The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Yet another holdout thread (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
747 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
Hi all:

I hesitate posting this because there are so many threads and questions on the various hold-outs out there.

After searching the archives, I think I have a little better idea of which way to go - but it still boils down to an educated stab in the dark.

It seems like the only way to find the best holdout for "you" is to read some opinions and start buying. For those of you that use one, do you recommend (as I've seen some do) to make your own Miller holdout for a couple of bucks, learn on that, and go from there? My concern with that route is that the holdout will be clumsy (as I've also read), so I won't really get a good idea of how nice it could be. Do I then make the plunge to a more expensive one, hoping it will solve the problems? Maybe the new one would work great and I would be done with my search; maybe the improvement is very minor for the cost I paid and I feel it wasn't worth it. Now do I continue on to the next purchase to see if there's a better one, or decide that there will always be problems so it doesn't really matter which one I use?

I guess it just looks like a relatively expensive road of trial (buying) and error that I don't associate with most magic purchases. (Usually I know what the effect is, if it's appealing to me, and reviews tell me if it's something that I'd use or not. Also, there's generally not 10 or so similar effects to choose from.) Is my thinking right or am I missing something? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1168 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
I am afraid you are right. I am looking (for years) for a good holdout and still I cannot decide which one I would purchase. All depends naturaly for WHAT you need the holdout. I don't think there is an holdout that is perfect for everything.
I would love to have one to let dissapear or appear a playing card. I have not find one yet. Holdouts for coins are far easier to find.
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
747 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
Thanks Water for your input.
Siddharta
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Siddharta
I am looking for a way to get access to small gimmicks and to get rid of them and to do a deck switch. I guess a holdout is maybe not what I need but maybe I should go for some kind of toppit ? Any idea is greatly appreciated.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1168 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On 2010-03-14 08:58, Siddharta wrote:
....and to do a deck switch.

A full deckswitch is a little to much to ask from a holdout I think.
A toppit and a deck in the sleeve would be more of use here.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21686 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There are basically 2 types of Holdouts, a Gamblers old out that is a very extreme mechanical device that is worn and the Jack Miller type Holdout used for magical purposes.

The real question is will you wear it every day. I mean, will you get up in the morning and put it on like you do your pants. It take total dedication to use the Holdout and Topit. It will become a part of you in your everyday life.

Most people will not make the commitment to this type of accessory. Those that do, make a name for themselves, and make you wish you could do miracles like you witnessed.

Next do you like to wear proper clothing every day. For the device to work properly, it will require a clothing style that is no longer popular with men today. Just wearing a shirt over a tee shirt will only give more headaches then it is worth and the Oversize cloths will create problems as well.

It is like buying an stage trick. Example: You can buy a Zombie Floating Ball, then you need a table to rest it on, background music, lots of rehearsal, and portable curtains. All this for a very inexpensive trick.

The same is true for Holdouts and Topits, a men's casual dress sport jacket should be worn. When Topits and Holdouts were invented most the population of men wore suits, even if they were labor workers, they would change cloths when they got to work and again when they went home.

The real question is how much of a commitment do you want to make the total effect.

Hope this helps in your decision making process.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
747 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
Thanks for the thoughts WM.

Anytime I'm paid to perform, I wear a suit. So I don't think that would be a problem. I'm willing to put in the time to get it looking good, I was more concerned with the myriad of expensive choices out there. Thanks!
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5263 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Cohiba, try frequenting a local magic shop. Chances are the proprietor has a couple or at least has access to some. He/she most likely won't show you any until they know you and that you are a serious magic practitioner.

Also magic shops and clubs often have at least a few members who have such equipment and again once they get to know you will probably have no problem showing you the apparatus and giving you the rundown on how it works.

Good luck!

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Yet another holdout thread (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL