The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Questions about Geneva Pocket Watch (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Thanks both of you.

Indeed, people use phones, but sometimes wear a wristwatch as well, and a pocket watch is unusual today. On the other hand, I'm also wondering if it's not just because they don't find the effect quite attractive, compared to Perfect Time.

Indeed, one needs a good presentation for this. But I think it's a good thing that people are curious about the watch. It draws attention and elicits interest in it. Yes, it would come with Sheridan's routine, if purchased at Viking Magic, and I will place the order within a few hours, probably. Reason I want to purchase it is because I came up with lot of ideas already. One involves using Out to Lunch effect. I make one spectator writes their name below the band (above the band is the written time on the force side of the watch). I remove the card, put it face down on the table. After he turned the stem, I reveal the time, and he concentrates on the time he sees on the watch, and turn the card over. This way, I can draw their attention away from the watch (my idea is more complex than what I've just described since I was planning to use spectator's watch eventually, and a peek, i.e., someone writes his thought of time, I peek the information, and writes in a piece of paper that the time set on the watch will be off by xx hours and xx minutes). Like Perfect Time, the effect is so impossible that people are tempted to believe the watch is "special".
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5189 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
You can talk about the hipster craze, and how they are bringing back old-timey ways and habits, e.g. shaving with a straight razor, pipe smoking, over-groomed beards and mustaches etc. Then talk about how you began carrying around you great grandfather's pocket watch...spin it into a bit of a ghost story from there.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Thanks Wizard. Indeed, since the watch is quite unusual, such that why people will want to look at it, so why not capitalizing on this aspect ?

I have already ordered the Geneva watch by the way.

However, a moment ago, I came across a french forum, Virtual Magie, which I am very familiar, and one guy, a mentalist, has purchased the Geneva in a reputable french dealer for 490 euros. It was in 2013, but he said the watch appears to be a cheap made-in-China item. Bad quality item. And the mechanism is so bad that you have to be very careful when you give it to the spectator so that he turns the stem, or the secret is revealed.

I hope this is not what I will feel about the watch. I paid 450 dollars (+26 for shipping). But we will see. I'm not necessarily worried since it's the only negative comment I've heard about it, but still, it's not something I can easily ignore.
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1214 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Please keep us posted! I hate to benefit from the bad experience of another, but have been contemplating ordering one myself.
Marc
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5189 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
If he was in France, he may not have had access to the Viking/Collectors Workshop site...or at least not the REAL one. I would imagine there are a lot knock-offs of this item, but the genuine watch from the geniune makers, is awesome.

Did you order from here: https://www.vikingmagic.com/product/gene......-numbers ? If so, you should be just fine.
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Wizard of Oz,

Yes, I ordered it directly from Viking Magic, which, to me, should be the right thing to do. Since that's a lot of money, I have to get the item directly from the creator himself. Even if the item is available in some reputable dealers.

mcharisse,

Hey, funny your name is Marc, that's also my name (my initials being M.H., so...). No problem, I will do a review anyway. I'm just hoping I'm not doing too much. I have purchased Perfect Time recently, and now it's Geneva. And I kept thinking that in the near future, I may want to get the Phoenix Watch, from Viking. I love watches, wristwatches or pocket watches, but hell, the investment for all three items will exceed 1000 dollars.
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1214 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
MH,
Thanks for the reply. Perhaps you are the person I should be talking to in general. I recently developed an Americal Civil War magician act and aquried a watch chain as part of the attire. Now of course I want a watch to go with it, ideally a magic watch, but I will be using this so the last thing I need is something cheap looking, fragile or unreliable. I don't know how the Geneva works, but reading between the lines in this thread, sounds like it could be simple and reliable. Also looking for recommendations on pocket watches and watch magic. I was surprised to find only one watch trick in the Tarbell index!
Marc
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2017, Wizard of Oz wrote:
You can talk about the hipster craze, and how they are bringing back old-timey ways and habits, e.g. shaving with a straight razor, pipe smoking, over-groomed beards and mustaches etc. Then talk about how you began carrying around you great grandfather's pocket watch...spin it into a bit of a ghost story from there.

It is a natural reaction to too-much tech.... and if you watch the TV show Westworld, its very much a metaphor in your face kind of thing. I've been wearing a pocket watch for years when the setting allows... and I love vests....

I do have a straight razor too - usually I use a safety razor - but once every few months, I use the straight, with the whole ritual of the stropping etc.... its more than hipster stuff.... the shaving actually will make you think of life and death, pleasure and risk, and many things.... oh, I don't smoke, so no pipes for me! I've had the facial hair since I have been a fan of Dr. Strange and Dr. Spektor comics when I was a kid.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Ok guys,

I've received the Geneva Watch today. The one I have looks exactly liks this one here :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANvlPKLfC18

And not like the one shown in photo in Viking Magic's website. It's unfortunate because the gold-tone one I have screams more gimmick. Maybe it's just me.

First, the watch looks incredibly cheap, which is extremely disappointed given that I've paid 450 dollars. Of course, I'm not just paying for a functioning watch, but also for an effect. And it does what it claims it does. Thanks to George Robinson, I knew what the basic routine was and its main function/method before I placed my order. Jeff Sheridan's routines are quite nice, much better than the main routine, and probably will not let people think the watch is related to the effect. In fact, the reason I've purchased it is because I've imagined many routines that I thought are pretty good. Indeed, it wasn't the main effect proposed by Viking that made me purchased it. Anyway, I'm very happy to find out that I will be using some of Sheridan's ideas. Some routines (notably his Triple Prediction) are even excellent for stage.

There is no brand on the watch. When you look at the face the brand is "CW" which stands for Collector's Workshop, and it's what is written on the bottom of the face.

Another minus, it's the problem encountered by eSamuels.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=37

If my understanding is correct, he says that the cover can easily pops open even when you close it. That happened to me quite often when I first tried it, but now I understand how to avoid that. It took me a while to understand. But it's still disappointing, given its price.

I'm pretty sure I will not end up selling it, and that I will use it quite often, as with my Perfect Time (which also looks extremely cheap - my parents who didn't know it was a gimmicked watch thought I paid 10 or 20 euros for it when I asked them about it).

So, how does it work, it's difficult to say without exposing anything here. If you want to know the details, PM me, and I will send you a video I've just recorded. But here, I will just say that you can do what it says. That is, you can give the watch to the spectator, without them discovering the secret. When you give the watch to a spectator, tell him to turn the stem but not push it in, or it will reveal the gimmicked part of the watch. I'm not saying they can't see the gimmicked part, but the problem is if their memory of the sides is very fresh. In fact, with good handling (explained in my video although you may easily figure it out yourself) there should be no problem. If the cover pops open, they will not immediately look at the face of the watch, since they understand it's part of the routine. If they accidentally open the cover, tell them to close it firmly.

Unlike what many people say about Geneva, you can (sort of) do the main effect of Perfect Time. That was Sheridan's first routine "No Force, Do As I Do". Which is very good. When you exchange the watches, you say that you will set a time on spectator's watch, while he does the same with your Geneva Watch. He memorizes the time he sets, and you (pretend to) do the same. You have your watch back, with cover closed, and you give him his watch, facing down. You ask him to erase your time by turning the stem, and you (pretend to) do the same with your Geneva watch. Now you show him the gimmicked part of the watch, and as he sees the time is different he believes you actually couldn't peek the information. Now you ask him to set his own watch to his selected time, and you (pretend to) do the same. He turns the stem and you (pretend to) do the same. You reveal the time on the Geneva watch, and it matches his thought of time.

To be honest, that's probably the routine that I will be using the most, among all the routines that Sheridan shared in his booklet (there aren't many, which is my only regret).

In general, a product highly recommended. Unless having a top-grade watch is a requirement for you, I don't think you will be disappointed by this Geneva. That's so good. Of course, you know I haven't tried it yet on people, but I'm sure it will fry them.

I have imagined many effects using the concept of time, and I will use PT and Geneva for these routines. Eventually, I will let you know what the reactions are, after several performances. I can't wait to use it.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5189 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Mh1001, I don't own the watch but have heard good reviews as per my previous comments. Curious...what is it that bothers you about the physical properties of the watch itself? Too shiny? Too light in weight? Not worn enough?

The reason why I'm asking is that the object in and of itself is unusual. It is a piece of history, like a skeleton key. Like a kerosene lamp. It is unique in and of itself. You can present it as a carefully preserved artifact, or an heirloom which has been delicately "watched" over. (Stupid pun. Sorry).

Of course, if we are speaking about a cheap-looking watch of inexpensively-plated metal, than that is a whole different ball of wax. Please let us know.

I for one wholeheartedly believe in what Viking and CW are promoting. I really hope that is what/is being delivered. Please give us more detail.
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Wizard, I am thinking about presenting it as a preserved artifact, although I don't want them to focus too much on that object. I only want to show them that I have some reasons to have this with me. Only a brief introduction of the watch. I may say something like "that watch I have here, from my grand dad, is still working after all this time, it keeps time, and time seems to have no effect on it, like my grand dad who is still riding a bike at 86 yrs old".

The watch is very shiny, of course. It bothers me a little bit, but not too much. I think my ideas are strong enough, and I'm sure people won't even suspect the watch. But who knows. I can also try to "age" the watch a little bit. I'll try to search on the internet later, and see if there is a solution. That will help to illustrate my little story about it, if the watch looks worn and old.

Quote:
On Mar 21, 2017, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Of course, if we are speaking about a cheap-looking watch of inexpensively-plated metal, than that is a whole different ball of wax. Please let us know.

In fact, that's the problem. It's the impression I have. I got the feeling the materials are of low quality. Same thing with my Perfect Time. When my parents said "I don't know... 10 euros ?" that killed me. And the reason I asked them is because I had the feeling the watch is cheap. I do not know how much it costs them to produce these watches. I only know that they look cheap. Both PT and Geneva.

That being said, it does what it says it does, so as a magical tool, it's a wonder.
Delimbeau
View Profile
Elite user
May the magic be with you
468 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
I'm using a genuine old silver chain instead of the enclosed gold-coloured chain. That reduces the 'new' look. And for the gold watch, well, it looks like ... gold... If you handle it and residu from your hands gets stuck to the watch, I think it looks fine.
Delimbeau
View Profile
Elite user
May the magic be with you
468 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Thanks for posting this photo. I will find a way to make mine look old, like yours. By the way, for those who want to know that, I got confirmation from George Robinson that the Geneva is made by Charles Hubert, so that explains why the watch is expensive. Glad to know that.
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
Is putting the workings in an actual hunters case of the correct size and vintage an option? Bay often has this style of watch that are for parts only but the case is in good shape.
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
I'm not sure what your question is. Kind of confusing. If you ask whether one could change the cover of that gimmicked watch (Geneva Watch is a double hunter case) assuming the cover is of same size, I guess one could. The gimmick is not related to the cover. But you should keep in mind that one side opens when you push the stem in, and the other is opened by pressing your thumbnail into the slight nail-nick in the cover. So the two covers are not exactly the same.
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Since the Geneva prop is a quartz movement and is shown on the watch faces, and if the performer wants to use it as an older piece, my question is can the faces be replaced so as to remove the "quartz" from the face plates. Yes there are two , but it is not that hard to find vintage windup face plates. The same case would be used as well as all other parts.
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2115 Posts

Profile of RCP
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2017, Peter McMillan wrote:
Since the Geneva prop is a quartz movement and is shown on the watch faces, and if the performer wants to use it as an older piece, my question is can the faces be replaced so as to remove the "quartz" from the face plates. Yes there are two , but it is not that hard to find vintage windup face plates. The same case would be used as well as all other parts.

The word quartz does not appear on the face of the newer watches. There are the visible initials CW in script below the 12 and the almost impossible to see words Collectors Workshop between the 5- 6- 7 numbers. The fact that it is a quartz movement is irrelevant to the workings of the watch.
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

That being the case, as you write, the prop could be introduced as a product from the turn of the 20th century.

My intent is to show it as an item used by my Uncle Ossie, A watch that he bought in 1903, and later found has some peculiar characteristics that manifest during his experiments of contact thru the vail.

Thus the concern for the word quartz on the face. The case would be easily worn to look the part.

Thank you all for your input. Smile
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Thanks for clarifying. So, if your goal is to only change the face plate, I guess it's possible. I think, because I never disassembled my watch. However I can say that the gimmick will work even if you change the face.

In fact, what's pretty cool with this pocket watch (which I love) is that even if your battery is dead and needs to be changed, the gimmick still works, as it's unrelated to the battery (for instance, Perfect Time wristwatch won't work if the battery is dead).

And if someone's presentation relies on a broken watch, you can even remove the battery and show that the time isn't changing as the spectator holds it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Questions about Geneva Pocket Watch (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL