The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ayn Rand was an idiot (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Would there be any market corrections if we went back to the reality of the barter market, rather than dealing in the illusions of paper tigers.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On 2013-12-11 13:38, critter wrote:
I've read Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead, and a couple of her non-fiction works, including The Virtue of Selfishness. I tried really hard to like her because a lot of people I respected at that time did but my overabundance of empathy just never could allow me to be comfortable with her characters or philosophy. Then I figured out how to think for myself and decided not to give a rat's butt who else likes her, I don't have to.

True irony.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Yeah... except the part about empathy.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
The difference is that if any of those people I respect who do like her were starving to death, I'd share my last piece of pizza with them. Smile
~Will Rogers
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Is there any evidence that market corrections in an "unregulated" environment are not disruptive to the monthly business processes?

Is there any evidence that making no market corrections in an "unregulated" environment is not disruptive to the monthly human survival processes?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2013-12-11 13:41, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-11 12:56, Dannydoyle wrote:
Politicians often admire one aspect of what people say or write then back off once in office. As evidenced by our president and congressman Ryan. It is so they can get elected. Not shocking to me at all.

Agreed. But just to be clear, he didn't back off, he lied.

So lets also be clear about the lies on both sides shall we?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2013-12-12 00:30, landmark wrote:
Quote:
Is there any evidence that market corrections in an "unregulated" environment are not disruptive to the monthly business processes?

Is there any evidence that making no market corrections in an "unregulated" environment is not disruptive to the monthly human survival processes?

The theory of supply/demand has it that market prices will seek their equilibrium and it's the tampering which causes disruption. I was asking about evidence to measure just how quickly or completely Adam Smith's Invisible Hand works in practice.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2013-12-12 03:52, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-11 13:41, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-11 12:56, Dannydoyle wrote:
Politicians often admire one aspect of what people say or write then back off once in office. As evidenced by our president and congressman Ryan. It is so they can get elected. Not shocking to me at all.

Agreed. But just to be clear, he didn't back off, he lied.

So lets also be clear about the lies on both sides shall we?

landmark has always been scrupulously fair in his criticism of politicians. From everything he posts, landmark advocates a far higher and stronger sense of social responsibility than is advocated by either of the two powerful US parties. landmark is at least the third side, hitting hard against the other two.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2013-12-12 07:09, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-12 00:30, landmark wrote:
Quote:

The theory of supply/demand has it that market prices will seek their equilibrium and it's the tampering which causes disruption. I was asking about evidence to measure just how quickly or completely Adam Smith's Invisible Hand works in practice.

Agreed, evidence would be fascinating. No idea how one would begin to design an experiment that accurately modeled world, or even local, conditions.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
What is the point of this thread, to bash Ayn Rand? That is the ONLY point of all of this, no?

It seems there are a lot of these threads, posted on various forums, which are started for the sole purpose of saying, "See how wrong she was?".

I wonder why that is? Why do people go out of their way to attack a woman who's ideas are terrifying to the point that they are dismissed out of hand? Everyone agrees she was wrong, so why the continued posts?

It's not like the people who live their lives based on what she put forth go around proclaiming their superiority.

I learned long ago that when it comes to Ayn Rand thee are three types of people.

The first are those who, having read some of what she wrote, say whatever everyone else is saying. This is of course what they always do, so having read anything never really matters. It does make them feel good to be part of the crowd so I guess it's all good.
The second are those who having read some of it become so unsettled that they feel the need to attack her.

The third are those who, having read most or all of what she wrote, go on with their lives better for having read it, and thankful that she wrote it.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Yes. The third group is the scary one.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
In point of fact Ayn Rand's work has been tremendously influential to many American politicians who have based their entire platforms around the notion of giving the rich an extra leg up at the expense of the poor. As I recall, the de-regulation of industries which led to the "Great Recession" was formulated by those who take her philosophy as the new religion. We discuss her because there is a fair chance that her words have done real harm.

I believe it is important that her writings remain available. I also believe that it is important that their be thought of by sane individuals as an object lesson in how easily antisocial behavior can become a personal philosophy and ultimately affect destructive public policies. Hence, discussion.
~Will Rogers
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
She turned adolescent self-absorption and narcissism into a philosophy.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Sell fish or buy fish, that is the question.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Or, considering the holiday season, you can distribute fish to the masses.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Funny, no one has told me what the original purpose of this thread was or why these threads keep popping up.

Forgetting that, can anyone tell me EXACTLY what it is about what she put forth that is wrong and why? I get the feeling that, as usual, I'm dealing with the second group.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Was she an American?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yi-LvnM_5M

:pop:

Randy An, I knew her well.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
A is A, she seemed to like writing and married men. My father said she was unhappy. My only exposure to her was a TV appearance to support us involvement in some Asian civil war.

IMHO the proof of the philosophy is in its outcomes. Answering the question "is this better and if so, at what cost?"

Yellow brick road, magic green metal...
...to all the coins I've dropped here
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Actual real world harm previously noted. RIF
"Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it."
~Will Rogers
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
I was wondering what this gal looked like, so I took a gander.
Well alrighty then!

Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ayn Rand was an idiot (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL