The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Rapping hand plans (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Are there plans anyhwere for a Thayer/Hofzinser style rapping hand?
Or, if it's something simple, would someone PM me a description?

Thanks
-Courntey
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
I have never found a set of plans for this effect. I have researched many, if not all, the Thayer Owen plans and still no luck.
The hand itself is carved of wood. The carving is not nearly as simple as it looks and it has to have a particular balance point.
I already had an old Owen hand so I made the board myself.
To build it proper, it is not simple by no means. The gimmick is literally embedded/built into the board. Once you have laminated the pieces, there is no going back! So the gimmick has to be designed to last for many years and avoid corrosion etc.
Sorry I cannot release my plans as they are of my own design.
Hopefully this info may have helped in some way.
Thanks
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Chance,
Thank you, that helps a lot. I'm not at all skilled in building things, so I think this is probably not the project for me to work on at the moment. Smile

-Courtney

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Here's how I would have done it working for Amazing Johnathan since he never wanted to spend over ten dollars on anything. If it couldn't be made out of a cardboard box or a piece of plywood and some black paint he didn't want to mess with it. Cant argue with success and he is super successful.

Get an old mannequin hand and put a lace cuff on it. Get a square piece of plywood about a foot will do and paint it black and rig a piece of stiff wife and bend up a rig to make the hand wiggle and move up and down. A hole in the board and a couple of screw eyes under should do it. You can imagine it if you think about it. The rest is in the handling.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Tabman,

Thanks, I may try this. Do you mean that the wire would go through the board and attach to the hand? Maybe in the back so it could tilt the hand up and then down?

Thanks
-Courtney

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I've never seen one of these in person, and don't know how they work, but it would seem to be maybe better if the wire was not attached to the hand. The hand could then be lifted away from the board, displayed, or even examined. As Chance mentioned, there should be a balance point. I believe he means this point would act as a fulcrum. Assuming the hand rested on the board with the fingers elevated above the surface and the wrist end in contact with it, the wire would poke upward at the wrist end, causing the fingers to tap the surface of the board. Retracting, or lowering the wire would allow the hand's natural weight distribtion to return it to it's normal resting position. This would keep the wire behind the balance point, and pretty well hidden, although under ideal conditions, the wire could just about poke any hand at any point and make it move.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Michael Baker,
Yes that would certainly be better. I can't make one as good as Chance described, but I wonder if I could make a simple one and simply not show the board (making it seem unimportant in the presentation.)

I also wonder, if I can find well balanced enough hand, if IT would work.

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
It's probably worth a try to find out.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-03-05 15:21, seadog93 wrote:....Do you mean that the wire would go through the board and attach to the hand? Maybe in the back so it could tilt the hand up and then down?...

Not attached. Coming up through the hole and pushing on the heavy part of the hand with a spring acion. Just mess around with it. Michael Baker always has good ideas so you cant go wrong doing what he suggests.

Oh, and it will work. that's how the Hofzinser Hand started.

Have fun!!
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
Mine attaches because you can do so much more with it. The hand can actually stand up on end. Just by placing the hand on the board it is attached. Removing the hand is just as easy, just take it off of the board. Like Chance said, it's in the board. For more info go here. http://www.tabmantables.com/hofzinserhand.html
I noticed that now there are rapping hands coming in from India. Haven't seen one live but if it is like some other products.....
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
Sean-Paul
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of Sean-Paul
Does anyone know where you can get a Rapping hand from India?

I would like to see one.
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
Robbins, try here http://www.e-zmagic.com/Catalog/productD......ID=19611 although I can't tell you about the quality. They came out after we started making ours.
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
Sean-Paul
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of Sean-Paul
Oh yeah - I have seen that one.

Not what I am looking for.
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Special user
989 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
Sean, That IS the rapping hand from India.

Here is that same hand with electronics installed so you can be 100 ft. away.

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126......hand.mp4

Perhaps in your quest of the ultimate Rapping Hand, you may want to look into the handcrafted one by Domenico Dante of Italy, it does not lay on a base and operates on your command. Hocus Pocus used to carry these, I believe they are over $2,000

I use mine periodically with great results, usually around Halloween time.

Chuck Caputo
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21995 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Owen Magic also makes a Rapping Hand they call "Dr. Q Spirit Hand" here:
http://www.owenmagic.com/Spirit___Mental......tal.html

It looks a lot like that India model.

-------------------------------------------------------

Sean-Paul, if you tell the members 'what you are looking for', you may get a better answer. Unless of course your answer is, I'll know it when I see it. The Owen is fashioned after the classic model. Are you looking for something you have seen or you have an image in your mind you are looking for in the market place.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Paul_Rheaume
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Paul_Rheaume
What about using a small doll hand and a glorpy to activate it?
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Special user
989 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
Probably on of the best rapping hands around is from Dominico Dante of Italy. This hand can be examined, placed on a clear plexiglass sheet, yet on your command raps.

This is electronic...all electronics are cleverly hidden inside of hand/arm, it is remote operated.

Unfortunately it is a fairly high priced item.

Chuck
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Jun 25, 2014, Paul_Rheaume wrote:

Brilliant!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21995 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Looks like Fantasma Magic already did the glorpy hand thing.
http://www.abbottmagic.com/Wishcraft-For......oryId=-1 Abbott's is giving a free Glorpy with each purchase for a reason.

The India Model Spirit Hand:
http://themagicwarehouse.com/TA5274/Spirit-Hand.html For $36 looks like a good place to start with improving it.

Abbott's is selling the download to their Rapping Hand Patter presentation for only $4.
http://www.abbottmagic.com/Instant-Instr......oryId=-1
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
blamobox
View Profile
New user
A shed in Somerset England
52 Posts

Profile of blamobox
Quote:
On Jun 25, 2014, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 25, 2014, Paul_Rheaume wrote:

Brilliant!

Unfortunately, Glorpy is retired these days.
He now resides in a Topit in Ipswich, England.
Time Ticks Away Like a Peanut............
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Rapping hand plans (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL