The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Miracle Rope (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Right two different effects. Hegbli is thinking of the sliding knot of Paul Curry, which Doug needed two assistants to hold the rope.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Oh. I see. Thanks for the clarification. I remember watching that particular special, too. The effect wowed me at the time! Anyway, the one that I'm citing was with Bruce Jenner and Cherish Alexander. Doug did a routine where he showed several versions of the c&r rope, including Houdini, Chung Ling Soo (sp??) and finally himself.

I think the broadcast date on that was 2-14-82, but my memory may be off on that part. It also had Billy Crystal, Anne Jillian, and Orson Wells,...

Anyway, I simply couldn't resist that slow down and stop feature of my VCR. Smile
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
I remember Bill Cosby performing it on Doug Hennings special long ago...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Thanks Joseph
What a shame it's a still.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I've reviewed the description of this effect in Stewart James's Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks (as edited by Gabe Fajuri; Squash Publishing Edition.)

And I was sufficiently impressed by this discussion to order what is available from Abbott's. Haven't received anything yet.

I'm wondering how experienced workers here think that the Neff effect compares with "Jack Miller's Sensational Rope Cut," as described in Ed Mishell's booklet on Hold-Out Miracles (Tannen, 1976).

Thanks.

Woland
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
I'll check on that Neff effect and see what the hold up is.
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Thanks, magicgettogether, I don't think there was any hold-up, and I was not complaining about delivery time, I was just stating that I thought enough of the effect to order what is available, but that I couldn't comment on it because I hadn't yet seen it. I have now received the effect, with the original instructions and 2 ropes, along with the gimmick. And you get a free gift too.

Although the Stewart encyclopedia reproduces the instructions almost entirely, I think that the photographs in the original are helpful, as is handling the materials.

I am going to practice this effect, and then I will discuss it in relation to the Jack Miller version of the C&R rope. But I will probably take that over to "Secret Sessions."

Woland
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Which is where this should be- good idea!
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
For a little bit of Bill Neff history and for Bill Neff afficiandos, Here's a link to Greg Bordner, President of Abbott's reminiscing about the illusions his dad, Recil, made for Bill neff, and also some information about "Pleasant Nightmares" a book about Bill Neff and his magic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq8SKG3XeNM
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2010-09-21 07:08, Woland wrote:
...I'm wondering how experienced workers here think that the Neff effect compares with "Jack Miller's Sensational Rope Cut," as described in Ed Mishell's booklet on Hold-Out Miracles (Tannen, 1976).

I first did the Jack Miller version in 1977. It's the one I've done since. It has no "moves", is instant, and, if you use the Hold-Out correctly, indetectible. You DO have to wear a jacket, and that's why I didn't do it much when I was in Florida.

Really, that's the whole reason I constructed the Hold-Out in the first place. I believe the Neff effect needs quite a bit of practice, and the "knack", if you know what I mean. I was ready to go with the Jack Miller version, almost as soon as I completed constructing the Hold-Out.

You need to follow the Ed Mishell book instructions to build the Hold-Out to fit you. That's the only drawback.

Doug
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Doug,

I've only just received the materials on the Bill Neff effect, so I have not learned how to do it practically, nor practiced it. I am going to start a thread in Secret Sessions when I do. At this point, I think it has at least the same "drawback" you decribe for the Jack Miller effect.

I agree that the Jack Miller effect is instant and astonishing.

Woland
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Woland
I'm also going to do some reading up on this trick, and I look forward to reading your ideas obout it in the secret sessions. A demo video would be asking too much, but I do look forward to reading your thoughts on this trick.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Al,

I'd be delighted to make a demo video, if I can figure out how to do it, and post it, without making it available to the general public. I don't think you will find my performances very enlightening, but I am sure that I would find your critique very educational and inspiring.

Woland
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Woland
I'm so glad you brought that up, I am going to post some personal material up on my web site soon, because I want to be selective who I share it with. Plus much of my web site serves as my resume where my best stuff should be displayed.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2010-09-24 12:47, Woland wrote:
Al,

I'd be delighted to make a demo video, if I can figure out how to do it, and post it, without making it available to the general public.

Woland

Youtube has a great feature. I just posted a clip about silk in balloon, and you can do two things. One, make it private and only specific e-mail accounts can view it. Or, the other option is not to make it searchable or indexed.
It doesn't show up in random searches or along side of comparable clips. The only people who view it are those who receive the link.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Al-

Thanks for a great tip!

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
In my humble opinion, the Robert Harbin cut and restored rope is superior to the Bill Neff version because it is simpler and can be performed in the hands of spectators who hold the ends of the rope. I described my own version of the Harbin C&R in a certain Journal that I'm not supposed to mention, and it can be seen on Vimeo being performed by my North Carolina Wiz Kids who are all wearing short sleeve shirts: https://vimeo.com/145756046 There's no need to pass the rope for examination when it is in the hands of the spectators all along.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2010, joseph wrote:
I remember Bill Cosby performing it on Doug Hennings special long ago...

I just dropped in here, looking for something else.

Sorry Joseph! Bill Cosby was on Doug's FIRST SPECIAL in '75. They (Bill & Doug did Gen Grant's "Perfect" C&R rope. Grant first published it in 1938) I think that Joe Karson "RE-invented it, ten years later, as I have an instruction sheet on it, dated 1948. Joe called it the "50 50 Rope Trick.

In both cases. the hand drawn mimeographed sheets are almost identical. It involved two equal lengths of rope, and a bit of "manipulation".
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
P.S. I also have the original mimeographed instruction sheet from Gen. Grant (it has 1938 printed on it).

BTW, it's a very practical method. There is NOTHING to set up, and, as I mentioned, in my book, many magicians, who hadn't "done their homework" were fooled by it! Gen. Grant was a VERY CLEVER magician!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Miracle Rope (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL