The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » New here, seeking coincidences (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ealexm
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of ealexm
Looks like a great site. Hello all.

I am a Martin Gardner fan and I like to invent my own effects.

My current thing is "facilitating" coincidences and I am looking for several such effects that might be included in such a routine. Most predictions can be presented as coincidences too.
"The universe is almost like a huge magic trick and scientists are trying to figure out how it does what it does"
Read more at: http://www.azquotes.com/author/5341-Martin_Gardner
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Not sure what your looking for.
You invent your own stuff, but your looking for stuff?

In any case, welcome to the forum.

Bob
ealexm
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of ealexm
Bob,
Thanks for the welcome.

I, like you, also have Photography as a hobby and I have used photoshop to help produce a trick recently. (card images and secret markings)

Re what am I looking for: Maybe I should have said coincidences and improbabilities.

First let me put this in context. Here’s the background … I read a book called Geist, and decided to make my performance consistent with some idea for the spectators minds as to what I am presenting myself as.

I don’t use glitzy props, or do things that violate the laws of nature or physics. I do not pretend to be psychic or have magical powers. I do in fact have a degree in mathematics and use my powers of memory and observation. I can create the (mental) illusion of being able able to affect their free choices thru psychology and subliminal suggestion. I say I can’t always make such things happen, but with the cooperation of all, I think we can amaze ourselves and make highly improbable, things happen.

I make it clear what I need from them to make such things happen. (A cooperative attitude, follow instructions, always tell the truth succinctly in reply to a question) This framework makes it easy to use instant assistant techniques without the need for any wink or secret communication.

I like having 2 spectators each do something that turns out against long odds to have something remarkable happen, sometimes without me touching a thing. Most of these effects take the form of coincidences and I want a variety of plots and not just a one trick performance. I use dice, chips, cards, paper and pencil, all just ordinary appearing objects.

I use a toolbox of techniques such as counterintuitive math principles, multiple outs, equivoque, sleight of mouth, setups, Gilbreath, gaffed items, logic, one-ahead, etc. I have used Scrabble downloads & EXCEL to develop wordlists having non-obvious properties I can exploit. Any pre-show techniques I may use do not require anyone to lie or be able to say anything later that does not conform to what I tell the group during performance.

I want to extend my current toolbox of techniques, plots, and methods by reviewing tricks in the literature for principles and plots. If a trick fits into the flow of a routine I am building I might adapt it, e.g. a prediction I can frame as a coincidence or given a spectator prediction or choice, make it come true with a second one.

So I am seeking effects with references to their sources that are coincidences, or fit what I have described above. I have been browsing the James files, Jinx, Becker, Aronson, Trost, Colm Mulcahy, and am interested in discovering similar authors as well.
Alex
"The universe is almost like a huge magic trick and scientists are trying to figure out how it does what it does"
Read more at: http://www.azquotes.com/author/5341-Martin_Gardner
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
You may be preaching to the choir.

OR you are trying out verbiage on us, that you are going to use on your new brochure.

I have sent you a PM as to not expose methods and because you can not go on the restricted forums yet.

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » New here, seeking coincidences (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL