The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Patter for OOTW ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicRocks
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of MagicRocks
I am wondering how to modify my patter to fit Out of This World in such a way that it seems I am influencing the spectator which pile to put on. I want to make it seems like some sort of mentalism trick. Any help offered will be appreciated.
AlexanderY
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of AlexanderY
Perhaps you can talk about body language and social forces causing compelling people to behave in certain ways? You can then quote several psychological studies of Asch's conformity study.

Heres the wikipedia link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asch_conformity_experiments
MagicRocks
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of MagicRocks
Thanks. But what I mean is not the patter at the start of the trick. What I mean is the patter when the spectator is dealing the cards so that they think I am influencing them.
AlexanderY
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of AlexanderY
I see. What I used to do was to comment on every choice (whether red or black) and pseudo explain how my actions made them choose the pile.

For example, I may place my hand over the black pile and if they say black, I would say that it was my hand that suggests to them black. If they said red instead, I would then say that I made say red because I so obviously hinted black and that it was a double bluff.

This patter can get some laughs if your explanation is inconsistent.

But after a while I found that to be alittle too draggy, so I do that pseudo explanation for only a couple of piles, and then I just deal them as they call out the colour.

Hope that helps!
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Check out the mentalism sections of the Café - a number of us have been talking about non-playing card effects that use OOTW. You will get a number of ideas on making this more of a mentalism effect.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Hello:

The solution is to decide up front the supposed justification that you will use in making the assistant think that they have been directly influenced by 'you' in their selection.

Are you doing it by subliminal suggestion? Are you actively controlling their mind via some form of esp? For instance you could patter that during the time that 'they' are deciding what is the color of a particular card....'you' are in fact clouding their mind in such a way that no matter what they 'say' you will place the card in the correct spot making it appear that 'they' somehow knew....etc.

I'm not particularly suggesting the above as, frankly, it's a little obtuse and confusing, but it illustrates that you can 'twist' the basic premise around in many differing ways.

The easiest to follow and the most direct would be to suggest that as 'you' look at the card you will project (Via whatever power YOU select) the color of the card to the spectator. Simple and easy to understand by all watching. The finale is your confirmation of the original affirmation, etc.

You could also 'suggest' that via body language and subtle manipulations ala the Mentalist on T.V., you will cause you helper to make the correct choice in ever instance. In fact I believe that this is the stronger of the two and probably would prove the 'creepier' of the suggestions so far. Think back if you are old enough to the furor over the use of 'subliminal' messages at movie theatres. Even if it didn't happen the thought of being affected against our will by some outside influence is uniquely disturbing.

In essence all patter concepts will spring naturally from whatever beginning premise you select. Define the premise and you will have any number of logical paths to take to it's fulfillment. Good luck,
Brad Burt
bicycle66
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of bicycle66
I would look at some of Darren Browns explainations for some of his routines. His OOTW wasn't the type you are looking for it was just quick to the point in his Devils Picturebook but he has a way with the gab for most other routines that you could get ideas from.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Patter for OOTW ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL