The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Just thinkin'... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Hmmm, let's see now; Busking is a form of magic that, for most magicians, returns very little income, exposes the magician to horrific weather conditions at times, danger from street hoods wanting your stash, danger of arrest from non-compassionate police, & being heckled by the masses. Next, there are books, DVDs, & even a school that, for a price, will teach you how to get into this racket. Did I get it right?

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
ray raymond
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of ray raymond
Not at all. way off.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Your first phrase is totally WRONG, it should say "for good magicians returns an excellent income. Those who can perform, busk, those that can't find other, less lucrative, venues.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I may be off base here, but it sounds to me like you've got a skewed perspective, mate.

The scary bad things that the balloon twisters in the restaurant worker's forum just above us are thinking about carrying guns to their gigs to protect themselves against are nothing more than the indicita of a fearful populace.

I've never really had much trouble, except for recently, with my 1st Amendment rights currently being infringed upon by the city of San Francisco.

Obviously, it's the streets, so there are certain safety considerations...
And, much like other arenas of performance -if you're no good at what you're doing, you won't make much money...

But this can be said of anything!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
No, Richard is exactly right. I couldn't have said it better myself. Busking is totally for the losers and dregs of the performing world. So I guess we'll be not seeing him on the streets any time soon. Our loss.
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Quote:
On 2010-03-17 22:10, gaddy wrote:
I may be off base here, but it sounds to me like you've got a skewed perspective, mate.

The scary bad things that the balloon twisters in the restaurant worker's forum just above us are thinking about carrying guns to their gigs to protect themselves against are nothing more than the indicita of a fearful populace.

I've never really had much trouble, except for recently, with my 1st Amendment rights currently being infringed upon by the city of San Francisco.

Obviously, it's the streets, so there are certain safety considerations...
And, much like other arenas of performance -if you're no good at what you're doing, you won't make much money...

But this can be said of anything!

Well, I'm also looking at the stories about the police & street hoods that both Kozmo & Jim Cellini mentioned! Sounds like fun!

Sir Richard.
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Quote:
On 2010-03-17 20:47, Paddy wrote:
Your first phrase is totally WRONG, it should say "for good magicians returns an excellent income. Those who can perform, busk, those that can't find other, less lucrative, venues.

Peter

Actually I totally agree with you, just having a bit of fun!

Sir Richard.
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Quote:
On 2010-03-17 22:10, gaddy wrote:The scary bad things that the balloon twisters in the restaurant worker's forum just above us are thinking about carrying guns to their gigs to protect themselves against are nothing more than the indicita of a fearful populace.

Good Grief, that thread has gone 6 pages long! Here's some advice, don't pack heat in Illinois unless you've paid off the police! "Honest officer, I use the .357 Mag. for the 'Bullet catch!' That trick's a classic!"

Sir Richard.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-03-17 22:16, Chance wrote:
No, Richard is exactly right. I couldn't have said it better myself. Busking is totally for the losers and dregs of the performing world. So I guess we'll be not seeing him on the streets any time soon. Our loss.

hehehe! Scare off the competition. I like it. Now if we could only find something that scares off crate slugs (beside soap and water, I mean)...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-03-17 22:17, Sir Richard wrote:
Well, I'm also looking at the stories about the police & street hoods that both Kozmo & Jim Cellini mentioned! Sounds like fun!

Sir Richard.

It's true, but those are the accumulated stories of careers that span about 50 years+

I've been in some minor scrapes myself, and I've only been busking for a short time.

Anyone who's been in "showbiz" for that long, in ANY capacity, is gonna have a few horror stories. It's a dirty business in general.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Any place where alcohol is the main attraction, one should always be aware of the surroundings. Cars drove up on the sidewalk at me twice and some guy fresh out of the nuthouse jumped me from behind but none of them had seen the show so no harm done. I certainly would never consider packing heat - no place to put it.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Quote:

Heh, heh! Not scarin' me off, dude, I LOVE confrontation. I used to sell insurance and later, cars. How-ever, I'll just be starting out & don't have to count on it for a living,so I'm actually looking forward to it.

Sir Richard.
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
Quote:

Your the man!
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2010-03-17 20:47, Paddy wrote:

Peter

While I think Richard was speaking with tongue firmly planted in cheek, I don't know that I'd necessarily agree with the statement quoted above. I used to do some busking, and I know some other guys who do it for a living. (I don't.) I think I'm a pretty good performer. I do a lot of corporate banquets (how I have made the lion's share of my living for 20 years +) where I make in 45-60 minutes what they make in 2-5 days. I don't see how that's "less lucrative".

One doesn't need to put down every other form of the art in order to defend one's favorite, does one?
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Intresting, the only thing I disagree with what was said is.
Busking is a form of magic.

Busking is far bigger than the Magic World, some times I think the Magic World thinks it owns busking it does not.

Their are Circus, Music, Mine, the good, the bad, the ok, the rich, the poor, the, western buskers, eastern buskers, the strange, the abstract the list can go on and on.

Mario
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Quote:
On 2010-03-18 06:50, Mario Morris wrote:
Intresting, the only thing I disagree with what was said is.
Busking is a form of magic.

Busking is far bigger than the Magic World, some times I think the Magic World thinks it owns busking it does not.

Their are Circus, Music, Mine, the good, the bad, the ok, the rich, the poor, the, western buskers, eastern buskers, the strange, the abstract the list can go on and on.

Mario

I agree, however, my interest in busking is only in the field of magic. That's why I'm a member of a magicians forum. In Decatur, Il. every year they have the "Decatur Celebration" where they shut down all of the streets downtown and hire many different types of Buskers for a 3-day event. They're paid directly from the city so they're not allowed to "pitch" for tips. I've come to know several nice folks that do this for a living. BTW, any of you pros might want to check this out as a possible venue. If you Google Decatur, Il. you should find contact info. (If not, PM me & I'll see what I can do to help.)

Sir Richard.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Scott, for me it IS important that the performer shows a good show and doesn't take the art of magic down. you are a good performer and maybe you do well on the street or not, who cares. be a good representative of our art.

I have seen very bad street performers and street magicians and very bad stage performers too. most important HAVE FUN!

I encounter many audiences who have a bad idea of magic because they only know bad magicians. why do you think magic is on a low point in AMERICA'S GOT TALENT.
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Quote:
On 2010-03-18 09:58, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
Scott, for me it IS important that the performer shows a good show and doesn't take the art of magic down. you are a good performer and maybe you do well on the street or not, who cares. be a good representative of our art.

I have seen very bad street performers and street magicians and very bad stage performers too. most important HAVE FUN!

I encounter many audiences who have a bad idea of magic because they only know bad magicians. why do you think magic is on a low point in AMERICA'S GOT TALENT.

Yes, Mr. Blake, there are bad magicians as well as inexperienced ones, but everybody has got to start somewhere &, hopefully, get better. We can't all start off being excellent performers. There are good & bad in every field of entertainment, that's why I work so hard on getting better every day, & it's paying off. On the flip side there's a local "puppeteer" here that I wish would just quit. However, people keep hiring him.

Sir Richard.
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
For any who might be interested, here is the info on the Decatur Celebration:

I spoke to a real sweetheart of a lady by name of Diane at (217)423-4222.
Their Web-site is: http://www.decaturcelebration.com & their e-mail address is: havefun@decaturcelebration.com.

Hope some of you fine this interesting, I've seen a few really good magic acts there!

Sir Richard.
eddierush
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of eddierush
Quote:
On 2010-03-18 09:58, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:

You are right! So here's is the "million dollar" question ...

Why don't we see more good magicians out there (inside or out) performing?

For example ... I have seen many (MANY) really dancers but that does keep me from watching dance shows and concerts. It's because I have seen many more really good dancers that I have seen really bad dancers. But the point is that they get out there and dance. They dance because they love to dance. They dance to become famous. they dance to make money. BTW - I was a professional dancer (jazz & modern) before I became a semi-professional magician.

My mother taught me something that I have followed to this day: "If you do what you love, the money will follow" How do you know if something is a passion for you? If you are willing to do it for free. I'm not saying that anyone should give-up their paying gigs to go out and do free shows. However, what I am saying is that we should get out there in mass and just perform. Just do it because we love it and in turn so will they.

I have another "million dollar" question concerning America's Got Talent (and other similar shows) ... If they have such a distaste for bad magic and/or magicians then why do they continue to show so many really bad dancers, musicians, singers, and the lot? Eight seasons of American Idol and I still hear people talking about all the crappy singers on the show ... yet they continue to watch the show (I don't). Figure that out and we can elevate the art of magic to a position that will be loved by the world.

Oh ... and don't give me that line about, "people don't like to be fooled". I don't believe that. People get fooled everytime they watch a movie or a "reality" TV show. People don't like to be belittled or made to feel stupid.

I believe that these are serious questions that need to be addressed and answered.

Your comments?
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
http://magiceddie.wordpress.com
http://friendsofthemagi.org
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Just thinkin'... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL