The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Questions about Geneva Pocket Watch (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
StPaulMagician222
View Profile
Regular user
Saint Paul, MN (Cathedral Hill)
104 Posts

Profile of StPaulMagician222
Questions about Geneva Pocket Watch

I need to replace a pocket watch in a bizarre routine. It concerns pr***ts as the climax of the routine is 11:18 PM. (My understanding is that there are 13) I also have 3 people handle the watch during the routine. The first 2 simply spin the stem and open the watch to assure we are arriving at a random time and the 3rd just spins the stem and places it on a stand for the rest of the story and climax. Can this be done without me handling it or is a reset needed between spectators? You might recognize this effect from "SEANCE" but I have completely changed the story line. In the past I have used a modified Bobo and a 180' turn to achieve this BUT would like it to be more clean and hands off as I work in the round and 'believe' I have been 'burned' by audience members more than once with the typical setup.

Question #2 concerns the weight of the watch as it needs to appear to be from the late 20's and I strive for authenticity. #3- Is this is a wind-up item or battery driven Item and will it function as intended if I remove the battery as the watch in the routine stopped running years ago. I have read through the 'forum search function' that the mechanic's are much simpler than my "Time Machine WW"

My approach to the Magic boards has been rather Zen, I lost my old account when I switched computers and was no longer able to automatically logged in. I had an old AOL address when I signed up and was unable to retrieve my password so I am starting over with posting. I have been involved in our craft for 30+ years and don't find a need to make multiple irrelevant posts just to gain access to the Secret and For Sale sections on this board. Also my taste in magic has also narrowed down from my full time 'Illusion Show' to doing part time "Psychic Home Parties" and Fundraising events. (Any one else eagerly awaiting on pins and needles for your "Spiritus Magnus" from OUTLAW? I know I am!)

Please PM me if you are willing to help me with my questions or even if you might have a GW sitting in the back of your magic drawer you might be willing to sell at a deal to a good home. Thanks!
"One can't believe in Impossible things" said Alice.
"I dare say" said the Queen, "Why when I was your age I believed more than 6 impossible things before breakfast.
-Thru the Looking Glass- L.E. Carol
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1892 Posts

Profile of chmara
Last time I looked the Geneva watch had the "Quartz" designation on the fave -- definitely not the 1920s.

Rick Thomas has an original watch listed here that does what you want -- but it is worth the $3000 he is asking.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3796 Posts

Profile of The Curator
I've the original first edition watch and use it for years. From some distance it may look like it's from the 1920's but ant expert will immediately disagree with that statement at close range. In my own routine, I use it in conjunction with an authentic 1920's watch and it doesn't matter if the Geneva watch is old or new. The watch works on a battery but it doesn't really matter in this case. But, you won't be able to let people handle the watch exactly the way you described it. But you can easily resolve that "small problem" by changing the presentation.
It's a wonderful item, very practical and worth the money.
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2115 Posts

Profile of RCP
Chmaara, you must mean a Stull for $3000?
StPaulMagician222
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Thank you guys for your responses and I do appreciate your Idea Mr. Chelman; you got my wheels spinning again, I appreciate the jump-start and your example as a perfectionist of our craft.

It is really great to have this online community at our fingertips and the generosity and collected knowledge of it's users.

Actually- George R from Collector's Workshop sent me an e-mail that answered all my questions very directly. In this day and age my mind went off in completely different direction while considering this effect. -(Which for a Mage is a 'Wonderful Thing' as I know my Victims..umm....I mean Spectators would never suspect such direct ingenuity, simplicity and craftsmanship). The price keeps it out of the hands of the merely curious.

I now see that this effect is strong enough as a stand alone- So I certainly can tweak my presentation a bit and bring the story line into perhaps the 70's or 80's to account for the newness of the watch. This Quest brought a big smile to my face today and mentally back to an era when quality made magic was a mainstay.

The Geneva will work just fine for exactly what I 'NOW' need it for. It was I that needed to 'change' after all. <Big Grin>.

We are so fortunate in the era we live to have places like CW and Outlaw and Others that push our ART to the limits of perfection with their creations. (As well as the personal service they provide.) It frees us up as Creators of Mystery and Surprise to simply spend our time to breathing Life into our own 'Possible- Impossibilities'. <(That's the name of my 2010 show; so don't rip it off -<smirk>)

I'll stop before I get too abstract and gushy. Thanks again to everyone who responded to me.

Click here to view attached image.
"I dare say" said the Queen, "Why when I was your age I believed more than 6 impossible things before breakfast.
jsilk7
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of jsilk7
Meir Yedid sells THE SEE-THRU GENEVA PREDICTION WATCH. I think it might be what you are looking for. It looks like an old watch from the 1920's, It is a wind up watch, and you do not have to touch it until the end. You have to open it. But it can be handed out. and the price is $450.00 I'm very happy with mine.

http://mymagic.com/silkie.htm

Click here to view attached image.
JonWhite
View Profile
Loyal user
London
284 Posts

Profile of JonWhite
Hi jsilk7.

The see-thru watch looks great, but I'm curious as to what the writing at 6-o-clock says?

Thanks.
jsilk7
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of jsilk7
The words at 6:00 are

Charles-Hubert
Paris
StPaulMagician222
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

I have been told that there are issues with the 'See through Watch' as the quality and one real important difference in handling is not the same as the original. The performer needs to keeps a tighter control of prop management as it is not as hands off as far as the performer is concerned. It does look like a pretty idea however. If you look you will see that it is not available anywhere in the Collector's Workshop Catalog. For that reason I decided to stay with the original Geneva.

With my original routine I always felt a little guilty for taking the watch back after I had gone through the set-up with spectators -something I got over but still never felt completely comfortable with it. Then a very good friend made a off handed comment to me after a performance which was hit me hard like a Zen Masters stick and shattered my confidence, so I removed it from my program (thinking I was somehow still telegraphing my guilt) -until I could figure out a fix or ploy I felt comfortable with.

This is where the Magic Café comes in and why it has become such an important resource to me with the 'search function' and being able to communicate in our own abstract language with terms the laymen scouting this site may find hard to understand. They also have to be pretty curious to go through all that is available here. I find this site almost overwhelming. I enjoy how 'searches' bring you into new territory and off on tangents that are very enjoyable and a lot of time it brings me to information that I really should be working on, looking at or applying to my own performances by inspiring new idea's and offering such wide points of view. At times it feels like I have contacted an Oracle just for magicians as something very relevant seems to come up that I be thinking about or need to be working on that has nothing to do with my original search.

Well, I found the information to fix my routine and make it a much better and cleaner as well as a brainstorm of new idea's and presentation angles to expand how I can use this effect in more situations than I had originally felt comfortable with.

It's not what you do, it's the way that you do it!
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3796 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
On 2010-03-08 13:53, StPaulMagician222 wrote:

With my original routine I always felt a little guilty for taking the watch back after I had gone through the set-up with spectators -something I got over but still never felt completely comfortable with it.

If there's a chain attached to your watch AND you coat, you must take the watch back if you move... Be logic.
JonWhite
View Profile
Loyal user
London
284 Posts

Profile of JonWhite
Quote:
On 2010-03-08 09:05, jsilk7 wrote:
The words at 6:00 are

Charles-Hubert
Paris

Thanks Jsilk. Nothing to tie it to a specific timeframe..

(nonetheless, the handling difference compared to the original is steering me that way when pennies permit)
sillymagician
View Profile
New user
Long Island, New York
25 Posts

Profile of sillymagician
I have the See-Thru Geneva. I can assure you quality is not an issue... It looks terrific, keeps good time, you can see the movement and the gimmick works great. Other than the handling for revelation there really are no "issues." Yes, you do have to open the watch for the revelation, but that is really not a problem. Depending on the presentation, I've left the watch attached to my body so it makes sense to take it back, but mostly I just let the spectator hold it chain and all, then I open it and show the time. Because so many people are unfamiliar with pocket watches, it makes sense to take it back to open it. Most people, especially women, have no idea how to open it anyway. There is a great review of the See-Thru Geneva at this website: http://www.martinsmagic.com/?nd=reviews&search_realsku=3476
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3796 Posts

Profile of The Curator
As I told before, I use the GPW in my Curse of the Pharaos'routine. The watch doesn't need to be old in the routine, but I did add a nice Ram Head (from the Met museum shop) pendant to the golden chain.
It gives a nice look and fits my Curator character.

http://www.metmuseum.org/works_of_art/co......00004574
StPaulMagician222
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

I actually received my GW from Collector's on Friday. It is very beautiful and much nicer than the other pocket watch(s) that I used in this routine previously. It also will work much better than before as now all is in the open and I do not need to resort to the "Bobo" to achieve my lofty aims. In fact it seems almost to pretty to age it. Now I can just confidently concentrate on the presentation without thinking about using any sleights and can revive this routine again. I found George and Connie Robinson such nice people to deal with and am so happy that I received a QUALITY Product from them.

SPRING is right around the corner and things are warming up here in Saint Paul! It was such a Bitter Winter
and my little budgie Buster is singing his little heart out!

As perfection is approached, it recedes........
Amazin Doug
View Profile
New user
Arkansas
46 Posts

Profile of Amazin Doug
Quote:
On 2010-03-15 07:13, StPaulMagician222 wrote:
...I found George and Connie Robinson such nice people to deal with and am so happy that I received a QUALITY Product from them.

Nitpicky point: George and Carol Robinson. (Unless there are recent developments of which I am unaware...)
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a Geneva Watch at Viking Magic, and I would like to read more opinions about that item. Are things really going nice, for owners of this watch ? Thanks.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5189 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
The Geneva Watch has been a staple in Viking's catalogue for awhile, and I've heard nothing but good things.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2017, Wizard of Oz wrote:
The Geneva Watch has been a staple in Viking's catalogue for awhile, and I've heard nothing but good things.

Yeah, I'm confident that CW only brings out quality items. I'm just a little bit sad that there aren't many reviews on that product. On the other hand, you see many, many reviews and opinions on the Perfect Time. I received one recently, but it needs a new battery (already dead). And I'm planning to purchase this one, the Geneva, as well. But would like to see more reviews. Unfortunately, it seems people are not interested in this watch, compared to the successful Perfect Time.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5189 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Interesting points. Perhaps due to time and timeliness? The Geneva Watch was put out when pocket watches were still known. I remember as a teen in the early '80's sporting a pocket watch in high school just to generate interest, and kids knew what it was. Probably not so much now.

People now mostly tell the time via their phones or other portable devices, and maybe a watch, as those are still popular with fogies like me and hipsters. But a pocket watch? Maybe not so much. It almost needs to be presented as antiquated object with a backstory, and a reason why you are using it. Perhaps that's affected sales and popularity? I don't know. That's just me, just guessing.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3322 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
I own this and can confirm it is a beautifully made piece. It requires a good story or presentation but there are many avenues to pursue for that. If you purchase it also buy the seperate Jeff Sheridan routine for it that they sell... It is very good.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Questions about Geneva Pocket Watch (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL