The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Seeking review of Dracula 2.0 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gregkoren
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of gregkoren
I'm curious to know what people think of Dracula 2.0. Is it a substantial improvement over the original Dracula book test? (Forgive me if this topic has been covered. I couldn't find anything on it.)
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
"Improvement" is a relative term. Let me put it this way -- the two tests use different methodologies and each has features/capabilities that the other lacks and each has its pros and cons. Although in itself not necessarily a significant advantage over other book tests, both have the benefit of being a real and familiar title by a known author.

The original "Dracula" test can be used either as a "peek" book (which requires some, albeit minimal, handling by the performer) or without handling by the performer (in which case it is essential that the performer know the page number(s) in play). It also allows as many as two revelations per page. All of these features are "pros" and make "Dracula" the more flexible of the two; however, that advantage is offset by the fact that its "secret" is relatively easy for an observant spectator to discover if given the opportunity for more than the most cursory examination.

"Dracula 2.0" is designed to be used exclusively as a "peek" book, so it does require minimal handling by the performer; however, no page number or other information is required for the performer to reveal the word being thought of by the participating spectator. Only a single revelation is possible for any page. While some may consider those limitations to be "cons" IMO they are more than offset by the fact that the book will withstand close scrutiny with very little likelihood that the "secret" will be detected so it can be left in the hands of the audience for an extended period (it could even be read from cover to cover should one have the opportunity to do so).

Which of the two is most useful/appropriate for a particular performer will depend on a combination of personal preference and the way in which the performer presents the routine. In my own case, while I have and have used both, my personal preference is for "Dracula 2.0."

Others may choose differently. Hopefully the information I've provided will be helpful in that regard.
Dick Christian
gregkoren
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of gregkoren
Once again, Dick, thank you for your review (you also answered my request for a review of The 4th Key). I greatly appreciate you taking the time to break the two book tests down into pros and cons. I feel much more informed!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Seeking review of Dracula 2.0 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL