The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Non-traditional Induction (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Psychological Mind Reading Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of Psychological Mind Reading Illusionist
What is non-traditional induction and how is it different from the traditional induction?

Johnny
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
In your previous post you mention the book "Ericksonian Approaches." In that book it has a section on "Traditional vs. Non-Traditional Inductions." I'm going to assume this is what you are asking about.

In this context, there are a couple of traditional induction methods. Each has many variations. Perhaps the most common is the one that is most commonly taught. It is known as a "progressive relaxation" (some call it a "progressive muscle relaxation") method. In this method the hypnotist leads the person(s) being hypnotized through a visualized journey of their body, telling this person to relax each part of their body, leaving the person in a very relaxed state. From this relaxed condition, the hypnotist leads the person to another mental state, relaxing the mind as well as the body, producing a deep trance state. Pros: easy to explain in person and in writing; easy to learn; most people willing to follow instruction can reach a hypnotic trance. Cons: it can take a looooong time to obtain hypnosis, 20 minutes or even much longer; many people tire of this boring induction and would prefer to do anything—like watching curling on the Olympics—rather than sit through this any longer. Popular with people who learn hypnosis from a book, New-Age oriented books and practitioners. Unpopular with hypnotherapists and stage hypnotists because it takes too long.

The other popular form of traditional induction is where the person being hypnotized focuses on something, usually something visual. This can be a spot on the wall, a light above the head, or as in the "Cerbonne Butterfly," on the fingertips. This person being hypnotized is observed for a change in mental/awareness state and at the appropriate time, the focus is quickly changed. This is known as a "pattern interrupt." Sometimes, this can be done by shouting (usually the word "sleep") at the appropriate moment. Usually this only produces a light trance and requires immediate deepening. Pros: works very quickly; with a good trainer and astute student, it is fairly easy to learn. Cons: some people have trouble learning it; some idiots think that a violent yanking that can harm someone is necesssary. Popular among hypnotherapists and stage hypnotists because many subjects (and audience members) expect something like this and will go easily into a light trance.

In both of these instances, the most common way of doing this is known as "authoritarian" or "paternal." You order the person (or people) to do things. Some people do not react well to authoritarian induction methods.

There are numerous non-traditional induction methods, most of which are focused around some kind of pattern interrupt. By using somewhat jarring jumps in logic or by breaking obvious actions (as in the famous Ericksonian Handshake) you take the person being hypnotized into a sort of nebulous "where do I go from here?" mindset, and then allow them to enter trance. Pros: gentle and "safe" for some people who are fearful of hypnosis or resistant to more traditional induction methods. Cons: for some people the many possibilities used in these methods can be confusing, complex, and difficult to learn; may take a long time to induce hypnosis, although not as long as progressive relaxation.

In such non-traditional methods, induction suggestions are often very "permissive" or "maternal." The traditional induction has the hypnotist saying "You are getting sleepy" in the form of an authoritarian order. The non-traditional induction has the hypnotist saying "And you may find, much to your delight, that you are pleasantly drifting. And as you drift, you may find that you a slipping into a wonderful state of hypnosis. I don't know when you'll be in hypnosis—maybe soon or maybe longer—but when you do you will find that your head either gently falls forward or stays where it is..."
Psychological Mind Reading Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of Psychological Mind Reading Illusionist
Thanks for the great comparison. I use the instant inductions when I'm performing but interested in the non-traditional ways as well. You're a lifesaver!

Thanks and much Appreciated
Johnny
TheTrance-Master
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of TheTrance-Master
Dmkraig:
Thanks for your insights and for mentioning my work.
There must be at least 100's of ways to induce trance, from the very old meditation methods to old Mesmeric Induction styles, all the way up to more up to date Speed Inductions.
All in all, it's the Hypnotist and their subject(s) with the latter being guided into their own naturally occuring relaxation state.
To All,
Trance On!
Your Friend,
John Cerbone
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Thanks dmkraig, great explanation!
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
"Ericksonian Approaches" Great, another book I guess I have to buy.
Terrific post dmkraig. I felt like I was reviewing for my certification test.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20427 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2010-03-08 10:26, TheTrance-Master wrote:
Dmkraig:
Thanks for your insights and for mentioning my work.
There must be at least 100's of ways to induce trance, from the very old meditation methods to old Mesmeric Induction styles, all the way up to more up to date Speed Inductions.
All in all, it's the Hypnotist and their subject(s) with the latter being guided into their own naturally occuring relaxation state.
To All,
Trance On!
Your Friend,
John Cerbone

Hundreds if not thousands of ways I agree! Definately.

One thing I want to add though. Trance on stage is as much about the audience as it is about the subject.

Many hynotists get caught up in what they like in an induction, and completely forget the audience may be bored to tears. The induction has to entertain them as well as put people in the right frame of mind.

Traditional or non traditional this is necessary.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Danny, I certainly agree.

Although this moves the topic in a different direction, I would also remind stage hypnotists about...Jack Benny. If you listen to his old radio show, or watch his old TV show, you'll see that most of the laughs were obtained by his cast and guests. He said that the next day, people would only remember that he Jack Benny show was funny.

Likewise, if you want to be known as a good stage hypnotist, after you do inductions and give suggestions for bits, get out of the way and let your "actors" entertain. They should get center stage. If they're great, people will remember that you gave a great show. If you stand center stage and try to draw all the attention, your show won't be remembered.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20427 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Of course. But as you said, it does sort of move it in another direction I am sorry.

Thing is for hypnosis shows, the induction does not last as long as the rest of it, and many a hypnotist gets caught up in it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Not only for shows, also for hypnotherapists. On another forum that is dedicated to hypnotherapy, people frequently ask about MORE! and DIFFERENT! and INSTANT! and RAPID! and ERICKSONIAN! inductions. While all that information is valuable, the important part of hypnotherapy and stage hypnosis is what goes on after the induction.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20427 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I know nothing of hypnotherapy so I do not speak of it. I will take your word for it.

The fact is it does not have to be "new" or "rapid" or "instant" to be effective.

If they have not seen a 2300 year old induction, it is "new" to them.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Non-traditional Induction (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL