The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Quantum Bender on a plane (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Has anyone had any problems with bringing quantum bender onto a plane? I know you can put it in your luggage which will be stored on the plane but has anyone ever went through security with it to take the QB as carry on?

If you have any stories then let me know.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Yes and they almost took it away. I wouldn't chance it.
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
I guess I'll just have to put it with my main luggage and if they lose my luggage then I will sue the airlines for everything they have and take the clothes off their back Smile
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
They took a good hard look at mine and I had to explain what it was and what it did. after that I was gtg
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
If you decide to put it in your carry-on, why not include the instructions as well? Helps to prove it's a harmless thing you bought at a magic store (or that you're devilishly clever, disguising a bomb like that as a "coin bender.")
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
David Alexander
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of David Alexander
Quote:
On 2010-03-10 23:28, Benji Bruce wrote:
I guess I'll just have to put it with my main luggage and if they lose my luggage then I will sue the airlines for everything they have and take the clothes off their back Smile

Actually Benji, you're limited by regulations as to how much you can claim...which is next to nothing.
jekyllandhyde
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of jekyllandhyde
Quote:
Actually Benji, you're limited by regulations as to how much you can claim...which is next to nothing.

Not necessarily true anymore David. Now that many airlines are charging for baggage, their monetary liability is upwards of $3000. More than enough to cover the Bender. Check with your travel agent.
gmindmagic
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of gmindmagic
Yes, you will not be able to take your QB in your carry on. since January this year everything has tightened up even more. I've had this happen. They have 0 tolerance now. Also be careful with electronics. My Proximity without the battery installed was not allowed. Craig an I discussed this and he had not had problems but had not traveled yet this year.

I love one bag travel and use to carry my complete show but it's getting harder and harder. I'm now Fedx-ing my items I need directly to the hotel (Very small box) I'm staying. Easier than a second bag. No problems yet and if the box does not get there I can do the show with just my carry on props. Benji are you going to fly with your CP watch. Let me know?
mrmagic0
View Profile
Inner circle
Ron Frank
1610 Posts

Profile of mrmagic0
Yes I would like to know if anyone has had problems with their CP watch?

Ron
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
I just went through a similar scenario.

Safest bet is to UPS or FedEx (or another traceable service) your gear well ahead of time to ensure it gets there on time (it's part of the hotel service to hold it for you), and check it as baggage on the return flight.

This was reinforced when we arrived at our destination airport and my checked garment bag didn't (until almost 24 hours later).
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1962 Posts

Profile of Lior
I do 90 security checks every year in airports around the world.
I have one bag and one small trolly.
I never check bags (well I did it only once and the bag arrived 2 days later)
You need to be nice to the security people and tell them exactly what you think
will show up on their screens.
after September 11 , I was always "randomly" chosen for another security check

Craigs cube is the only electronic effect I have and didn't cause any problem
at all.

Lior
1A all the way
The Lior Touch
https://1amagic.com/
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
mrmagic0
View Profile
Inner circle
Ron Frank
1610 Posts

Profile of mrmagic0
I would think if one were wearing the CP watch that there should not be a problem as opposed to checking it through either in a carry on or checked bag but I am curious if anyone can answer this question. I know we have hundreds of these overseas and I am sure someone can answer this about our product or many of the others out there.

ron
gmindmagic
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of gmindmagic
Lior is right you gotta be cool calm and super nice. If they say no it's no! Has anyone had trouble with anything magnetic?

Lior I also get a second carry on for free sort of: http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/New_Travel_Vest.shtml

I love my Scottevest. It's like an extra carry on and when the ipad comes out I'll condense even more. If you want to see the master of one bag travel ( besides Doug Dyment http://www.onebag.com/) check out Joel Bauer http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=......9&hl=en#
kozmic kettle
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of kozmic kettle
Flying with these types of props in your hand luggage is always a bit of a lottery. It all depends on whether the item gets flagged (which is often down to chance) and the attitude of the individual security officer if it does. Just because one airport official accepts the explanation that it's a stage prop and lets it through - doesn't mean that the next one will. We're talking about (often very expensive) props that don't fit into any clearly defined category for which there are definite rules. It's basically going to come down to luck and the gut reaction of one guy who may have had a very bad day!

With the CP watch, I suspect it's unlikely to be looked at very closely on your wrist and that most people would walk through without a problem - but if they did ask you to take it off and noticed the wire going into the strap ... there would be a pretty strong chance of it being confiscated. I’ve never had a problem carrying any kind of props in my checked baggage.

For those of you who UPS or FedEx the props to your hotel – have you ever had problems with customs? I can see how it might be an option for an American performer flying to a show in another part of the States, but as a British performer I only tend to fly when I’m performing in a foreign country. When you mail valuable items to a foreign country, you are importing them - even if you are mailing them to yourself. This could result in customs delays and having to pay tax, import duty and customs fees on your own props!
Proxy
View Profile
Veteran user
336 Posts

Profile of Proxy
Gmindmagic, thanks for those 2 links. It's been a while since I've seen Joel Bauer. Good nuts and bolts info in that video. Sounds like his seminar is getting good reviews as well gathering from what I just searched.
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Taoist I'll be heading to Joel's seminar in April so I'll let you know how it is.
John T. Sheets
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, USA
1105 Posts

Profile of John T. Sheets
Hello,

I have flown with my QB2 so many times, it feels like a million. Here's what I do. I always have it in my pocket. At the security check point I take out the QB2 along with a sharpie. I lay them down side by side, in the plastic bin. I place a half dollar directly over the center of both, and then drop some other change around them. I then empty my other pockets contents, & place it next to the Sharpie & QB2. To date, I have never been stopped using this method.
One other time I forgot to remove it from my pocket. I explained that it was a magic prop, I then handed them a business card and I was on my way. However, I think to be absolutely safe you may want to put it in your check in baggage. I hope this helps, and I'm glad to hear that all of you are getting so much use out of the QB2.

Magically,
John

PS- Here is a link to some other discussions on this topic: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......tart=360
www.johnTsheets.com

See the "Quantum Bender 3.0" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTVw9FjonE

See my Dove Act here... https://youtu.be/Ms7_u46Qpp0

See the "Energy Bender" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJOfL0k8xA

See the "Table of Death" in Las Vegas trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivizLAKD7I
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
Quote:
On 2010-03-14 05:30, JTSmagic wrote:
Hello,

I have flown with my QB2 so many times, it feels like a million. Here's what I do. I always have it in my pocket. At the security check point I take out the QB2 along with a sharpie. I lay them down side by side, in the plastic bin. I place a half dollar directly over the center of both, and then drop some other change around them. I then empty my other pockets contents, & place it next to the Sharpie & QB2. To date, I have never been stopped using this method.
One other time I forgot to remove it from my pocket. I explained that it was a magic prop, I then handed them a business card and I was on my way. However, I think to be absolutely safe you may want to put it in your check in baggage. I hope this helps, and I'm glad to hear that all of you are getting so much use out of the QB2.

Magically,
John

PS- Here is a link to some other discussions on this topic: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......tart=360
Now that I feel much more confident taking my QB2 on a plane I feel less secure going on the plane in the first place if it is so easy bringing items like QB2 on board.

Steve
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
I've used john's technique this last december and I got stopped every single time. I had to explain that I was a magician and had to explain what the device did. definitely can't afford them confiscating it. next time I will just put it in my suitcase.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
1) Fedex

2) If must check-in, don't have a flight with connections

3) Prop heavy acts - go with a train

4) Have to take a plane - consider going minimalistic and how to have items on hand in location you are travelling to combined with 1

I always use check-in luggage and have been lucky.

If I try to bring it carry on:

As for the QB2, what I have is a thin transparent document holder 1 1/2" thick and can hold legal paper dimensions. In it is the QB2, the sharpie, decks of cards, a thumb t, D'lites, sun/gold coin etc... and other minor things.

Only tried it once and they were fine with it.

Next: carry an extra small padded bag so you can turn it into a check-in if they won't let you make it carry on.

Last tip: join the IBM, make a lot of friends, and have them have duplicates of items you need when you travel the world (thank goodness mentalism doens't require subtrunks all the time)
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Quantum Bender on a plane (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL