We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Mesika Wallet: A review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JIMclubber64
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of JIMclubber64
I know a lot of people often will post questions about what the best C2W is, or what people think of certain ones, ect. I've read through a lot of those kinds of threads looking for advice myself, and eventually settled on the Mesika Wallet, for several reasons. I got it about 2 weeks ago, and I decided I'd let people know what I think. Now I am in no way a professional performer, but I do think I can give a fair and honest review.
Anyway, the effect, in case you don't know, is relatively standard: A card is fairly selected, signed, and returned to the deck. The chosen signed card is vanished from the deck and reappears inside a zippered compartment in the wallet, folded up.

The Wallet itself is a hip-style, bi-fold wallet, with plenty of spots for credit cards, business cards, an ID, ect. It seems to be well made(it has held up fine so far), isn't bulky, and can be used as an everyday wallet.
The instructions included are adequate, and will teach everything you need to know, but the routine included is as simple as "oh, right after I shuffled the deck, your card appeared in my wallet!" I came up with my own routine, but you'll probably already have a routine/patter in mind when you buy this.
One thing that I personally like is that the wallet can be on your performing surface, already "in play" before the effect even starts. Or, if you prefer, you can keep it in your pocket and pull it out for the production. I also think that it's a nice subtlety that the wallet has a clasp that keeps the wallet clearly shut the whole time.
Obviously, you'll need to be able to do the Mercury Card fold, which he does briefly teach in the instructions. I was already somewhat familiar with the move, I just needed to practice it a bit. If you already know the move, you'll be performing this within 5 minutes. If you don't know the Mercury Card fold, It's a simple enough move, it just requires a bit of confidence.
You can also produce the card unfolded, but that requires palming and the wallet to be in a pocket. Also, the zippered compartment is a bit small for the card when it's unfolded, which may only make sense to you if you've seen the wallet. If you don't want to learn the Mercury Card Fold, I would definitely tell you to look at a different wallet.
Many people I know ask how well the "gaff" (for lack of a better term) is hidden, and I would have to say that in a way, very well, but also not at all. If you let them handle the wallet, they'll eventually figure out the "abnormality" of the wallet, however if someone flashed the gaffed area to me, I honestly probably wouldn't think anything of it.
Also, as both the Ad and the instructions say, this can be used for a lot of other "item to impossible location" effects. One natural thing to use for when you don't have a deck of cards is a signed dollar bill or an initialed coin. If you often have people ask you to "show me something quick" this will be something you'll be glad to have.
Honestly, I'm not sure why it's $50, but I'm not unhappy with the price. For the record, this is my first Magic Wallet, and will probably be my last. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a C2W Effect who's not afraid to fold their playing cards. Smile

Thanks for reading, and if you've been unsure about which wallet to get, I hope this review helped you a bit.

JIMC64
"Magic should always have a purpose. [...] Find your purpose for performing. Only then will you be able to find the right trick!" -- Jay Noblezada
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2820 Posts

Profile of lunatik
You mentioned the 'gaff' in the wallet not being hidden so well. Royal Card to Wallet pretty much solves that problem!! other than that, it's almost the exact same wallet
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
JIMclubber64
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of JIMclubber64
Quote:
On 2010-03-09 22:23, lunatik wrote:
You mentioned the 'gaff' in the wallet not being hidden so well. Royal Card to Wallet pretty much solves that problem!! other than that, it's almost the exact same wallet

Well, to a magician, it's not so well hidden, but I think to any laymen, they either wouldn't notice it in the first place, or even if they did, wouldn't think anything of it. It's hidden in plain sight, really. In fact, I know someone who has a wallet that has a section that actually looks exactly like the gaff, but it's perfectly normal and an intentional part of the wallet.
"Magic should always have a purpose. [...] Find your purpose for performing. Only then will you be able to find the right trick!" -- Jay Noblezada
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2820 Posts

Profile of lunatik
The royal card to wallet's gaff is not located where mesika's is. it's in a better place, better disguised. do you have royal wallet?
JIMclubber64
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of JIMclubber64
Quote:
On 2010-03-09 22:45, lunatik wrote:
The royal card to wallet's gaff is not located where mesika's is. it's in a better place, better disguised. do you have royal wallet?

No, I don't. As I said in my original post, the Mesika wallet is the first Magic wallet I've owned, which I've only had for a few weeks now.
If you believe that the Royal wallet is better, I'm not going to say that your wrong, because, well, you could very easily be right. I don't know. But I do know that I'm happy with the Mesika. Plus I have Jeff McBride on my side. Smile
And you know, everyone has different preferences and needs in things like magic wallets. Personally, I don't think I need anything that is better disguised. If you feel more comfortable with the royal wallet because it's better disguised, good. All that really matters is what's comfortable for you, and what helps you entertain your audience more. Smile
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2820 Posts

Profile of lunatik
No disagreement from me! I have both wallets and like both! Whenever your Mesika wears out, give the royal one a whirl!
Servaas Koomen
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Servaas Koomen
I agree with you.

ive bought it for my restaurant job, and if well routined, it is very cool. and the quality is good.

the thing that got me to buy it was also the recommendation by jeff McBride
"The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides the champion from someone else who is not a champion. That's what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they'll go through the pain no matter what" A.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2323 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I just got my mesika wallet on saturday. My magic shop had both the royal and mesika on display for me to compare. I decided to spend the extra cash because it was much easier for me to load into the mesika. And it just looked like a quality wallet. I love the naturalness of it.
ReviewerMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of ReviewerMaster
Love the wallet, don't like the gaff...
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2820 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Don't like the gaff or location of the gaff? I don't like the location either which is why I bought a Royal Card to Wallet...... It's perfect IMO
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
Like all of Mesika's products, this one is completely overpriced - all flash and packaging, no thought put into practical applications for magicians.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I have used the Mesika wallet almost exclusively for 10 years. It is my every day wallet. I use it 2-3 nights a week in restaurant/bar work and when I meet someone casually and I have 2 minutes to impress them, the trick I normally do is card to wallet. I have NEVER been caught with the gaff and have NEVER had anyone question to see it, because it looks so much like a normal man's wallet. I also don't load it as described in the original instructions. I just load it as I'm taking it from my pocket. I've owned about 15 CTW in my 20 years in magic, and this is the finest.
Nikki78
View Profile
Elite user
I impaled Dracula with
493 Posts

Profile of Nikki78
I also love my Mesika wallet and I totally agree with all positive points mentioned above BUT there is one thing I really miss and what (imo) totally sucks:
where is the compartment for your change (coins)???
Right, there is none. That's the main reason I put my Mesika wallet aside and built a CtW "gaff" into my everyday wallet.

Just my 2 cents

Nikki
I'm no native speaker - please ignore the mistakes Smile
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
For those that don't like the gaff/location of the gaff, lunatik's plug for the Royal is well deserved.

Quality is just as good as Mesika
Location of gaff in the Royal is far superior for a few reasons, not the least of which are: you don't need to MF the card and it's easier to load when the wallet is in your pocket
Royal is far cheaper
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-09-14 17:19, Frank Starsini wrote:
For those that don't like the gaff/location of the gaff, lunatik's plug for the Royal is well deserved.

Quality is just as good as Mesika
Location of gaff in the Royal is far superior for a few reasons, not the least of which are: you don't need to MF the card and it's easier to load when the wallet is in your pocket
Royal is far cheaper

I agree with Frank and lunatick. the Royal Wallet is superior to Yigal Mesika's wallet.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4469 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2012-09-12 10:19, Nikki78 wrote:
I also love my Mesika wallet and I totally agree with all positive points mentioned above BUT there is one thing I really miss and what (imo) totally sucks:
where is the compartment for your change (coins)???
Right, there is none. That's the main reason I put my Mesika wallet aside and built a CtW "gaff" into my everyday wallet.

Just my 2 cents

Nikki

Don't know what you're moaning about.... you just gave away your 2 cents. So you have no change to keep in it! Smile Lets face it with his products you don't get much change to put in them! Smile

Will give the royal wallet a look see.
mcmc
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of mcmc
Don't get the question - you keep a few coins in the gaffed compartment, that's your change holder, and also adds a subtlety?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Mesika Wallet: A review (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL