The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Bamboo Chop Cups ala AL Wheatley Chop Chop (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1296 Posts

Profile of DJG
Wow those look great!

I know they have sealant wax as Dom mentioned. I thought they had a brand available named Sex Wax (yes, it's a real surf product)? Is that the one you were thinking?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I still think wrapping with string as decor would look good too.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There is a wood stabilizer that has been on the market for some time called "PEG" which is an acronym for Polyethelyne Glycol. Rockler and other woodworking merchants carry it.

I read about it in Fine Woodworking Magazine some years ago. I don't know how well it will work on bamboo.

There is another called Pentacryl that may also work.

One problem with resin based finishes is that they can shrink, so if you don't apply them both inside and out, they may cause the bamboo to warp, if that's possible.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Cool everybody!! PEG and surfboard resin!! Ill check them out tonight when I get some chair time. Thanks Bri, for the links too.

Pete, you might be on to something. Kozak sent me a thread wrapping rig for flyrods. He wants me to build him a custom rod which Im working on in fits and spurts. Maybe a tight decorative wrap might be in order. I'll have to give it some thought.

Peace - Out!!
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You can read that first one here, without having to register for Patent Storm:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parse....../5433805
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2010-03-23 14:28, EventEntertainer wrote:
Wow those look great!

I know they have sealant wax as Dom mentioned. I thought they had a brand available named Sex Wax (yes, it's a real surf product)? Is that the one you were thinking?
No not wax! This is what I am referring to: http://www.foamez.com/glassing-resin-epoxy-c-3_33.html

My friends built their own boards and used this.

Cupamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
Wahooo! I've been wanting one of these for a long time. Just ordered mine. THANK YOU TABMAN!
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Wahooo too. Thanks for ordering one of them. Ive been experimenting with the bamboo all day. I got in touch with James Tong and he will make some special balls to match the cups. I'll have a cup going to him in Malaysia next week. James originally tried to locate giant bamboo in Malaysia but wasn't able to. Funny I found some within a few miles up river here. It made me feel like an explorer and I found a hidden temple or something. Funny what makes us happy.

This picture is of my personal bamboo cup. Ive been using it awhile, banging it around. Today I coated it with two doses of polyurethane inside and out. You know you're spending way too much time with magic when you make your own bamboo chop chop theater for photography. That close up pad is by Patrick who does excellent work. Its a custom 7" pad especially for the bamboo box in the bg.

http://bamboochopcup.info

The cup is one I consider small and that's a 2" sponge ball in the picture.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Turns out the smaller sized bamboo cups are almost identical in size to the nice old leather dice cup Pete Biro gave me about 20 years ago when he showed me the basic moves for dice stacking. Ive enjoyed doing it since then and have spent a lot of time with the leather cup in my right hand. I found it interesting that I crafted some bamboo cups to the same size naturally.

Here's a picture of my personal bamboo chop cup and the leather one Pete gave me about 20 years ago. The sides of the bamboo cups are straight and allow for stacking.

I'll keep working on the bamboo cups and looking for more magic with bamboo projects. And I like the idea of the natural materials and the primative look and feel of them.

My thoughts on splitting are this: If a cup cracks during the first year and you don't like it any more just mail it back to me and I'll mail you another similar one. It would be great if you'd include postage but not necessary. After the first year and for my lifetime just put a tenner in the cup and mail it back to me and Ill be happy to send you another.

I think this is a pretty good way to approach the natural splitting of bamboo. Remember not all bamboo cups will split but it sometimes does. This way you won't be stuck with a cup you can't use or don't want to.

There's more coming but this is a good place to start. Thanks for the great information and participation.

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
What if you have one from Tabman and store it in a damp place, maybe soak in water every couple of months.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-03-26 02:18, Pete Biro wrote:...What if you have one from Tabman and store it in a damp place, maybe soak in water every couple of months...

OK, I'll try it.

Right now Im drying them in the barn and moving them around some. Ive about 50 cups in various stages of dry right now.

Jim Riser told me he made some "bamboo" cups from PVC pipe and turned them on a lathe to resemble bamboo. Jim is an amazing craftsman with a lathe but I still like the naturalness of the native bamboo.

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Epoxy in a lining of thin plastic?
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-03-26 11:53, Pete Biro wrote:Epoxy in a lining of thin plastic?

That's a similar solution to the surfboard resin which is basically fiberglass resin and I will definately try it on the inside. The natural patina of the bamboo outside is nice looking to me and feels good in the hands.

Now that MY cup with the polyurethane coating has had a couple days to get really dry it looks good and feels good too.

They coat a lot of wood boats with epoxy paint these days. I'll have to check to see if I can get it in a clear spray. That might be good too.

Thanks for all the tips, and thanks for taking a chance and ordering a Bamboo Chop Cup or three from me. Remember, lifetime replacement guarantee.

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Krylon used to make a clear epoxy spray. I must have purchased a dozen or so cans of it. Then it seemed to disappear. Bummer.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Thanks. I'm going on a hunt for clear epoxy tomorrow.

Posted: Mar 29, 2010 12:16am
... OK, today I brought home a couple different clear plastic sprays. I have a dozen cups that I will coat tomorrow. The bags I started with are not quite what I wanted but Ive got the "right" ones coming in on Tuesday so I'll be packing the cups on Wednesday and shipping on Thursday. This is a fun project. Thanks for y'alls participation.

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Tabby:

That's fine! I'm not in a big hurry. I appreciate the fact that you are doing this right.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-03-29 00:28, Bill Palmer wrote:...I'm not in a big hurry. I appreciate the fact that you are doing this right....

That's great. Ive been working at a fevered pitch the past few months. I appreciate the fact that you will let me catch my breath. From one old man to another, thanks a million.

My grandkids are here for a couple days anyway. My oldest grandson is into magic. He's 13 and is very knowledgable because of the internet and especially Youtube. It's obviously more than just a casual interest. He's planning to hang out with me in the shop tomorrow.

Thanks for the gift of time.

DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1296 Posts

Profile of DJG
I'll second what Bill said. Do what you need to do. And add as always, let me know how I can help.

Bill, does the Krylon, get old or stale? If not, I got a can for you!
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Thanks kind sirs. I will start shipping mid week next and will let everybody know via this thread.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Bamboo Chop Cups ala AL Wheatley Chop Chop (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL