The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Lusthaus Card System (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Has anyone tried this card system? Does the stack look like a prearranged order? Is it really as easy to memorize as the ad claims? Can the location of each card really be determined without calculations?
Smile
Gary Alford
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Gary Alford
It is extremely easy to memorize but the deck cannot be shown in a spread as it could clearly be seen to be in a certain order. Much better is Boris Wild's stacked deck - only simple arithmetic needed and could be spread.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Thanks for the reply.

I think I'll just use the Si Stebbins stack because I can do that with no memorization and a minimum of calculation. I can show the faces, too, if I keep the deck moving.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Quote:
Gary wrote:
It [Lusthaus] is extremely easy to memorize but the deck cannot be shown in a spread as it could clearly be seen to be in a certain order. Much better is Boris Wilds stacked deck - simple arithmetic needed only and could be spread.

While I agree that Wild's system is an improvement over Lusthaus', I find it less "spreadable" than Si Stebbins. It has a strict suit rotation (like Stebbins), and very obvious numerical groups: 4-3-2-1, 5-4-3-2, 6-5-4-3, etc. (unlike Stebbins).

A much better solution (shameless plug) is "QuickStack", described in the book "Mindsights". The order is much more random (10H-5S-3C-KH-2S-9S-7C-QH-6S-AD-etc.), and the conversion (from position to value or vice versa) is significantly easier than Wild's, and *much* easier than Stebbins'.

Not just my opinion either; visit the Website (see below) and read the reviews.

... Doug
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Thanks, Doug. Since your book was reviewed by two magicians that I know and have talked "shop" with, I think I'll have to order it.
RangeCowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Long Beach
198 Posts

Profile of RangeCowboy
I used to have a magic book in UK where a setup deck was ordered thus.. and uses the mnemonic beginning "Eight kings threatened to serve.." = 8 K 3 10 2 7

I still know the mnemonic off by heart but anyone know what is the name of this setup?
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4697 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Hmmm... I've always called it the "Eight Kings" stack. Smile

But right now I'm working with the Harding stack...
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
If you just need to know the next card up or down then the Si Stebbins or Eight Kings Stacks will work fine.

If you need to know the specific position of a card then forget any system where you have to do a calculation, no matter how simple, in performance.

Learn your system off by heart. You must know the positions automatically without thinking. MY choice is the Aronson stack because it has so many terrific extras built in
E-Leoni
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
358 Posts

Profile of E-Leoni
Quentin,

Seven of Diamonds ?

E-Leoni.
Paul S
View Profile
New user
Scotland UK
100 Posts

Profile of Paul S
Well that would be position 42 in the Nikola System stack. I like the Nikola stack.

Paul S.
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
I know David Berglass used to genuinely shuffle a pack, then memorise the order (using Harry Lorrayn's mnemonic system, presumably) that way the "stack" is genuinely undetectable.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4697 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Quote:
On 2002-04-09 10:25, E-Leoni wrote:
Seven of Diamonds ?

And it's #19 in the Harding stack. Smile
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Quote:
Seven of Diamonds ?

Quote:
On 2002-04-11 09:07, Paul S wrote:
Well that would be position 42 in the Nikola System stack.

Quote:
On 2002-04-12 17:55, Philemon wrote:
And it's #19 in the Harding stack.

And that would be #20 in QuickStack (with fewer cognitive steps than any of the other algorithmic stacks).

... Doug
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
Although I once learned the Nikola System, the best stack, to me, is a truly shuffled deck that you then memorise.

The deck can be shown freely because there is nothing to hide - it really is in random sequence.

I know that memorising a deck puts many magicians off, but we're only talking about 52 items here - a mere nothing compared to the number of items you already know.

You can either use a mnemonic system, or you can simply learn it by rote. All that matters is that you know which card is in which position and which position each card is in.

I really don't see that this is any more difficult than learning one of the many "rules-based" systems, which usually have some exception(s) that still have to be learned.

I know that the Aronson stack is very popular, but, in my experience in the UK, poker deals mean nothing to most laymen (unless, of course, they play poker), so all of the built-in effects of this nature don't add anything.

So, in conclusion, shuffle a deck, memorise it (well- there are "tests" you can copy and use on my website which got a good review in The Linking Ring some time ago) and then devour some of the better books that contain stacked deck magic, such as anything by Simon Aronson or "Workers #5" by Michael Close.
Mark S. Farrar

Email: [email]MarkFarrar@TheMagicCircle.co.uk[/email]
Web: www.MagicSquaresBook.com, www.RandMPublishing.com, www.TheDailyGoalMachine.com, www.ParvoBuster.com
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
Seven of Diamonds ?

Quote:
On 2002-04-11 09:07, Paul S wrote:
Well that would be position 42 in the Nikola System stack.

Quote:
On 2002-04-12 17:55, Philemon wrote:
And it's #19 in the Harding stack.

Quote:
On 2002-04-12 19:55, ddyment wrote:
And that would be #20 in QuickStack (with fewer cognitive steps than any of the other algorithmic stacks).

And it's #3 in the Tamariz stack (with just one step - #3 = 7D!)

-Scott
Gary
View Profile
Veteran user
Market Harborough, UK
367 Posts

Profile of Gary
Check out Charles Gauci's material. He has a very simple but effective system that works without any sweat or mental acrobats on the part of the performer.

The system is outlined with a couple of great routines in the lecture notes 'Reputation Makers'.
"I can see clearly now, the brain has gone"
- Anon
Richard Busch
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburgh, PA - USA
105 Posts

Profile of Richard Busch
Since people of different levels read this forum, this may help a little. IMO, the Lusthaus System really is the easiest for the rank beginner to learn, literally in just a few minutes. But yes, there are significant limitations. For anyone else, I highly recommend Doug Dyment's MINDSIGHT'S. The book is loaded with other things so good, I'm sorry he gave them away!

rb
Richard Busch
<BR>www.RichardBusch.com
<BR>RichardBusch@RichardBusch.com
www.TheMindFocuser.com
xersekis
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of xersekis
I agree check Doug Dyment's work.
I think you will like it.

ENjoy!
Rex
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Lusthaus Card System (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL