The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review: Keymaster (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1411 Posts

Profile of Jared
'To cut or not to cut' is the question. Thankfully, I read this thread before running over to the hardware store to get my keys cut.

I hope that Craig jumps in and offers some direction. For myself, I would prefer that keys were cut because they'd seem more natural. However, I also thought about buying a duplicate Keymaster set so that I could also make the keys 'cut' inside the spectators own hands...could be pretty cool.

I love both of Craig's routines and the the props are certainly well made. My only minor quibble is that I would prefer that the keys were slighly shorter to match the most common keys found in the USA. The other obvious benefit would be that they'd be easier to palm without flashing.

-Jared

FYI- the key fob that Craig uses during his performance appears to be the same supplied as Gregory Wilson's 'Freakey'. This fob is outstanding compared to anything that I've been able to source in retail stores. If someone could please share any information about where to find them then please forward me a link. I'd like to buy at least a dozen as spares. Mine broke once but repairing it was easy as long as you don't lose the spring or threaded screw.

-Jared
Adam Hince
View Profile
Elite user
Pittsburgh, PA
489 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
I've had this for a few weeks, and while I haven't performed it for an audience yet, I tried it for a few guys at the local magic club. It was a big hit!

I've routined in such a way that will allow for an instant reset, which is crucial for me if I'm going to work it into my repertoire.

In regards to the fob, I have the fob from Freakey but won't be using it for this effect. I agree with Jared that the spring and screw can pop out from the Freakey fob and are easy to lose. Instead, I picked up a pack of 1/2" binder rings at an office supply store (as mentioned in the Latest and Greatest thread for this trick). Easy to open, no springs to lose.

I'll offer an actual review once I've had a chance to perform it for a real audience, but I really like the potential of this one!

-AH
moechsle
View Profile
New user
Ĺrhus, Denmark
42 Posts

Profile of moechsle
Quote:
On 2010-03-25 08:35, Joe Mauro wrote:
Uncut keys? No thank you!

Can't see the problem in that. You can just point out that the most unusual thing about this key is not that it's so old it lost its teeth - no, the most unusual thing is this hole - watch the hole .... did you feel the hole go through your hand?

Or explain that this magic key fits any lock...
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5486 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2010-03-25 07:36, 2010multimagic wrote:
Oh dear !! I have heard in the pipe line that the original "Keymaster" key set should not of been "cut into," as they will not work in conjunction with Keymaster2.0!!!

I can see this causing a few problems!! Luckily my set are still in original form, but for the people that have had them cut, they are going to be very disappointed. Craig should definitely mentioned not to cut into the keys on the DVD!!!

I am sure that this is going to be a topic of conversation over the next couple of months....

Until then ...

Maybe Craig did not know he was going to release Keymaster 2.0 at the time. Craig has been around a while in the magic community and most everything he puts out is top notch. I have this and people most of the time (actually almost all the time) don't even notice the keys being uncut or if they do it is trumped by the magical moments during the routine. The keys are solid and are handled by the spectator so if they are cut or uncut it doesn't matter- there is nothing hidden from them!

RNK
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1504 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Quote:
On 2010-03-03 11:12, Review King wrote:
Looks like an already marketed effect called Key Deposit, which is owned by Paul Richards of Elmwood Magic. Was this credited on Craig Petty's DVD?

Key Deposit

http://images.dcheetahimages.com/www.elm......Demo.wmv

I looked at the link here and Keymaster doesn't look like Key Deposit. There's no tag in Keymaster and in this trick the whole is moving back and forth between two keys. Moving hole effects have been around quite some time so I don't see how you could say "This looks like an already marketed effect." By that reasoning you might as well say this was designed by Mike Weber. Sankey has Holey Moley but there were moving holes before that. There was one in Kaufman's Coinmagic using a small cutout of electrical tape and I had an improvement on that in Magic in the early 90s. It's good that people constantly try to think up different ways to dress up old plots. Plus, you didn't even KNOW if there was crediting. Yet you're coming here saying "Looks like a marketed effect..."

Now if this effect was a hole moving from a tag to a key...then yeah. Make that statement.

Quote:
On 2010-04-05 14:21, moechsle wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-03-25 08:35, Joe Mauro wrote:
Uncut keys? No thank you!

Can't see the problem in that. You can just point out that the most unusual thing about this key is not that it's so old it lost its teeth - no, the most unusual thing is this hole - watch the hole ... did you feel the hole go through your hand?

Or explain that this magic key fits any lock...

Both good examples of thinking outside the box. Besides, as another poster mentioned previously, you can still have these cut if you really want to.
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
Wouldn't using an uncut key and saying "this magic key fits ANY lock" imply that the key is doing the magic/or it's a trick key?

I don't have it and am still open to getting it, I just don't like the use of uncut keys ( I thought it was suggest not to cut the keys ).
~Joe
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2536 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I purchased this effect. Except for one move which caught me off gaurd (which is well explained as is everything on the DVD) I thought the method quite obvious. I perform for layman so will give it a try and report back. 2 comments; I call them "virgin keys"
What you get is exactly what you see in the demo clips, they do not appear edited. If you like those clips you will like the product. If you do not, there is nothing else to see
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1589 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Thanks everyone for your comments about keymaster. As I mentioned on the 'Pool Ball Miracles' thread I have been on holiday in San Francisco for the last two weeks and it was my birthday yesterday so I have had very little time to come on the Café.

With that being said let me address some of the questions that have arisen while I have been away. Firstly, Keymaster 2.0 will eventually come out but not for a long while. Keymaster 2.0 was always planned right from the very beginning (to the point that we actually have most of the gimmicks already made) but we decided to hold off on bringing this out in order to make the original effect as cost effective and accessible as possible. Keymaster 2.0 will give you more routines and options with the original Keymaster but it is not intended to replace the original in any way shape or form.

I have been performing Keymaster for a long time and there are other routines and ideas you can perform with the set. It has been great to hear from people that have brought Keymaster that have been sharing with me their ideas with the set. You guys are coming up with some great moves and concepts. Keymaster 2.0 would simply give you more tools and ideas in order to perform more routines. Obviously you can just buy the original Keymaster and leave it there but for those of you who like Keymaster the follow up will make you like it even more.

Having said all that I would prefer to focus on the original Keymaster as that is what is available right now even I have no idea when Keymaster 2.0 will be out.

The one thing I have noticed from the emails that I have received is that Keymaster is something that people are actually using in the real world and this was my intention when I released the DVD. This is a solid commercial routine that you will use. I personally perform the Gate Keeper routine more that I do the Keymaster routine but that is just personal preference. I love the phase in Gate Keeper where the hole is slid down the length of the stem and then fuses back onto the key seemingly in mid air. A lot of people have mentioned to me that their favourite part of the effect is that they can hang their gimmicks on a bunch of keys and be good to go any time and any place. I have been experimenting recently with combining Keymaster with Pro Flight by Nicholas Einhorn. For those of you that have pro flight PM me and I will go through what I am doing to routine the two effects together - the two routines performed as a set work brilliantly together. I know that Nicholas Einhorn is working with Keymaster as well which is a great.

Finally I do not have my keys cut and I never have. I have only once had a spectator point out that the keys are uncut in over two years and I simply said that these are what keys look like before they are cut. As the keys are examinable at the beginning and the end of the routine it is a non issue. If you want to get your keys cut then go right ahead - I cannot stop you. Doing this will mean some of the things we are planning with Keymaster 2.0 would be harder to pull off (but not impossible). Of course cutting or not cutting the keys will not affect the original Keymaster in any way.

I hope all this helps, as normal if I can be of further help just let me know and I will try to respond as quickly as possible.

Craig
[url= http://youtube.com/c/slightlyunusualmagic
'Magic TV YouTube Channel ' by Craig Petty[/url]
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7009 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I agree with Craig. Since the keys are examinable, it doesn't matter if they are cut or not. If the spectator suspects they are "trick keys", let them look at them. They will have nowhere to go in terms of explanation.

I also think that some of the moves may be obvious to a magician but I don't think a lay person will have a clue as you are so far ahead with this routine.

Really like this a lot. Haven't performed it yet for real people but I will very soon!
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1589 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Hey Cameron.

Thanks for the comments. Means a lot coming from officially the most creative magician on the planet!!

Let me know how it goes when you get out there and start performing with it.

Catch you soon

Craig
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1352 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Just got Keymaster in,
as with all the other Craig Petty items I have purchased, I love it.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1589 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Hey Professor

Thanks for your feedback, glad you are enjoying Keymaster. I would love to hear how it goes for you in the 'real world'!!!.

As a matter of interest which routine do you prefer 'Keymaster' or 'Gatekeeper'?

Catch you soon

Craig
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1352 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
I leaning more towards Keymaster.
Also Craig, not to change the subject, but.. Pool Ball Miracles rocks.
Both your new offerings are a refreshing break from card magic. I am looking forward to adding these to my close up set which contains lots of card stuff already.

Also, someone mentioned in another thread that Key fobs can be found here in the states at the Dollar Store, in case anyone is looking.

Thanks Craig.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1589 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Glad you like Pool Ball Miracles - I am really proud of that DVD set.

Anyway you lean towards Keymaster - interesting. From what I have heard in terms of feedback there is a 50/50 split some people prefer Keymaster whilst some people prefer Gatekeeper.

In terms of keyfobs, I am in the States at the moment and I saw some of these keyfobs the other day - I think they are quite easy to get hold of.

By the way, have you or do you plan on using the ghost hole principle?

Craig
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2010-03-03 11:12, Review King wrote:
Looks like an already marketed effect called Key Deposit, which is owned by Paul Richards of Elmwood Magic. Was this credited on Craig Petty's dvd?

Key Deposit

http://images.dcheetahimages.com/www.elm......Demo.wmv

I purchased Sankey's key Deposit some time back. Great trick! Now I have purchased Keymaster from a friend here on the Café, so I hope to have the best of both worlds!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1589 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
I hope you enjoy Keymaster Doug. I think you'll find the addition of the hole jumping back onto the initial key quite a powerful moment especially when it is discovered that the hole is on the stem of the key.

When you have played around with it let me know how it goes for you.

Craig
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I appreciate it. I'm still waiting for it to arrive. But I thought the hole in the stem was just offbeat enough to come across as a downright miracle! (To the specs)

And that first part where the hole is visibly pulled off the head? The stuff of legends, my man!
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1589 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Thanks again for the comments Doug. Can't to hear what you think of it when it arrives.

By the way I have noticed that Sleight Geek have filmed their own trailer to Keymaster and posted it on You Tube. I thought I would post the link so that you guys can see someone other than me performing the effect. I thought they did a good job

Craig

Link to Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT7Xh557GKc
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Thanks for the link! I'm still looking forward to it's arrival. The only thing in my mailbox today was Gregory Wilson's "Pipstreak."

Posted: Apr 29, 2010 11:00am
---------------------------------
It arrived and it's beautiful! Should be a worker for me. I can't believe I was fooled by the G***t h**e principal! D'oh!

But in this context, it was just different enough to slip by me.

All in all a great routine with bare minimal sleights. I like it!
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1589 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Hey Doug, thanks for your feedback

Don't feel bad I have lost count of the amount of people that the Ghost Hole Principle has fooled. It is such a simple addition to the routine that really adds to the overall effect.

Let me know how things go once you have performed it a couple of times. If there is anything else I can do just let me know

Craig
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review: Keymaster (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL