to answer to you with their favorite trick Smile
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5134 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Quote:
On 2010-02-28 04:11, parmenion wrote:
My favorite stuff is the search button.

Jaja!

Excellent demostration on walk around mentalism
You can use B-wave, card mentalism, billet work , PK with cutlery and coins, ufff.. a lot Smile
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Matthew Townsend
Its no good for me to suggest effects yet unless I know what sort of mentalist you will be portraying.

Are you psychic? Do you channel the spirits of passed loved ones? Do you use NLP and Body Languge Reading? Are you just a lucky guesser???

Once you know who you are then it is a lot easier to decide on what effects you should perform.

I am still constantly thinking about my "character" and to be honest I'm still not 100% satisfied. Everday effects come and go from my act to suit my persona.

Buying Corinda is a great step. some of the effects you learn in there could suit any mentalist. The centre tear and other billet work are essential since various presentations can be put around them. However, if you claim to be using NLP and Body Language, is it feasable that you can also bend spoons and forks with your mind??? Im not so sure.

Find out your performance style and then the effects will come rolling in!

M
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5134 Posts

Profile of Amirá
With NLP I can bend spoons.... really

With eyes cues and anchoring.... really ;D
Pablo
Performer and Author

www.mentalismcenter.com

www.arkanosophy.com
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Matthew Townsend
How can you justify it though? You can't claim that you are using the powers of your mind since you use NLP, also if you were using NLP to cause the spectators to only think it was bending then you would be left with a bent spoon at the end of the routine, which wouldn't make sense.

How do you justify how you accomplish it?

M
monkeypuzzletree
View Profile
Regular user
essex
119 Posts

Profile of monkeypuzzletree
Just straighten the spoon at the end and leave it with them. I've done it this way before. Either it was a great demonstration of something a psychic might do or they wonder whether it actually happened at all.
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2413 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
Books, will get you on your way much faster than an individual trick, Theodore Annemann , Corinda's 13 steps to mentalism, is possibly the best place to start, and I am sure many will chime in with other great titles. Bruce Bernstein , Banachek.
Paul Carnazzo
View Profile
Inner circle
1135 Posts

Profile of Paul Carnazzo
Be sure to check out these pocket/wallet mentalism effects:

TEST CONDITIONS

Perfect for anytime, walk around and close up mentalism! This is a complete routine that fits neatly in your wallet! Be ready to perform a complete routine with just one card!

The card is about the same width as a credit card, but a little taller, so it fits perfectly in a standard credit card slot in any wallet. On it are several tests that are used to test both the spectator’s and performers ‘telepathic ability’.

First, the spectator is asked to merely think of one of the E.S.P. symbols on the front of the card, and the performer correctly names it!

Next, the spectator’s abilities are put to the test. The performer tries to transmit 12 different items to the spectator, and amazingly the spectator gets most, if not ALL, of the items correct!

Then, a spectator thinks of a number and finds a country from a list according to the secretly chosen number. The performer correctly divines what country the spectator is thinking of!

Finally, the spectator thinks of any word from a list of 12 words (free choice), then uses word association to come up with a new word, and miraculously, without any questions and nothing written down the performer tells the spectator what the word is!

There are also 3 additional BONUS effects included in the instructions using the card.

SYMBOLISM

The same size card as "Test Conditions" with 2 great effects:

The first effect is this:

A spectator is handed a set of folded instructions, and asked not to read them yet. He is told to try to pick up on what the instructions are telepathically. He is then asked to name one of the symbols shown on the card. Lets say he names the cylinder. The instructions are opened by the spectator and read out loud…they say “PLEASE CHOOSE THE CYLINDER”. The spectator was able to pick up on the instructions telepathically!!

Next, three spectators are each asked to think of a symbol on a grid of 16 symbols. The performer immediately begins to reveal some information on each spectators chosen symbols...then reveals all three symbols correctly! (at no time are the spectators asked any questions)

There are two BONUS effects included on the card as well.

Check them out here:

http://www.mentalvoyage.com/
remember....always use your powers for good!

http://www.mentalvoyage.com
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4474 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Mark Striving's published a book awhile back entitled appropriately enough, "Walk-Around Mentalism."
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
When I do walk around I always make sure I perform effects that have random outcomes and try to stay away from forces and what not. This way when a table you have already performed for is watching you at another table or you have a repeat customer your credibility as a mentalist sticks with you and the effects don't just turn into tricks from the spectators point of view. This is just my two cents anyways and with a little presentation I'm sure you can make anything work. I like doing routines with billets, my NW and picture duplications to name a few.

Daren
Twitter @darjames
The Paranormalist
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
690 Posts

Profile of The Paranormalist
Matthew Suggests

"Buying Corinda is a great step."

Some people would say it has Thirteen great Steps.

Franklin
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Quote:
When I do walk around I always make sure I perform effects that have random outcomes and try to stay away from forces and what not. This way when a table you have already performed for is watching you at another table or you have a repeat customer your credibility as a mentalist sticks with you and the effects don't just turn into tricks from the spectators point of view.

If you pay a little attention to presentation and force different things, there's no reason not to use 'forces'.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
Agreed, but like I said this is just my preference to performing in a walk around situation and not having to worry about anything of the sort.(forces) That's not to say that there are some great effects to perform with forces it just doesn't suit my style.

Daren
Twitter @darjames
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
You may like 'the unexpected' from innermind productions. This has a lot of impromptu pieces that use not much more than pen and business cards.
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5134 Posts

Profile of Amirá
If you wanna learn 5 pieces of impromptu mentalism ( no setup, no gimmicks, borrow objects)that can fit in walkaround work, you will wanna look my ebook "Mysteries Anywhere"

http://www.imentalism.com/index.php/e-books/general/ma

al the money is recolected for my country Chile, so if you can donate more , I will appreciate
Pablo
Performer and Author

www.mentalismcenter.com

www.arkanosophy.com
dsacks
View Profile
Special user
609 Posts

Profile of dsacks
Quote:
On 2010-02-28 15:07, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
Mark Striving's published a book awhile back entitled appropriately enough, "Walk-Around Mentalism."

Also check out Mobile Mentalism - it is a two volume set. Some great material.
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
Last night, I used a NW'er for almost half my walk-around work. I felt a little guilty about it. I could have only done this and had a great night with happy clients. Guessing thought-of numbers and letters makes for a strong opener in a mentalism set.

To feel I'd actually worked, I also used a few strong, "propless" (and some "naked", i.e. actually propless) routines I've found over the last few years of reading and careful study. You should have no problem finding plenty of workable routines for a close-up set. Just start buying books. Soon, you'll have too much to choose from.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
Psychological Mind Reading Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of Psychological Mind Reading Illusionist
One of my favorite sure-fire routine is with Richard Osterlind's Break Through Card System. I think he has a book and a dvd for it.

Johnny
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Walk-around Mentalism (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL