We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » For the deniers among us (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
And you're entitled to believe anything you like, just like I am.

Do you have anything to add to the topic, or are you just here for personal reasons?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Well, "the topic" was just a link to an article, until you added your recent post. I think Nosher's first reply pretty much nailed it. So I'll "add" my agreement to it. Very disgraceful.

I'll also "add" my disagreement to your second post, and even go a step further and posit that NOBODY who posts regularly in "Not Very Magical, Still" (let alone "many") believes that "the earth is under no hazard from manking, no matter how badly we treat her." I don't think anyone's asserted it, and I don't think anyone believes it.

Since "For the deniers among us" seemed to confuse people, perhaps the thread should have been called, "Check out my latest straw man!"
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
That's simply not true. I can glean through the global warming threads (just for starters), and come back with dozens of postings which suggest that mankind has little or no adverse affect on the environment.

It's not enough for this type of person that the world biggest and oldest glaciers are melting, or that islands are literally being flooded over, etc. No, this is just a natural cycle of things, repeated over and over again, and mankind has little or no part in the cycle.

So I was just wondering if anyone here could similarly explain away a literal continent of man-made trash floating the in the Pacific Ocean.

And yes, the relative silence that followed speaks volumes, if only to me.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea this did not go as you liked. You are trying to make some sort of crazy comparison to the definate result of garbage in the ocean, and the very obvious link that man did it, and global warming. You can not manage to think that global warming is not quite so settled.

Find garbage in the ocean, and it does not take more than a first year detective student to come to a pretty quick conclusion that in some way, at some point, man had a hand in it and it could be stopped and SHOULD BE STOPPED.

Now you make some link in your mind to global warming and somehow figure it is the same. Ummmm sorry to break it to you but things have gotten warmer and cooler for centuries with and without mankind. Oh but how much garbage was in the ocean before mankind? Ummm again that would be none.

So yea, "Look at my latest straw man arguement" would be the title here. I hope you provoke at least your own thought. Nobody else seems to have fallen for your little trap.

I know you guys are getting despirate to try to get this proven, but really if this is the best attempt you are losing steam fast.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
And yet no amount of words is making the glaciers re-ice.

And no amount of "straw man" deflection is making the trash pile any smaller.

YOU are the one drawing comparisons between the two topics, not me. My claim was about the treatment of the earth in general terms, and how many members here support a certain belief system whereby mankind has no part in the trashing of the earth.

You flatly stated that "nobody" had ever expressed those ideas here. I answered that yes, they had, many times. Most notably in the "warming" threads. I am right, and you are wrong. You have NOT disproven my statement, and you CAN not.

My intention was NOT to draw a straight line betwen the two points. As I sit here writing about these things I am remembering literally dozens of related issues, all of which are man-made. Frankly, I'm just sick and tired of seeing the planet treated like a garbage heap, and even sicker when the guys doing it either lie about causing it, or worse, lie about the effects.

My comment stands: MANY members here support the idea that nothing we can do can give lasting harm to the earth. I hope to show otherwise.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Man the busses just don't go where you live do they?

The "warming threads" are about a theory, and ocean garbage is not a theory. Again sorry to break it to you. The point people are making is that we may not be the ones who are causing warming, or that there is some sort of "degree" to which we are causing it. It is not "deniable" that in some way we had a direct hand in the garbage. I doubt you will ever see the difference.

You are entitled to think what you like though. Have a great time.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
B.T.W. when a thread or a post I a thread is not commented on much or at all. It's more times than not due to two things. 1. It's mostly agreed upon. 2. May not be of that much more to add. Sometimes a 3rd. Not that interesting. That goes for any forum not just the Café or other magic forums.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-03-21 00:13, RS1963 wrote:
B.T.W. when a thread or a post I a thread is not commented on much or at all. It's more times than not due to two things. 1. It's mostly agreed upon. 2. May not be of that much more to add. Sometimes a 3rd. Not that interesting. That goes for any forum not just the Café or other magic forums.


But in this case, it's actually

4. We* all thought that pollution was a good thing, or that it has no effect on the planet, and Chance's post has stunned us into contemplation and the shocked realization that pollution is actually BAD.



*The people on "my side" of "the argument."
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2010-03-21 00:17, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-03-21 00:13, RS1963 wrote:
B.T.W. when a thread or a post I a thread is not commented on much or at all. It's more times than not due to two things. 1. It's mostly agreed upon. 2. May not be of that much more to add. Sometimes a 3rd. Not that interesting. That goes for any forum not just the Café or other magic forums.


But in this case, it's actually

4. We* all thought that pollution was a good thing, or that it has no effect on the planet, and Chance's post has stunned us into contemplation and the shocked realization that pollution is actually BAD.



*The people on "my side" of "the argument."

The only way one would think that any type of pollution is good is if they were from Mars, or Pluto. Wait not Pluto It isn't even thought to be a planet anymore.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
One of the biggest real proplems the sea has is the vast amounts of acid being pumped into it by Chinas dye factories which has gone on for decades.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5044 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2010-03-20 14:48, LobowolfXXX wrote:

I'll also "add" my disagreement to your second post, and even go a step further and posit that NOBODY who posts regularly in "Not Very Magical, Still" (let alone "many") believes that "the earth is under no hazard from manking, no matter how badly we treat her." I don't think anyone's asserted it, and I don't think anyone believes it.



Dick Armey, former congressman and current lobbyist, has said:
"if the lord God almighty made the heavens and the Earth, and he made them to his satisfaction and it is quite pretentious of we little weaklings here on earth to think that we are going to destroy God’s creation. "

This is a position that some Christian fundamentalists have taken. Some on this very board. I don't need to name names do I Smile
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3250 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money" -Cree Prophecy


But I guess this is a logic class now and that's an "Reductio ad absurdum" fallacy, too.

Hopefully we'll find fallacies to be very nutritions in the future, because that seems to be the only thing that mankind is producing in any quantity these days.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3250 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-03-21 01:24, tommy wrote:
One of the biggest real proplems the sea has is the vast amounts of acid being pumped into it by Chinas dye factories which has gone on for decades.


Guess where all that extra Mustard Gas went after WWI ?
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
In other shock news !!!:

Drinking mercury is bad for you.

The Sun is very very hot.

Stunned y'all haven't I. Got no aruments have ya. The silence in response to this post really shows me how I've set the world to rights. Yay Me !!!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
During in World War II the oceans fish thrived, the fish were eating plenty of us back then when ships were going down. For fish sake, we can only hope World War III starts soon.


For Members of the Navy Special Operations and Intelligence Communities:

Eternal father, Lord of day and night,
Watch over those who in Blackness fight.
O Guide those, who lives in secret lead,
Bless and keep them in their need.
Guide their families your love to share,
When they are together in your care.

— CDR. James L. Kenny USNR (Ret.)
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-03-21 04:42, gaddy wrote:
Quote:
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money" -Cree Prophecy


But I guess this is a logic class now and that's an "Reductio ad absurdum" fallacy, too.



It's hardly a logic class, and I wouldn't call it fallacious. I think it's a pointed quotation that fits the topic.

Now, if you post links to a story about a little kid who got hospitalized for ingesting coins and contend this disproves the assertion of, say, Danny Doyle (sorry, Danny!) who said that you COULD, actually, eat money and be fine....well, then I'm going to say something.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » For the deniers among us (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL