The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Oriental Nest of Boxes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
I used to screen print water slide decals in the 60's but I'm not sure the materials are still available. I will have to check that out.

Michael, are you using pressure sensitive decals on Mylar? do you purchase them printed?

Thanks,

Doc
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks, Regan!

Doc, I print inkjet, so there are some limitations, but I've learned to be creative, and focus on what they will do, rather than what they won't. The materials are out there, but the process can have a wicked learning curve if you want to do certain things. The basics provided with the materials are just a fraction of what I've learned about them over time. Naturally, that has come about though experimentation, which can result in expensive trash, unless you look at it as paying for an education. Any failures, whittle away that which covers up success. Eventually you see what works.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-03-27 01:34, Michael Baker wrote:...focus on what they will do, rather than what they won't....

There's a lot of wisdom in that statement!!
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2010-03-27 01:34, Michael Baker wrote:
Thanks, Regan!

Doc, I print inkjet, so there are some limitations, but I've learned to be creative, and focus on what they will do, rather than what they won't. The materials are out there, but the process can have a wicked learning curve if you want to do certain things. The basics provided with the materials are just a fraction of what I've learned about them over time. Naturally, that has come about though experimentation, which can result in expensive trash, unless you look at it as paying for an education. Any failures, whittle away that which covers up success. Eventually you see what works.

Whatever you did, it sure turned out FABtastic!!!!!

One issue that held me back with making my own waterslide decals was the clearcoat. I researched it and got some conflicting answers so I was really unsure what to do. I can't remember all the details now, but while trying to gather all the information I happened to find some decals that would work for my project so I just put the custom, homemade waterslides on the backburner.

When I started my Rainbow House project I thought about it again, and would have really loved to have had some custom waterslide decals for it. I wanted to make some nice scenes on the Rainbow House tube, and I knew it would turn out better with decals. After I thought about it for a while, I knew I was going to have to do a lot of painting to the boxes anyway, so I just decided to paint the scenes on the Rainbow House tube.
Mister Mystery
wa-na-be
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of wa-na-be
Michael just an FYI. I saw a home screen printing unit on TV and than checked it out on the internet. Here is the web site...https://www.4yudu.com/index.asp?gclid=CJ_7jLKl-qACFctx5Qod6D5EwA

Buy the way the nest of boxes look fantastic.

Chris
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Chris,

Thanks for the link. That's an interesting product, and I'm sure I could find a thousand uses for it. It seems that it will do spot color printing fairly easily, but for most of the decals I make, I'd need to be able to do four color printing, with color separation. I'll dig further to see if that set up is capable of doing that. I believe there are online tutorials for Photoshop that detail color separation for screen printing.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
As always with the things you make, very nice.
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Oriental Nest of Boxes (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL