The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Knack Magic Tricks, by Richard Kaufman (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Has anybody read this book and can put out an review?

Knack Magic Tricks $19.95

Author: Kaufman, Richard
Media: Book
Format: Paperback
Publication Summary: 2010, 244 pp
Publisher: Morris Book Publishing, LLC

Richard Kaufman, the publisher of Genii: The Conjuror’s Magazine, has written one of the best magic books for the general public. Besides picking some really outstanding routines, Richard has done an excellent job of explaining not only how to perform them, but also the history and credits for the routines. The book packs 450 full-color, step-by-step photographs, many from the magician’s point of view, plus advice on how to patter with an audience while pulling off mind-blowing deceptions, illusions, and sleights of hand. From simple to advanced, and using household and inexpensive props, Knack Magic Tricks includes tricks using cards, coins, handkerchiefs, and fruit, as well as mental tricks, anytime tricks, standup tricks, and tricks especially for kids (to be performed both for them and by them). Highly recommended not only as a gift for the beginner, but experienced magicians will found material worth performing.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Do you really think Richard Kaufman would write a bad book.
For review see here: click here
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1681 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Thrre is a good review and discussion on this book at the Geniiforum.
I read the book while having a coffe in Barnes and Noble, so I will tell you what I remember by memory, the first thing that you notice is the format, it is a landscape format and very pleasant to read.
From what Kauffman said all the series of knack books have this format and people like it.
There are tricks with cards, coins, ropes, etc, but as a difference with other magic books found in bookstores, this one has more elaborated tricks, for instance a Matrix by Al Schneider. Also Kauffman does a great job explaining the tricks and the history behind.

It is a thick book with plenty of tricks and I'd agree it is not just for beginners there are great routines here.

I did not buy it because I already have too many books that I have not read it yet, btw the price is $20 with B&N 10% card is just $18 inexpensive book for what it is

As a side note, in the same shelf there were some other magic books, and you can tell the difference and appeal between older type of books (ie Bobo) and books like this one and the one from Joshua Jay, better colors, pictures, drawing, different languages and narrative.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Quote:
On 2010-03-20 09:52, wmhegbli wrote:
Do you really think Richard Kaufman would write a bad book...

Everything Richard has written is pure gold, to bad he is occupided to edit Genii but that is his choice.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
This is a wonderful book. Most magic how to books are so boring and don't do a good job of teaching. Knack actually teaches magic you'll want to learn and perform.
~Joe
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
I saw a copy of this book, there's some really great material in it.
There's also tons of photos.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I just picked this up. It's beautifuly written and photographed.

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Thanks very much for your compliments: tell your friends! Smile
It's only $13.50 on amazon.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:
On 2010-03-20 10:43, pabloinus wrote:
I read the book while having a coffe in Barnes and Noble, so I will tell you what I remember by memory...
I did not buy it because I already have too many books that I have not read it yet, btw the price is $20 with B&N 10% card is just $18 inexpensive book for what it is

Let me get this straight: you sat down in a bookstore for the express pleasure of reading the book (while enjoying a cup of coffee, no less), and then you didn't buy it?
:huh:
The Old Man
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of The Old Man
Quote:
On 2010-06-07 21:35, Donal Chayce wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-03-20 10:43, pabloinus wrote:
I read the book while having a coffe in Barnes and Noble, so I will tell you what I remember by memory...

Let me get this straight: you sat down in a bookstore for the express pleasure of reading the book (while enjoying a cup of coffee, no less), and then you didn't buy it?
:huh:

Are you not aware that B&N is a reading library to many? My favorite--the people who read the Sunday paper and then put it back. Also there's the stack of magazine people.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Knack Magic Tricks, by Richard Kaufman (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL