The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Odd Quad by Daryl (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
fvdbeek
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of fvdbeek
Saw it at Hocus Pocus website. I could swear it is Capitulating Queens. Any reviews ?
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I'm meaning to pick this up. Comes with a dvd as well.

Effect:

Four aces are shown and one is selected by a spectator. The chosen ace is shown to be "odd" because it's the only RED backed card in the BLUE backed packet! A different ace is chosen and this second selection now becomes the new "odd" card because it's the only BLUE backed card backed card in the RED backed packet! The first "odd" card has a red back and the second "odd" card has a blue back. The two remaining cards also prove to be "odd" because their backs are YELLOW and GREEN! All four Aces have different colored backs! Everything can be examined and you are instantly reset.

Odd Quad comes complete with FIVE poker sized cards printed by the U.S. Playing Card Company (the extra card is for a more advanced handling), detailed written instructions including an advanced handling), full-color packaging and a performance/explanation DVD which includes a live performance at the Magic Castle. Wow! That's a lot of value for only $12.95!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
9082 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Add from the man himself. Ordered.

http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubbt......r=217452
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Got mine two days ago. What value. This should have been at the very least $19.95.

You get a performance at the Castle. Daryl is one of the smoothest performers out there.

Then you get a basic handling. But the advanced ( which is withing the grasp of everyone, including newbies ).

He gives extra tips and ideas here and makes it perfect to carry in your wallet as all cards are examinable at the end if you like to go that route.

I'll remove the aces, face up, from an actual deck. Then spread the red back deck face down. I think that will make a nice contrast for the revelation(s).

It has a bit of "All the Non Conformists" vibe to it. The cards are bright and high quality.

When Daryl releases material, I get it and have never been disappointed. Don't be fooled by the low price. This is a beautiful effect.

PERFECT for table hoppers out there.

Here's a clip and ordering page:

http://www.foolerdoolers.com/store/produ......d=200500

Chris Kavanagh

RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5391 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2010-03-26 14:39, Review King wrote:
Got mine two days ago. What value. This should have been at the very least $19.95.

You get a performance at the Castle. Daryl is one of the smoothest performers out there.

Then you get a basic handling. But the advanced ( which is withing the grasp of everyone, including newbies ).

He gives extra tips and ideas here and makes it perfect to carry in your wallet as all cards are examinable at the end if you like to go that route.

I'll remove the aces, face up, from an actual deck. Then spread the red back deck face down. I think that will make a nice contrast for the revelation(s).

It has a bit of "All the Non Conformists" vibe to it. The cards are bright and high quality.

When Daryl releases material, I get it and have never been disappointed. Don't be fooled by the low price. This is a beautiful effect.

PERFECT for table hoppers out there.

Here's a clip and ordering page:

http://www.foolerdoolers.com/store/produ......d=200500

Chris Kavanagh

I agree. Just picked this up today at the Cuckoos Nest in Pittsburgh, PA- very nice- definatley worth the price.

RNK
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2462 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Chris,
Is the peformance of Daryl showing the basic or advanced handling? I don't like a flustration count as the only convincer being used. Thanks.

-Paul
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Paul, even though he's performing at the Castle on that clip, it's the basic handling. Daryl prefers that handling for his own work. Hmmm.....a big lesson there for folks like me.

The advanced handling has you doing shuffles face up, then double undercuts, which shows the backs. He shows different ways to accomplish the effect. One part of it is that he shows all the cards, faces and backs and then removes an unknown red back ace and replaces it it with an unknown blue back ace. The aces are turned face up and one is chosen and then you go into the routine proper. I like that one very much. Very magical.

It's not designed to be a 'Magician' fooling routine, but that would also depend on their experience.

I had hoped when ordering that there would be something I could use and there is.

Chris

Daryl Easton
View Profile
V.I.P.
174 Posts

Profile of Daryl Easton
If I may add my two cents.

I believe that there's a subtle difference between using a Flustration Count to show four identical backs as opposed to four identical faces. Your audience should already assume that the backs of the cards are the same and the Flustration Count subtly "reconfirms" something that they already believe to be true.

In addition to this, when the Flustration Count is performed, the attention is drawn to the different suits on the faces of the cards. If you take a moment and watch the performance, I think you'll see why the backs are not even under suspicion. Here's the link: http://www.foolerdoolers.com/store/produ......d=200500
Daryl - The Magician's Magician

www.Daryl.net
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3010 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
It's true there's no heat on the backs during the first phase, when they don't know what's coming, but there most definitely is heat during the second phase. I'd be interested to know more about the advanced routine, or even see a demo. No doubt it's amazing - not that there's anything wrong with the basic handling, but I'm not a huge fan of the FC either when the heat's on. Thanks.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2462 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Quote:
On 2010-03-27 00:33, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
It's true there's no heat on the backs during the first phase, when they don't know what's coming, but there most definitely is heat during the second phase. I'd be interested to know more about the advanced routine, or even see a demo. No doubt it's amazing - not that there's anything wrong with the basic handling, but I'm not a huge fan of the FC either when the heat's on. Thanks.

As much as I respect Daryl I have to agree the heat is on during the second Flustration count.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4142 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I think it is a great effect. Magicians will see it, but non-magicians.... I wouldn't hesitate to perform this one. Clever thinking re: the colors, too.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
Unlike these guys that release tricks and show a demo of them performing it in their kitchen, Daryl performs this professionally and did it at the Magic Castle. Based on that clip ( a real audience, not screaming teenagers on the street ) they loved the trick. And that's the basic version. Maybe simple is best?
~Joe
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17149 Posts

Profile of joseph
Very nice...This can be used as an amusing opener to a gambling demo...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2462 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Quote:
On 2010-03-27 02:11, Joe Mauro wrote:
Unlike these guys that release tricks and show a demo of them performing it in their kitchen, Daryl performs this professionally and did it at the Magic Castle. Based on that clip ( a real audience, not screaming teenagers on the street ) they loved the trick. And that's the basic version. Maybe simple is best?

Good point! No drunk street walkers in Vegas overreacting.
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
Lol Paul.
~Joe
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4142 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Best 'fan reaction' I have ever seen is here (even if it is scripted):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqazVa9RoZs

(sorry for the OT-ness of this post Smile )
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
940 Posts

Profile of jbadman
As fdbeek asks...

What's the difference between this and Jim Swains excellent 'Capitulating Queens'? The 'Effect' sounds identical?

Cheers,

Jamie.
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
paynow
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of paynow
Quote:
On 2010-03-27 13:47, Chessmann wrote:
Best 'fan reaction' I have ever seen is here (even if it is scripted):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqazVa9RoZs

(sorry for the OT-ness of this post Smile )

"Illusionators" is hilarious. My favorite is the one where they show up grave side at a funeral, have one of the bereaved pick a card, then the coffin suddenly opens and grandpa sits up, 7 of spades in hand asking "Is this your card?". I'll have to learn that one as I live near a cemetery.

RE: ODD QUAD to get back on topic. Great DVD, two great handlings, both of which I've tried out on people and both of which got great responses. I was not expecting the DVD but even without it the written instructions are very thorough. The way he explains the subtleties and his performance make it well worth the price.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2462 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Quote:
On 2010-03-27 18:34, jbadman wrote:
As fdbeek asks...

What's the difference between this and Jim Swains excellent 'Capitulating Queens'? The 'Effect' sounds identical?

Cheers,

Jamie.

If memory serves me correctly, Capitulating Queens uses five cards and a different handling.
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
Mine arrived on Saturday and I love it. Very simple to do, even the advanced version. It comes with the cards, but you can get a Rainbow Deck and replace them as needed.

No deceptive "teaser" demo was used. You got to see a performance, for real people and the product was exactly as described.

Highly recommended!
~Joe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Odd Quad by Daryl (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL