We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Virus help needed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
OK, my computer is infected. Something called "Vista Internet Security" installed itself. I've googled for help, but most of the links are from anti-spyware software programs, which I simply do not trust right now (for obvious reasons). Of course, maybe they're all legitimate, but virtually all of them want me to download "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware".

The thing is pretty annoying, and it got through three firewalls and it didn't matter that I wasn't logged on with administrator rights, or that I use Firefox with all pop-ups blocked, or that Avira's anti-vir is always running in the background. And be warned: while I cannot be absolutely sure which website was infected, all I read this morning was one of those Russian "list" sights that are linked to on Dark Roasted Blend. (You know, lists like "10 elephant tattoos" and other greatly amusing stuff; now I am no longer amused). Don't let that stop anybody from reading DRB, but think twice about web sites it links to.

Any advice?

The only good thing is that apparently its goal is not to wipe out my hard drive or anything like that. It just causes a constant stream of pop-ups telling me that my computer is infected. Duh!

HELP!
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/
There are a bunch of techies that gather there and can cure just about anything,they more or less race each other to see who can sort it first.I think bragging rights mean alot.
There may even be a topic/thread on there already
Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Thanks. They also recommend malwarebytes, as does Payne in this thread: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=32

My guess is that this virus is quite similar.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
You have a VUNDO variant. Super Anti-Spyware will find it and get it when all the others fail.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Metatron
View Profile
Elite user
Port Orchard, Washington
436 Posts

Profile of Metatron
Vista Internet Security removal guide:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-re......sta-2010
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2454 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
I gave up even trying to visit Dark Roasted Blend - locked up my browser 100% of the time. Now I know why! Thanks!
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Mac (sorry, I know... the truth is predictable)
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Actually I cleaned my computer up pretty easily. I did a safe boot and restored my system with a week old one, then ran both antivir and malwarebytes with thorough searches. Everything seems fine again.

The most interesting thing is that it only seemed to affect the user account I was surfing with. My admin account was pop-up free (and this virus mainly just consisted of non-stop pop-ups.

And just to be clear, Dark Roasted Blend did not give me a problem. But DRB often links to top ten lists, which in turn link to top ten lists, so it was a link a few times removed from DRB.

Too bad. I love those lists. One of them that I read was a collection of last words by people just before they were executed. Really interesting stuff. BUt I ain't gonna read it again because I'm afraid now.

Still, there is no reason to believe that DRB is not safe.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Yeah Malwarebytes is actually a very good program. There is no need to buy the full version. The free one will work just fine. Remember just cause you have an antivirus doesn't mean you can't get a virus. That is the number one thing I hear from people at work. "Well how did I get a virus, I have Norton/shaw secure, avg, kaperski, nod, ect. ect." But when we ask them well when was the last time you ran a search? Or do you scan everything you DL before you open it. Usually the answer is they don't.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2010-03-17 14:42, Joey Stalin wrote:
...Or do you scan everything you DL before you open it....

I'm someone who does. I really am a bit weird about security issues since getting a really NASTY virus five years ago or so. That's when I implemented the changes I listed above, which I'll repeat for prosperity's sake:

1. I started using every firewall available. The one on the modem, the one in Windows, the one provided by my ISP, the one on the router, etc. etc.

2. I created accounts for all family members without admin privileges. No one surfs the web on this computer while being an administrator.

3. I started using a non Microsoft IE browser. Of course, Firefox has since become mainstream, so it's time to think of finding a new one. Any suggestions?

I also got methodical about updating my anti-virus software. Nowadays it updates itself. But it didn't catch this one.

Virus protection is like safe-sex: it might be fun the other way around, but if you get infected it changes your world view very quickly.
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1045 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Quote:
On 2010-03-17 15:02, stoneunhinged wrote:

1. I started using every firewall available. The one on the modem, the one in Windows, the one provided by my ISP, the one on the router, etc. etc.

Just make sure you don't run more than 1 software firewall at once. It can cause conflicts. Use the modem's firewall and 1 software firewall and you should be fine.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Note: There are VUNDO varients that APPEAR to have been cleaned...show up down the road again. Many Anti-Virus will just pass over elements with out detection.

VUNDO is like a matrix that contains other nasties (like those that aim you to bogus anti virus sites and bad search engines)

Good luck my friend.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Virus help needed (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL