The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Wooden Cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
I have just taken delivery of a set of Cocobolo cups and matching wand made by Joe
Porper. Aside from very nice single chop cups and a nasty little set of cups made in India, these are the first decent set of wood cups I have gotten my grubby little paws on and they are very nicely made.

Obviously wooden cups handle very differently to metal ones and they have certain restrictions and limitations but I really like these and the wand is beautiful.

You can read more of my thoughts and see pictures here:

http://tinyurl.com/yk8jkgv

Bri
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Great looking set of cups Bri, congrats!
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Thanks! I was just saying to someone that I would really like a set of dark wooden cups with polished copper or brass beads and mouth beads...
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
577 Posts

Profile of dcjames
Quote:
On 2010-03-13 11:43, mindyourmagic wrote:
Thanks! I was just saying to someone that I would really like a set of dark wooden cups with polished copper or brass beads and mouth beads...

Congrats Bri!

I really like your idea about the copper or brass and wood cups... Might be a trick to produce though I am sure that they would be beautiful.
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Sshhh Doug, I'm happy in my bubble! If someone were to make them, I bet they would look and handle nicely though...
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
CoCoBolo is a beautiful wood and Joe did a beautiful job turning those. Congrats on a nice addition to your evergrowing collection Bri! I wonder how some hand carved designs would look on those Coco cups?
Enjoy them!

Cupamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Thanks Dom. You've done it now! My mind is turning over with carved wooden cups!
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Nice cups Bri!
"But there isn't a door"
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Hey thanks Tom Smile
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Always a pleasure Bri...

...tinged with just a hint of jealousy.

;)
"But there isn't a door"
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
The contrast of the the cups with the lemon loads is really, REALLY, nice.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Yeah, thanks, I think so too Chessmann. I think that fruit suits wooden cups anyway... I like to use lemons and limes with my Eric Hansen chop cups too...

Bri
angeloturn
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of angeloturn
Attached is a photo of my first set of cups. The materials are cocobolo and gabon ebony

Now owned by Bill Palmer

A

Click here to view attached image.
Leave no wood unturned.....A
angeloturn
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of angeloturn
In addition to the Cocobolo Cups. My first ever set of Feathered Combo Cups

These too belong to Bill Palmer

A

Click here to view attached image.
Leave no wood unturned.....A
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
Angeloturn, those Cocobolo cups are very beautiful and I wish I had set like those. Cannot image a set of Feathered cups though, it's the first time I have ever heard of this.
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Just visited the Joe Porper web site and got a closer look at the cups. One thing I noticed about each cup is that they are not turned from a single piece of wood, they are turned from two pieces of wood glued together, and therefore half of the cup is different from the other half.

I have a birds-eye maple wood chop cup from Eric Hansen that is turned from a single piece of wood which is very pleasing to the eye. So, when I saw that close-up photo from Porper's web site I feel somewhat let down.

I am convinced that Joe Porper's craftmanship is top notch, but I just wish that his cups had been turned from a single piece of wood.
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
Dakota J Magic at Saint Cloud, FL
343 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
Cups turned from many pieces of wood can be beautiful.

Magic is where you find it.....
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Agreed. Nice cup!
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
Dakota J Magic at Saint Cloud, FL
343 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
Quote:

I have a birds-eye maple wood chop cup from Eric Hansen that is turned from a single piece of wood which is very pleasing to the eye.

I have a birds eye maple chop cup from Eric as well. Until you look closely, it looks like one piece of wood, but it's really two. At least in my cup, that's how the gaff is incorporated into the cup. I am a big fan of Eric's work. Maybe he will post a message here to clarify.
Magic is where you find it.....
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Dale Houck, your cup shown in the photo is meant to stand out with multi pieces of wood. Joe Porper's cup is one type of wood, cocobolo, and from one type of wood at first thought I would assume it would be a solid block of wood. It does not make sense to me that a cup would be put together like this and I am not exactly sure how to explain this. Again, this is just my opinion.

I do not know much about cocobolo wood, is it difficult wood to turn, or is it difficult to find big enough solid cocobolo wood to turn it as one solid piece?

My Eric Hansen's cup is mostly birds eye with a darker wood on the lip of the cup that enhances the over all design of the cup. The big piece of birds eye is one solid piece of wood. Anyone looking at this cup in their hands would never spot anything suspicious!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Wooden Cups (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL