The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I performed at a psychic fair (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I will concur with Seadog's observations here.

I'm no novice when it comes to the techniques of cold reading; in fact, I've authored two books on the subject.

However, I also believe in psychic phenomena (having experienced it firsthand).

I may be skeptical regarding a person who labels themselves a "psychic." On the other hand, I know of the benefit that an oracular fortune-teller can provide to a person seeking intuitive counsel.

I have no tolerance for those who scam susceptible people with "cursed money" ploys (or similar cons), but I also know that these grifters making up a very small percentage of the actual readers out there.

You are indeed entitled to your opinions... but when you try to pass them off as "facts," then I will accuse you of being just another troll debunker (which is my opinion).
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Psychological Mind Reading Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of Psychological Mind Reading Illusionist
Quote:
"I'm sure 99% of people here know there is no such thing as real psychics, fortune tellers and what not."
I am humbled by your omniscience. I happy for you that you know so much. (that was meant sarcastically, it's obvious I know, but occasionally things don't come through in print).

Get off your horse, you're just choleric because of your personal beliefs about Neo-paganism. You my friend are taking it way too personally.

Quote:
"Why do you protect the people who profit from manipulating with gullible people? "
I don't, but even cynics agree that most readers are sincere. Very few readers, especially in the neo-pagan community are frauds. If you think they are deluded or gullible so be it, but that does not make them frauds. Readers can and do make positive differences is peoples lives and neo-pagan spirituality is a meaningful, helpful and positive influence in the lives of many. Why would you denigrate that simply because it does not match your worldview?

The gullible people I was referring to are the clients not the readers. (I guess the readers can trick themselves to believing in it, but as Derren Brown said in his interview with Richard Dawkins, the readers who are proficient at it know it's all a trick because they are using the tricks. The readers are selling a product where they claim they could tell the client about their future and how they can talk to his/her dead relatives. Don't you think the clients are getting ripped off or being taken advantage of? If I'm not mistaken this is a form of a fraud.

P.S.
I wasn't specifically attacking the Neo-Pagans, more towards the psychics as this post was originally about, I personally think all new age and religions out there are ridiculous not just neo-pagans.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
"Get off your horse, you're just choleric because of your personal beliefs about Neo-paganism. You my friend are taking it way too personally."
Could be. My reference was to your categorical statement (repeated statements) that there is no such thing as real psychics and fortune tellers and other similar phenomenon. That is your belief system and world view and you are welcome to it, not everyone shares it though. Being a mentalist does not in any way effect ones ability to believe (or not) in psychic phenomenon.

"The gullible people I was referring to are the clients not the readers."
obviously. My point was that the clients are not being "manipulated" if the readers are sincere.

"as Derren Brown said in his interview with Richard Dawkins, the readers who are proficient at it know it's all a trick because they are using the tricks"
Much better readers than Derren Brown would disagree. Richard Webster and Gene Nielsen spring to mind.

" Don't you think the clients are getting ripped off or being taken advantage of?"
Obviously not. Yes it can happen, but on the whole no.

" If I'm not mistaken this is a form of a fraud. "
You are mistaken. Fraud would be intentionally lying and manipulating, this is usually not the case. Your belief system is that this means both parties are wrong, fine that's your belief, but it's not fraud. Also, again, if it is helpful to a sitter's life I think that is more important than the arguments of skeptics.

"I wasn't specifically attacking the Neo-Pagans, more towards the psychics as this post was originally about, I personally think all new age and religions out there are ridiculous not just neo-pagans."
So then, if you were to use your understanding of cold reading to actually do readings for members of these groups that would be fraud.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
This would be a much nicer world if we didn't attack people for their personal spiritual beliefs.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Come on...the "99%..." line was obviously a troll to get an argument. Ignore the child.

Let's not let the pseudo-skeptics hijack this thread...he seeks attention. Don't give it to him.
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of Psychological Mind Reading Illusionist
Quote:
On 2010-03-19 04:25, seadog93 wrote:
"Get off your horse, you're just choleric because of your personal beliefs about Neo-paganism. You my friend are taking it way too personally."
Could be. My reference was to your categorical statement (repeated statements) that there is no such thing as real psychics and fortune tellers and other similar phenomenon. That is your belief system and world view and you are welcome to it, not everyone shares it though. Being a mentalist does not in any way effect ones ability to believe (or not) in psychic phenomenon.

"The gullible people I was referring to are the clients not the readers."
obviously. My point was that the clients are not being "manipulated" if the readers are sincere.

"as Derren Brown said in his interview with Richard Dawkins, the readers who are proficient at it know it's all a trick because they are using the tricks"
Much better readers than Derren Brown would disagree. Richard Webster and Gene Nielsen spring to mind.

" Don't you think the clients are getting ripped off or being taken advantage of?"
Obviously not. Yes it can happen, but on the whole no.

" If I'm not mistaken this is a form of a fraud. "
You are mistaken. Fraud would be intentionally lying and manipulating, this is usually not the case. Your belief system is that this means both parties are wrong, fine that's your belief, but it's not fraud. Also, again, if it is helpful to a sitter's life I think that is more important than the arguments of skeptics.

"I wasn't specifically attacking the Neo-Pagans, more towards the psychics as this post was originally about, I personally think all new age and religions out there are ridiculous not just neo-pagans."
So then, if you were to use your understanding of cold reading to actually do readings for members of these groups that would be fraud.

There seems to be a miscommunication between you and I. Yes, I agree, my beliefs and your beliefs are in different spectrums. My experience with psychics has been with the scam artists instead of the wiccans or other neo-pagan readers. I went to some wiccan festivals (that's where I get my tarot cards and other neat stuff) and I know they are sincere and truly believe in mother nature and witchcraft. My animosity was not towards them, it was towards the scam artists who dresses up their act as Wicca and other forms for popular spirituality/religion for money and greed. People who believe in religion or spirituality is fine, but people who manipulate others through these beliefs to gain profit for themselves are the group of people I was referring to.
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
I love this clip. This is for the dark sided people lol. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOpva_iit-8
P3
practice practice perform.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I can understand that. Print is a difficult medium for communication and lends itself to misunderstanding.

ted french
LOL! I saw that episode!
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I performed at a psychic fair (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL