We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » My 2010 Book (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15 [Next]
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
@ Charles yes I wroye the Bridge a work on Dream Crafting not to be confused with another work called Bridge by Aaron Alexander.
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
Energetic Touches combines suggestion with body magic, psychology, and natural physiological processes. This routine grew out of earlier work by Ormond McGill. To say it lies solely on suggestion only suggests that you aren't grasping or appreciating all of the nuances involved. Some phases are more suggestion based than others, but the basic effect is similar to Docc's ball and tube in how it progresses.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Brainbu$ter
View Profile
Veteran user
Indianapolis, IN
325 Posts

Profile of Brainbu$ter
I'll give it another try (reading).
Maybe I'll try it in phases, starting with the first.
On my first reading (admittedly, I read only around 50 pages explaining this one effect),
I honestly saw just a stage hypnotism act.
I personally have no experience or liking for stage hypnotism.
I'm glad to know there's a name for this, "esoteric mentalism."
The first sentence reads:
"METHOD:
As bold as it is, SUGGESTION and a few other ploys are in full effect
here to achieve the outcome...Besides the heavy use of suggestion a few things
are working with you and in your favor"
So to Michael, I would say this is 'based on' suggestion
(and a few other ploys...which my eyes were probably too bloodshot to notice
after trying to keep track of the pages of hypnotic patter I'd need to memorize).

It seems to me as if you'd need months to get this thing down before presenting it.
I like Corinda and Cassidy. They're punchy and hit between the eyes,
and methods are clear and direct and simple.

Patter is crucial in magic and mentalism, but in this,
it seems to be nearly the entire method.

I will add that I have used a verbal ploy I learned from Thought Channel.
Combined with a similar verbal ploy (almost like cold-reading) from Patrick Redford's Pentagon,
I can correctly guess which hand a spectator holds a coin...twice in a row, just by the verbal ploy
(not sure whether it's called a verbal ploy).
Without getting into too much detail,
it's basically where you speak half a sentence which could be interpreted as a hit,
and end there depending on the spec's feedback... but when there's no feedback,
without missing a beat you continue finishing the sentence which reframes tho potential guess
into just part of the instructions/clarifying recap of what's happened.

I've seen D Brown used this verbal ploy in more than just Smoke.
Very hard to catch Brown do it when it "fails."...so much so that
most people (including magicians and mentalists) fail to notice it.

But I recognize that it's not fair judging this before performing it.
The most engaging virtual magic show by the stupendous zoom magician and mentalist Jon Finch.
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1026 Posts

Profile of kannon
Wow Bill, you are too kind. Respect.
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Brainbuster, you are entitled to your opinion and you are likely not the only one who holds that view. I held off purchasing Jerome's works because esoteric mentalism is not for me. Because of my worldview, if I read this book, I would probably be left feeling like you. For people like Bill Montana, this is gold. For you and me, it's not. And that's okay. You are allowed to say what you believe, and I'm sure your comments have been or will be of assistance to someone, somehow. But you generally won't change someone's opinion on the internet, so I think all posters here need to not turn the disagreement into a fight (it's been very respectable so far, but these thingscan turn in an instant!).

We need to each find the avenues of the art that match our interests and personal comfort zones, then pour our energy into being the best that we can be in that arena.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Yup, agree with CJ completely...you've paid money for something you won't use - we've all done that...i mean, personally - I research everything I am interested in, previous works, forums, ask around - that kinda thing before buying...

how long ago did you buy it, and where from BrainBuster? its definitely worth a proper and complete read through before discarding it...(well, in my opinion it is) - just for the experience of reading it properly and understanding the timings and scripting...it might spark an idea off in your head if nothing else...

but its certainly fair enough that you didn't enjoy it and its not for you...
I've asked to be banned
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
590 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2014, Brainbu$ter wrote:
I didn't know Finley was no longer welcome here.

Neither did I; have I missed something?
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2868 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Oh yes!
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
mikelsc
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of mikelsc
I have a feeling that this should be discussed in the Inner Thoughts section?

The effect certainly works with a certain type of people, whether it refers to the performer or the spectator. I was very impressed by the work upon my first read mainly because I've never seen anything like that before. There's always something you can get out of from anything you've read. I wish you the very best of luck on that Brainbuster.

Cheers,
Mike
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
The reason it takes so long to explain is that is not "believe it and it will happen." It could have been written shorter, but there are a lot of extra suggestions and ideas.

Obviously some people won't like the style of effect, or be interested in the subject matter, but without reading the whole effect, practicing and performing it it does seem unfair to dismiss it.

I performed ET (along withe HALO from PC II) twice last night and it went really well.
That being said, ...I'm totally into reiki-pocus and it works very well for me personally as well as with clients and in shows.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2014, Nicolino wrote:
Oh yes!

Again!?
...I guess I missed some stuff, not having been around lately. Smile
So it goes.

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
590 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Did he walk or was he pushed?
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Swan dive with double reverse kip. Epic.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Just a reminder that Jerome is a human being, and might well be experience huge life problems...doesnt excuse any bad behaviour, but does gossiping do anyone any good?
I've asked to be banned
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Iain,

I agree. He, and we all, are just human. My smiley-face was more meant as an eye roll about how things often go on the Café, not as a dig at Jerome; hopefully it wasn't a perceived as such.
My only point was, energetic touches is really great (IMO).

Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
You are correct. My response was flippant and unnecessary.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2855 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Tom, you showed a lot of class coming back and saying that.

Iain, as usual, I'm very glad you are a member here. Thank you for taking the time to point out what is most essential.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3400 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
My sympathy for Jerome Finley ended at the point he started making public posts on a magic forum about my mother having a miscarriage. If he has problems in his life he should seek professional help and not abuse people online.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Yes, there is that. And you weren't the first.

It is Ego that is the bugaboo that brings most of us down. Too much Ego and we implode. Case in point.

But the Café handled it effectively, I thought. Its nice to know the rules apply to all.
genius
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of genius
I have noticed a significant decline in the quality of Jerome's products (including the way in which they are marketed) ever since he was no longer welcome here on the Café. As an example, the last email I received indicted that the "price was supposed to go up yesterday but I have been having computer issues and literally do not have a machine that can login and make the change." It's quite peculiar when you receive these messages with prices remaining "introductory" due to computer issues (this is not the first time that a lack of access to a computer has impacted the price).

Now, I know what some of you may be thinking. Why is Charles complaining when the price is lower than it otherwise would be??? Well, the thing is...the emails and communications from Jerome have become somewhat "gimmicky", and by that, I mean...I get the impression is he trying to sell, sell, sell FIRST and foremost...especially since he is now no longer allowed to promote his work on the Café. Even on the calls, there is reference to other work and Jerome himself has recommended to check out his other works, not once, not twice, not even three times, but way more on some calls. It does dilute the quality of the call when it becomes less about the content and more about the SALES. It's a turn-off.

Just some thoughts---maybe you agree, maybe you disagree---I'm not posting to change anybody's mind, but just wanted to share my experience.

Mindblowingly,
Charles
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » My 2010 Book (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL