The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Super X levitation/suspension (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jon Gallagher
View Profile
Veteran user
Elmwood, Illinois
395 Posts

Profile of Jon Gallagher
I bought a used super x levitation/suspension, but there are no instructions or suggestions with it. Putting it together was no problem, despite the fact that I'm severely mechanically challenged. But after I got it together, I noted that the gimmick is pretty obvious. I realize that standing in front of it will hide it, but does that mean I need another assistant to move the cutouts? And what about the brace on the floor?

Any help here would be really appreciated. We won't be performing this until the summer season (June/July) but I'd like to have an idea of what I'm getting into. Either post here or email me at jonmagic@hotmail.com.

Thanks!
www.jongallagher.com

Hey! I'm finally a Dot Com!
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
The floor piece is covered with a loose carpet or, even better, enclosed within a hollow wooden base (see photo links below)

The bare-bones presentation of "Super-X" starts with a floor length cloth hanging down from the front of the board , in addition to the two "supports" on either end of the board.

After the assistant is situated on the board the cloth is pulled up to wrap around her (with the magician standing behind the girl on the board) Then the two end supports are removed. Voila! She floats!

This is the probably the weakest presentation. See Mickey Hades Publications' book "Encyclopedia of Levitations and Suspensions" for some ideas on presenting an improved "Super-X".

Also, if you can find it get David Charvet's book on Jack Gwynne for some great photos and discussion on presenting the suspension. (Gwynne had a suspension that was essentially the Super-X , but had so many improvements in the handling and presentation that it was vastly superior to Super-X).

There is a photo of a Gwynne-style "Super-X" on Douglas TIlford's web site, which shows what can be done with the design of the "sawhorse-style" supports to eliminate the use of the front drape on Super-X.

Even with this set-up it is best to have an assistant on hand to remove the supports, as the magician "concentrates" all his energy on suspending the girl in mid-air.

See Tilford's photo of improved Super-X:

http://www.tilfordillusions.com/centurySuspension.html

Also, take a look at the photo on this page to get ideas on how you could modify your basic Super-X unit :

http://www.illusions4sale.com/blaney.htm

With the basic Super-X unit the gimmick is more centered, but consider using three v-shaped (two fold) support screens; one on either end and one in the center. The screen in the center is the "cover" for the gimmick, with the other two screens pulled out to the side.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
In Paul Osborne Illusion Book #2 he has the Hade-E-Levitation Plan which allows the table to drop down and expose a floating person from the audience using the Super X with you standing where your supposed to, then he has the table rise again so you can move away. This concept allows for a single person to do it without an assistant. I plan to build this one, but haven't yet!

The Super-X greatest quality is it photo shoot capability. Mark Wilson (Video #3 Levitations) goes into great detail about the super x and has plenty of great photos on the super X and it's variations for advertising and how he used it to float a mayor on the City Hall steps.

It's major weakness is the need for assistants.

If one understands how to use triple velvet, appropriate lighting the use of Black Art can work!
Dennis Michael
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
295 Posts

Profile of davekilpatrick
One possibility is to have three crates or other supports. One goes under each end, one in the middle. You pull out one side, then pull out the other. Stand in front of the gimmick, and lean down a bit to move the third, middle support far enough behind to be convincing, but not far enough to be difficult to retrieve at the end. That middle one does not contain the gimmick. It merely hides it until you can stand in front of it.

Although the Super-X is a legitimate, viable stage illusion, I agree with Dennis that it's greatest strength is a photo shoot.
Jon Gallagher
View Profile
Veteran user
Elmwood, Illinois
395 Posts

Profile of Jon Gallagher
Thanks for the help! When I bought this, I was under the impression that I was buying Phil Moore's "Lighter than Air," but that was my mistake, not the seller's.

I was hoping that I could do this with just one assistant, but it looks like I'll have to continue doing the Flying Carpet whenever just one of my daughters is available. I could always use a member of the audience, but I can see the lawsuits now....

Thanks again for your help and I'll start working on this as soon as I can.

-Jon
www.jongallagher.com

Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
Earth
121 Posts

Profile of Illusionist
I will give you a secret... sort of. in the levetation ( super x ) I am modifying the gimmick to be hidden in the shaft of a tall multiple candle holder. Allowing the magi to walk around. there are two other holders, one on each side. and the one in the middle.

this one is still on the drawing board but tell me what you think. Smile Smile Smile
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
My presentation (and plan) which was written up in Genii had a large pirate sword in a support standing in front of the ------, I also had a full base on casters to enclose the ground supports. With this I was able to remove each end support and then as I stepped back behind the floatee, I removed the sword. Timing is the key here, as the sword starts coming up as I get into position. Many people actually believe they see the person float without the sword there.

I then use the sword to pass around the person in place of a hoop, with a hand switch as it goes beneath them. I then replace the sword and walk away. Put the uprights back in et voila. Only note is that this is more for a larger/deeper stage as you do have tighter angles, the sword is not that wide.

Blair
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
There is an old Ren Fetzer idea that was in Tops years ago., Make a hollow base to hold the base of the super-x and put it on casters. Make a three fold screen front. It now looks like a table. As you perform it, you have only to have your assistant remove the three fold front as you stand hiding the gimmick. Replacing the screen later, covers things again. You have only to control the view of the spectator which is pretty easy. This makes the illusion practical to do.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Jon, if you are concerned with having only one assistant, why not use someone from the audience as the floatee. This would allow you the use of your assistant to remove the panels.

Another might be to make a wedge shape screen, as in the Floating Carpet, and pull it back to cover the -------.

Blair
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Greetings-

I built & modified Paul Osbornes Super Suspension-I have the support bar in a base on wheels-I use Greek3 sides Pillars as supports & can support 300lbs easily-I can do this with no asssistants except my daughter who lies on the Illusion etc-I slide the supports to the back of me if required-The bar is 20mm thick stainless steel-matt black-The black art principal also works well with black velvet & background if required!!!

I also can do this with an audience member & use my daughter to take away the supports & hand me the hoop etc

I also sometimes ask other Magicians to come to the shows & help by removing the supports etc

So basically I have 3 versions-they all work & the illusion is super strong& is held together by brackets & 4 nuts & bolts-assembles in 8 mins & fits in my car including the base which is strong but light in weight & is 1 piece on casters

Great Illusion & works well-only advice is watch angles 45 degrees is fine& I only perform this on a stage-which is a great option-I don't want to use this in every show!!

Jon-I can rollit on & off no problems-So is definetly worth pursuing!!

Good Luck
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Just an idea that was touched on in the above (re. black art) is that if the lights dim and you have a black light aimed at the unit and black backdrop, you could take away all supports and just have the person floating in a slight glow. A little mist, or dry ice and your away.

Blair
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Blair-

The black art principal works really well with good Lighting as you have the bar & backdrop that I use to use over a 3 panel screen with my name on it etc-

This is invisible even from around 4-5 metres-works well

I used to use this on a broomstick illusion-the pole had a 3/4 shell around it that was removed briefly to show the assistant not supported at all-all black art & was a real baffler to other magicians at times!!!

Add a bit of dry ice as you mention & it would add a nice little mystery!!

-Brent
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

I still like the added touch of the black light to give the glow, also for a safety factor re. the lighting. Love the Super - X. My daughter started doing it with me when she was 7 or 8, we used the "Beauty and the Beast" song (Celine Dion version)

Now shes' my prime box jumper, and the Gallows (full size Gaughan version) is her solo effect.

The Super-X has gotten me great photo coverage in the papers over the years (my first at 22 yrs. old, half page! that was cool!! 1974 - good grief!!) If you click on the link below you end up with my scrapbook page, there is a good set-up shot of the Super-X. Wish I had it up there in colour. It was used for a local magic restaurant that I worked on the creative end. Its' a fun illusion to play with.

Blair
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
Another might be to make a wedge shape screen, as in the Floating Carpet,

I have that Genii with your pirate sword plan! LOL

I have a set of plans, put out by Grant? and I believe even sold, "the princess of the air" or something like that. anyway, it used 3 screens to take heat off the.......

s
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

To the Sponge: You're that old!!!! (Aren't we all?) Good grief! That was published in the 70s'.

Bill printed a lot of my material in Genii. In one issue I think he gave me 7-8 pages. This was in the days before Osborne. Up to that time very little was being published on illusions.

Blair
Dr Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Sparks, NV
154 Posts

Profile of Dr Magic
I am dying to review this when it comes out!
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Hey Dr Magic???

Dying to review this when it comes out

???

Review what, when say what???

Not sure what you are talking about!

Blair
Jon Gallagher
View Profile
Veteran user
Elmwood, Illinois
395 Posts

Profile of Jon Gallagher
Wow! I posted that original message nearly THREE YEARS ago and we're still getting replies!

Just to update, I use the Super X every once in a while and have gotten really good comments about it. I may try some of the newer suggestions here... I'll let you know.

Thanks!

-Jon
www.jongallagher.com

Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Old topics never die!!! Super-X forever!!!!

Blair (Chuckle!)
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Blair-

Great website-Love to see your full show sometime-Looks like a great nights fun& entertainment!!

Love the scrapbook!!

-Brent
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Super X levitation/suspension (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL