The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Strolling magic. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
J.G. wrote: "I half to lift my arms a bit I intended them to be almost relaxed when working at the table. Anyway if I need it shortened I can simply cut the bottom a bit without damaging its structural support. So everyone has an idea of its height I am six five. Luckily I don't need a platform for people to see me. Should I lower it or just let experience tell me before I do the undoable?"
If your arms are not working comfortably its going to be a nuisance for you, and that will affect your peformance. Try the current height at home, and also try making a lower make-shift support for your table top - maybe some corrugated cardboard box turned upside down. That will give you a couple pf heights to see whch one you find easier to work with.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The presentation makes the magic.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Profile of J.G. the magnificent
Actually my arms work quite comfortably. I mentioned that so everyone has the idea of its height and that the audience members in the back and shorter people might have difficulty looking a bit higher. It is about the height of a short podium. Also I thought of cardboard in fact we had a cardboard like heavy poster board that I almost used but figured the wind would blow it over. So I will stick with the board besides the thing is about as thin as cardboard anyway. thanks
Jeremy Gates
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
477 Posts

Profile of epoptika
I say to h*ll with short people! Leave the table high, your back will thank you.

Bill, can't you just start playing the banjo to make people run away? Smile
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-06-10 12:26, epoptika wrote:
I say to h*ll with short people! Leave the table high, your back will thank you.

I actually like the banjo just depends on how it is played. It is different and the drums, guitar, ect are too comonly played.
Jeremy Gates
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2010-06-10 12:26, epoptika wrote:

It can serve the purpose!

The Celtic definition of Perfect Pitch is when you toss the banjo into the dumpster and it clears both sides, ricochets off the accordion, bounces off the bagpipes, caroms off the bodhran and lands square on the fiddle.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
477 Posts

Profile of epoptika
I guess I have basic sociopathic tendencies. I actually like the sound of all of those instruments although they are akin to fingernails on a chalkboard for many people. Our local high school has its own bagpipe band.

I've always wanted to try making my own fiddle or banjo. No doubt easier than making a set of bagpipes.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-06-10 20:47, epoptika wrote:
I guess I have basic sociopathic tendencies. I actually like the sound of all of those instruments although they are akin to fingernails on a chalkboard for many people. Our local high school has its own bagpipe band.

I've always wanted to try making my own fiddle or banjo. No doubt easier than making a set of bagpipes.

check here: http://boingboing.net/2009/11/20/cigar-box-ukulele-ki.html
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I've built several modern banjos. When I was doing Western Theatrical work, I scratch-built an 1860's style fretless banjo. You can see it here:

http://www.banjowizard.com/fretless.htm
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
477 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Bill,
That's a very nice looking banjo. I like the unusual head shape. Did you do the actual inlay work yourself?

Are you by chance familiar with a magician who called himself Mysterious Smith? Your wizard photo brought him to mind. I have an old photo of him and his assistants in a stage production wherein they are all wearing pointy wizard hats. Their hats however were white and, if memory serves, completely covered their faces making them look alarmingly like members of the Klan.

Thanks for the link Gaddy. I've got a lot of cigar boxes laying about the house so I've got a good head-start on making myself a ukulele. Now if I can just find my Tiny Tim albums... (Thanks, also, for the info on the timbale sticks mentioned elsewhere. I will seek them out.)

P.S. Bill - I answered my own question about MS. I Googled his name and found an old thread on the Café (from 2007) in which, not surprisingly, you contributed information about him. I acquired my MS photo prior to that time and could find very little information about him (none actually) at the time. A fellow collector I communicated with knew little about him but had within his dusty files an old prop list of Mysterious Smith's and among the items listed was a "rat jar". No mention of the effect involved.

Hmm, nothing like wandering off topic. Smile
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Meanwhile...back at the ranch, poor Aunt Polly had fallen into the well...

Oh...sorry...thought since this had veered so off topic we could start retelling old episodes of Lassie....
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-06-11 20:27, imgic wrote:
Meanwhile...back at the ranch, poor Aunt Polly had fallen into the well...

Oh...sorry...thought since this had veered so off topic we could start retelling old episodes of Lassie....

Did you ever see that one episode where Timmy finds the radioactive guinea-pig? I'm not making this up!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
477 Posts

Profile of epoptika
I don't remember Aunt Polly falling into the well - only Timmy. That family must have been real clumsy!

The whole radioactive doomsday theme was pretty popular in the 50's-60's.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Glad you guys are enjoying yourselves about banjos in all. Not to be a stinker but the Café etiquette does call for keeping discussions on topic. If you all want to discuss music and T.V. shows do it in "not very magical, still...”
Jeremy Gates
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's okay, Jeremy. We already know you are a stinker. Smile

You know, it really doesn't make much difference what we post in response to one of your topics or questions. You never take anyone's advice, anyway.

And, come to think of it, if you had actually paid attention when you read the rules, you would know what to do about off-topic posts.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Could you please re-state the "topic" of this thread? I just re-read your 1st post and it's as unclear as it was back in March...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The banjo is definitely relevant to this thread. I built that particular banjo to play between routines when I was performing strolling magic during my Western Theatrical act.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
477 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Hey guys, what are your thoughts regarding baking powder vs. baking soda in pancake batter?
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
477 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Jeremy,
Have you considered radioactive guinea pigs for your final loads? (Just don't load from your trousers.)

Gaddy, here's a site that might appeal to you; http://www.conelrad.com/mutatedtelevision/index.html
tomterm8
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of tomterm8
Quote:
On 2010-06-12 08:13, epoptika wrote:
Hey guys, what are your thoughts regarding baking powder vs. baking soda in pancake batter?

Neither, the traditional English recipy uses:

•110g/4oz plain flour, sifted

•pinch of salt

•2 eggs

•200ml/7fl oz milk mixed with 75ml/3fl oz water

•50g/2oz butter

To serve
•caster sugar

•lemon juice or wedges

There was actually at least one act, in ye olde variety days, which included flipping pancakes over. They used to cook the pancakes during a plate spinning act. So this post is relevant to the thread. You could possibly even busk doing an act like this.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-06-12 00:07, Bill Palmer wrote:
That's okay, Jeremy. We already know you are a stinker. Smile

You know, it really doesn't make much difference what we post in response to one of your topics or questions. You never take anyone's advice, anyway.

And, come to think of it, if you had actually paid attention when you read the rules, you would know what to do about off-topic posts.

How am I a stinker? Just because I ignore certain things doesn’t mean I ignore all. I have gotten a restaurant tray stand for a table rather than a spider table, ordered TO LURE WITH SPECTACLE, and changed my approach to the fire stuff, ECT. I appreciate allot of the replies, however their comes a point that it is too much constructive criticism there is a fine line between helping and beating a horse then beating a dead horse. I quote from the Café etiquette this is to everyone. "Personal attacks or insulting opinions and
statements regarding other posters can not and will not be tolerated.

If you have a problem following the rules here, please exit stage left, thank you very
much. There are other magic boards on the net that allow such childish behavior, and I
suggest you pay them a visit at your earliest convenience." I think we are all guilty of this including I. Sometimes I get so caught up I forget what I am posting and that I am speaking to elders. I think we could all be more respectful. Also I reread the rules and after reading it multiple times I just don't get it Bill. Lastly I don't understand Bill I think you like me but you can be my best friend or worst critic. I don't get why some still pay attention to me especially after saying they will walk away. It might be that they see potential in me and my ability to withstand criticism is a mark of beat the odds. There is a saying but I forget who, I forgot it after having it memorized and it's killing me but it goes something like this. I man is determined when he meets great opposition. Though my arguments may also be a sign of arrogance. Still wondering which. Why does everyone still post? Not to say I don't appreciate it though.
Jeremy Gates
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Strolling magic. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL