The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk Ball (a la, Hank Ball) holder ideas? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
I am interested in ideas and experiences on a holder which can be used to keep a silk that has a loop tied into one corner secured.

This is the tricky part.

The silk is accordion folded, then rolled from the corner opposite the loop, which eventuates in the loop being on the outside of the roll, and that loop is then tucked into the middle of the roll, which creates a rolled silk which hangs from a loop.

I am looking to secure this on the inside of the lapel. The difficulty lies in the fact that when attempting to make the steal with a simple cotton pocket, a loose one, the loop end is simply pulled out of the rolled silk. I was looking for suggestions one might have to create a gimmick which will keep the silk where I need it, but provide no friction when the steal is made, so the silk does not unroll upon the steal.

I appreciate the efforts.

D~
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Tony Clark has a gimmick with a misnamed title of "Silk Dropper" that might work for you. I believe he might have a link to his website on the Magic Café.

You might want to rethink the material for the pocket; maybe using silk for the pocket to cut down friction.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Never overlook the value of a bobby pin. (They even come in colors!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Hello, guys, and thank you.

I believe I know the 'Silk Dropper' you're referring to, and I'll look into it.

Regards.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Many professional say they use a straight pin. Stick it through from the inside of the coat behind the lapel into the silk bundle. You may also have to lightly stitch the lapel down.

The end of the silk with loop will not pull out if you roll and prepare the silk tightly. Although, with the pin, a fast snapping production will appear instantly.

Channing Pollack stole and loaded the silk onto the fingers. This method would use a steal from some other place. Acting, gesturing, and timing is important to this type of production.
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Bill, the idea I am working with is one from Channing. However, it is described that he would use this production as an opener, so the roll was already palmed. I have thought of a simple pin running through the silk, and I will play with this.

Good day.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Just because Channing Pollack may have had the silk already palmed, does not mean you have to use it as an opener. It can be stolen at any time to facilitate the effect. The loading will be the same after the steal.
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
462 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
Most magicians who use that production would steal the silk with left hand, loop hanging down. You might also try to steal it from your breast pocket. Make a metal insert for your pocket that will keep pocket opened, and there will be almost no friction.
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Good idea, Bojan. Thanks, everyone, for the responses.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Idea: Use my Egg Dropper but fold it in half. (I have a friend that uses that way with a dye tube.)

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=54&21

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk Ball (a la, Hank Ball) holder ideas? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL