The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review: Keymaster (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1779 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
Review: Keymaster

The Effect:
A key is shown and handed to the spectator to hold. Another key is shown (and examined) before the magician visibly removes the hole from the key (making it solid) and makes it appear on the key in the spectator’s hand. This key now has two holes in it.

The magician picks up the key with two holes in it, and gives the spectator the solid key. He takes one of the holes from the key and decides to repeat the effect and throws the hole back at the spectator’s key. Only this time, the hole is in the middle of the stem, rather than the round part.

Everything can now be examined.

In a nutshell:
I love this trick. Its ‘street’ value is through the roof. It looks cool, has strong visual moments and is practical for everyday carrying around. When asked to perform an effect, it looks natural to have keys in your pocket and be ready to perform, unlike playing cards, which make you look ‘geeky’ if you have those in your pocket 24/7.

The keys:
There are 3 gimmicked keys. All of which you will find almost impossible to make yourself. Trust me, I tried getting a key trick made a year ago and hit brick walls in the process. So I don’t know how Craig did it, but he has and you will need his DVD & props to perform this trick. The keys are solid metal, and will last a lifetime.

The keys are left uncut. This allows you to go into a key-cutters and have the keys cut to match your own house keys. It therefore makes the trick practical and useful, along with being a trick.
However, one key has a hole in the stem. You may need to speak to the key-cutter and ask him to cut around that hole depending on the design off your original house key. It means that one key won’t open your door, but it’s a little thing, as the other two keys will and there is no reason why you would have this key and not the others.

The Improvements:
There is nothing wrong with this trick, but this wouldn’t be a complete review without mentioning a couple of possible improvements. The first is the hole in the stem. If it was slightly smaller, cutting around it would be easier. Also if the hole was further down the stem (towards the end) you could attach it onto the same key-thob as the other keys and make transportation of the trick easier, keeping all the keys together. Some thobs won’t have a problem with this as it is, and it doesn’t effect the trick, I just mention it for day-to-day portability.

I would prefer a set of keys made in silver, as it is more visible in dark areas and the gold keys are similar in colour to my skin tone, making them slightly harder to see. I also believe the ‘ghost hole’ would work better with silver keys because the brightness around the hole will be better for the camouflage. But it still works with the gold, and I haven’t tried it with silver so maybe there is a practical reason for not using that colour, I don’t know.

You have to get your own key-thob. Nothing too bad here, but he has an excellent one which I have never seen before. Craig forgets to mention where he bought it from, and if he can buy them in bulk for a few pennies each, it would be nice to include them in your next batch (or at least make them available to buy through WMS).

Technical Details:
The DVD starts of with two performances of the two routines Craig performs. This is very nicely shot and the cameraman does a great job. You can hear everything and see everything you need to see. The explanation, while not bad does come under a little scrutiny. I have a background in media, so I can see when a camera’s Iris is overexposed to light and making a persons head ‘shine’, which unfortunately is happening hear. It’s not too bad, but guys come on, sort out your camera skills.
The sound is also low on this production, not as bad as the previous release, mainly because Craig is thankfully loud and so he compensates for the soundman. But again, these are mistakes high-school students don’t even make. I shouldn’t be seeing them in a full production company video.
I also have to mention the background. You have two posters on the back wall which have heavy designs on them. This camouflages Craig’s head even further, and bleeds out the colour with the spotlight you have on them. Get rid of those posters.
On a plus side, there are two cameras used and the close-up camera is excellent. Editing is excellent and you have a perfect viewing angle for all sections of the trick. It makes learning the routine incredibly easy with no need to ever hit the rewind or zoom buttons, because it is all displayed cleanly on the screen for you to see.

I guess you want me to mention the chimp since he has been in all your 2010 DVDs. My advice is too stick the chimp behind the camera because he can probably do a better job. Lol.

Duration:
44 minutes

The Presenter:
Craig is an excellent teacher. He explains everything rather well, and you get the idea that he loves this effect, is proud of it and wants you to love it also. He is clear and easy to hear and shows every move involved in the routine slowly, so that it is easy to follow. He is very good. I probably would have liked him to have a co-presenter or a spectator to talk to, who he could have performed the routine on. Even if that person just came in for the last 10 minutes of the video. Just so we can go through the entire routine again with another person to perform on. Sometimes they can ask questions which the viewers find helpful. But on his own, Craig does an excellent job and even though I’ve only watched it once, feel comfortable enough to go out and start performing the trick now.

The Credits:
I am aware of some controversial regarding the trick. I have watched Pothole, Holy Moly and the other effects in question and none of them are like Keymaster. Keymaster is its own effect and very different to those just mentioned. Yes, this is a moving hole routine, but it goes so much further with new props and routines in mind. I don’t believe anyone should have any problem saying this is Craig’s trick. It may be an improvement of those others, but it is such a big and necessary improvement that he deserves the credit for coming up with it, and the pursuit of putting it together.

Alternatives:
An alternative handling I can see is to use only the solid key with the ghost hole and just perform a one key routine where you remove the hole, and throw it back on in the wrong place. The effect is strong, quick and easy to follow and there is no sleight-of-hand needed, with just the one key in play. If you need something quick and snappy to impress them with, it’s a nice shortened version of the keymaster routine.

Conclusion:
This trick has to be up there as a contender for trick of the year. Its solves the problems with other moving hole tricks, makes it practical and hip to perform. The magic happens in the spectators hands and yet is very visual and easy to follow. You are left clean at the end with everything able to be examined and the DVD instructions have been the easiest to follow for a long time.

This is a great routine and definitely worth buying for those working the real world and want to look cool. I definitely think we will be seeing it on some TV special soon.

Steve
Doctor D
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of Doctor D
About getting the kays cut: I don't think it is possible to actually have them match your regular keys, since the Keymaster ones already have two grooves in them (mine do, anyway). That is the reason I'm still secretly hoping there's a place where one can get undrilled keys...

I'm surprised you didn't make a comparison between the two routines, Keymaster and Gatekeeper. Like Craig, I also prefer the single key routine. It requires less pocket management, is instantly reset, and has more magical moments than the Keymaster one.

I'm also itching to try the Ghost Hole bit with a certain type of marker...
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I suspect the keys could be cut in some way if a person choose to make them cosmetically more realistic looking. I would not count on using them as your house keys as there are many different key shapes and blanks and on the video these appears shorter than typical house key blanks.

Posted: Mar 3, 2010 10:14am
I also want to thank ku7uk3 for what are a group of obviously well thought out apparently unbiased reviews.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Looks like an already marketed effect called Key Deposit, which is owned by Paul Richards of Elmwood Magic. Was this credited on Craig Petty's dvd?

Key Deposit

http://images.dcheetahimages.com/www.elm......Demo.wmv
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2490 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Review king. Sanky who created said one phase trick has a mention on there. Its done mate let it go
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Review King, I believe Craig spoke to Paul in Blackpool.

Nothing to see here.

Move along there.
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1588 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Hey Stephen

Thanks for the great review. As I mentioned in the 'Latest and Greatest' Thread the feedback I have received about Keymaster has been amazing. I am glad that it is finding a place in so many performers bag of tricks!

Also I love your idea of using the Ghost Hole principle along with one of the gaffs to put together an ultra quick handling - very creative!

Anyway thanks again and if anyone else has questions about the product just let me know

Craig
[url= http://youtube.com/c/slightlyunusualmagic
'Magic TV YouTube Channel ' by Craig Petty[/url]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2010-03-03 15:33, Andi Peters wrote:
Review King, I believe Craig spoke to Paul in Blackpool.

Nothing to see here.

Move along there.


Andi, you are WRONG! Craig Petty did not speak with Paul Richards at Blackpool. He must have still been too busy. Maybe get your facts straight before posting.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Quote:
On 2010-03-04 10:56, Review King wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-03-03 15:33, Andi Peters wrote:
Review King, I believe Craig spoke to Paul in Blackpool.

Nothing to see here.

Move along there.



Andi, you are WRONG! Craig Petty did not speak with Paul Richards at Blackpool. He must have still been too busy. Maybe get your facts straight before posting.

How do you know they didn't speak? Are you a private investigator?
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2010-03-04 13:53, Andi Peters wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-03-04 10:56, Review King wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-03-03 15:33, Andi Peters wrote:
Review King, I believe Craig spoke to Paul in Blackpool.

Nothing to see here.

Move along there.



Andi, you are WRONG! Craig Petty did not speak with Paul Richards at Blackpool. He must have still been too busy. Maybe get your facts straight before posting.

How do you know they didn't speak? Are you a detective Chris?


While 90% of my family is in law enforcement, I didn't have to be a detective. I wrote and asked Paul Richards. Instead of just making it up like you did, I found out the facts.

Andi, your system is interesting: make it up, to cover it up.

:rotf:
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Well done on going the extra mile. You won. Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
It's not about me winning. I like Craig Petty's work and would like to get this effect, but not until the issue is cleared up. Craig should write Paul Richards and Jay Sankey as a professional courtesy. Until then, I don't think anyone should support this. Yes, his friends and the people he gave free product to will support him, but the general consumer should stay away.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1588 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Ah Chris, hello

Good to see you on another thread about Keymaster.

It wouldn't feel the same here without you.

Craig
[url= http://youtube.com/c/slightlyunusualmagic
'Magic TV YouTube Channel ' by Craig Petty[/url]
rochaz
View Profile
Veteran user
I'm TORN.........
378 Posts

Profile of rochaz
Craig,
When will this be available thru US dealers?

This looks like it's a blast to perform!!



rochaz
- We do not want them to suspend disbelief in the way they would in theater and story. We want them to think critically and observe carefully. Our job is to force them to believe in magic even against their better judgment.”
Whit Hayden

:Juan R Rocha:
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1588 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Hi Rochaz, thank for the feedback - its a fun effect!

The last time I spoke to World Magic Store they were planning on sending a batch to Murphy's at the end of this week. If that's still the case I imagine that US dealers should be getting stock next week sometime.


Thanks for your interest!
[url= http://youtube.com/c/slightlyunusualmagic
'Magic TV YouTube Channel ' by Craig Petty[/url]
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Hi Craig

Nice effect, I've just bought it, however I do have one question. Would it be possible to get some keys with no holes at all. E.g not in the stem or top. I have a routine in mind and I really need a key like this. I'm sure that you probably can't cause you have to but in bulk. But I'm a believer in if you don't ask you'll never no. (I'm willing to pay)

Anyway, whatever the case may be, I look forward to your response.

All The Best
Nechto
View Profile
Special user
UK
870 Posts

Profile of Nechto
Now having watched the whole DVD, I'd like to add my own personal thoughts upon this routine.

It was just as I expected, two full solid routines that are taught in great detail so that even someone with no knowledge of magic could pick it up and with some practice be performing this without years of practice. Obviously it isn't self working and will take practice but both the Gatekeeper and Keymaster routines are packed full of magical moments and have a nice flow to them.

Craig's teaching style is relaxed, clear and concise, leaving nothing to the imagination. This is perfect for beginners and gives the more seasoned performer a few seconds to be practicing the routine sections whilst the sleights are explained. All the footage is shot clearly and is easy to follow, no fancy cuts, edits or moving camera zooming business, it is all about the teaching.

Although there has been some debate about how similar this is to Jay's routines Holy Moly and Key Deposit I honestly believe there is enough of a difference to warrant its release. At the end of the day a moving hole has been a premise that has been explored for years by magicians, I would even imagine there being some moving hole effects in the Tarbell series. The Keymaster routines are multiphase routines rather than just one phase and they both have a nice flow to them as well as being easy to follow for the layperson. The keys could also be used to come up with your own handlings and routines, something that isn't really possible with Holy Moly or Key Deposit. There is definitely more that you can do with the Keymaster set, which I like. Don't get me wrong, this isn't to say that Jay's routines aren't good as anyone with any idea about magic (especially performing magic for laypeople) will know the power of his effects, I just personally prefer Keymaster as it feels more natural or 'organic' for me and allows for a lengthier performance.

The only thing left to talk about I think are the gimmicks you receive. There are 3 manufactured gimmicks that are very well made and will last you a lifetime, unless of course you lose them or leave them in front of a moving steamroller! Of course I am sure you could come up with other a fancy ways to break them (pneumatic drill for instance) but under normal circumstances you will have no problems with these as there is nothing to go wrong with them!

To sum up I am very happy with my purchase and will definitely be using this in my walkaround magic. Two thumbs up!

Ben Williams
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1141 Posts

Profile of caigy
I have just had the keys cut, free of charge, at my local cobbler/key cutting shop and what a difference it makes, not only to the overall look but to the handling. It's well worth taking the time out to have done.
I am extremely pleased with the Keymaster props and the routining is very well explained on the DVD by Craig.
This is one I think I will be using for a long time to come.

Paul Mc.
Exclusive Worldwide Supplier of the Grismer Lock.

Top Class, Individually Crafted Performance Pieces, For The Discerning Psychological Entertainer

www.psychicmentality.com
https://virya-uk.com/
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Craig said you can't get keys without a hole in the head and therefore he had to have them specially made.

So either Paul or Craig are telling porkie pies. Come on, own up, who's the porkster?


Posted: Mar 13, 2010 2:17pm
--------------------------------
On second reading don't worry! I see you had the original set cut, not a new set made up. Apologies for the confusion.

Humbly

And
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1588 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Hey guys, thanks for all the great responses this last week I am so glad that everyone is enjoying Keymaster, those you you that have it know what a fun effect it is to perform.

I have had a load of people email me asking when it will be available through their local dealer. I believe they are being sent to Murphy's this week so look for it soon.

Thanks again for the reviews guys - keep them coming

Craig


Quote:
On 2010-03-04 22:00, truesoldier wrote:
Hi Craig

Nice effect, I've just bought it, however I do have one question. Would it be possible to get some keys with no holes at all. E.g not in the stem or top. I have a routine in mind and I really need a key like this. I'm sure that you probably can't cause you have to but in bulk. But I'm a believer in if you don't ask you'll never no. (I'm willing to pay)

Anyway, whatever the case may be, I look forward to your response.

All The Best

Missed this post sorry about that!

There are plans in place to provide this as you are not the only person to ask (and sooner than you think)

Hope this helps

Craig
[url= http://youtube.com/c/slightlyunusualmagic
'Magic TV YouTube Channel ' by Craig Petty[/url]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review: Keymaster (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.45 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL