The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Stripper Decks (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jon Hackett
View Profile
Special user
UK
737 Posts

Profile of Jon Hackett
Hi guys, just wondering if you can help me clear up a bit of confusion on my part in terms of the exact notation used to distinguish these different types of decks using this same principle.

So I have a fair old few decks all set up as 'strippers' as far as I know I have normal strippers, tapered on the long edge, and belly strippers tapered on the short edge. In simple terms you can think of it as culling/stripping from the hindu shuffle position and culling/stripping from the overhand position.

There are lots of things possible with these decks, by far wan away my favourite is a routine which is essentially just Neither Blind Nor Stupid and into OOTW, only shuffled though out because I'm using a stripper deck. What sorts of things do you guys do?

Moreover, what exactly are the different types of stripper? I've heard the words used such as, narrow, short, side, nu way. How many different types are out there? And what are there differences?

Jon Hackett
It is not the brains that matter most, but that which guides them -- the character, the heart, generous qualities and progressive ideas. Doystoyevsky
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1701 Posts

Profile of Ross W
I'm no expert, but so far as I know, cards stripped at the short ends are "end strippers". I used to have a couple of decks. "Belly Strippers" have a bowed-in strip along the long edge, I think?

Anyway, doubtless someone will chime in with a full glossary.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
RealityOne
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of RealityOne
I've heard "end" or "belly" (tapered along the short end) and "side" or "hindu" (tapered along the long side) strippers. I'm pretty sure those are the only options.
~David

Any perception of reality is a selection of reality which results in a distortion of reality.
Jon Hackett
View Profile
Special user
UK
737 Posts

Profile of Jon Hackett
And have any of you guys had any experience with making your own strippers?

Its something I would like to give a bash.

Jon Hackett
It is not the brains that matter most, but that which guides them -- the character, the heart, generous qualities and progressive ideas. Doystoyevsky
RealityOne
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of RealityOne
Quote:
On 2010-03-24 12:06, Jon Hackett wrote:
And have any of you guys had any experience with making your own strippers?

Its something I would like to give a bash.

Jon Hackett

Jon:

Can't say I've tried it, but there are a couple of threads here on the Café discussing various methods ranging from using sand paper, paper cutters, miter (I think the last one was serious, but the chain saw and lawn mower methods weren't). I have a couple of old decks that I will probably try the various methods on (before I use them for mercury card fold and/or card splitting practice).
~David

Any perception of reality is a selection of reality which results in a distortion of reality.
Troels
View Profile
Loyal user
Denmark
205 Posts

Profile of Troels
Precision is extremely important, beceause the tapering should be very narrow. You could clamp the deck hard between two pieces of precision cut card size plywood and use middle coarse sandpaper and gradually go on to very fine. But at the current prices of factory made strippers I wouldn't invest the effort.

And by the way: The cards must be very smooth and slide easy out from the deck. So I would not take an old deck used for practicing palming and colorchanges.

Troels
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Good luck
akc22
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of akc22
There were bathroom strippers I read about a long time ago. You would take a regular deck into a bathroom and make it into a stripper deck by scraping it on a broken piece of window glass (apparently this was during the depression and window maintenance was not a priority).
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Bathroom Strippers don't involve the complete deck, but rather only the cards you'd be wanting to strip out.

The remainder of the deck is untouched.

Specifically, you didn't even need the entire deck with you "in the can", merely the one, two, or few cards you modified depending on what game you were playing.

Each different card game has a different list card values and suits you would want to control, so knowing this information in advance would allow you to directly remove very specific cards from the deck for modification.

The "broken glass" story is a great old nugget, but most hustlers had the small tool on their person to quickly and neatly make the required modifications to the cards, and return to the table to ring those cards back into play.

There are other parameters swirling around "bathroom strippers" which would determine if they were possible in any given game, but the above is the basic idea.
akc22
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of akc22
Quote:
On 2010-04-14 10:51, silverking wrote:
Bathroom Strippers don't involve the complete deck, but rather only the cards you'd be wanting to strip out.

Specifically, you didn't even need the entire deck with you "in the can", merely the one, two, or few cards you modified depending on what game you were playing.

Each different card game has a different list card values and suits you would want to control, so knowing this information in advance would allow you to directly remove very specific cards from the deck for modification.

The "broken glass" story is a great old nugget, but most hustlers had the small tool on their person to quickly and neatly make the required modifications to the cards, and return to the table to ring those cards back into play.

There are other parameters swirling around "bathroom strippers" which would determine if they were possible in any given game, but the above is the basic idea.

Silverking,

Interesting. I would think the gambler would want to modify the indifferent cards, so that the ones they wanted could be stripped out of the deck.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:

I would think the gambler would want to modify the indifferent cards, so that the ones they wanted could be stripped out of the deck.

OK.

If one was to read my post and believe that I don't know what I'm talking about, that's cool (not that you did).

If however one chooses to read my post and think otherwise, then that might open the door to more research, leading to discoveries very few magicians ever make.
akc22
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of akc22
Silverking,

I have no doubt of what you are saying, but the exact mechanism eludes me.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
The exact mechanism eludes 99.99% of magicians.

Bathroom strippers = Vernon's "Inner Secrets of Card Magic".

Most people don't take the time to actually make an effort to understand what Vernon is saying, and many who do claim to understand what Vernon is saying go on to betray the fact that they don't understand at all!

............but if you're interested, it's the start..........and the road goes very much further than just "bathroom strippers".
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:
On 2010-04-14 10:51, silverking wrote:

Quote:
On 2010-04-15 01:44, silverking wrote:
The exact mechanism eludes 99.99% of magicians.

Bathroom strippers = Vernon's "Inner Secrets of Card Magic".

Most people don't take the time to actually make an effort to understand what Vernon is saying, and many who do claim to understand what Vernon is saying go on to betray the fact that they don't understand at all!

............but if you're interested, it's the start..........and the road goes very much further than just "bathroom strippers".

I had to take a look.
Bathroom Strippers Pg. 70 Inner Secrets of Card Magic describes the deck in thirds being treated. "Treat each third of the pack in the same way, assemble the pack, shuffle the cards and rub the glass along the same half of the long sides."

That guy is one clever S.O.B. talking all about the deck in thirds. Treating the thirds the same way and assembling them. That's diabolical when all along he was only treating the cards he wanted to strip out which I confess I haven't been able to envision using geometry available to me at the time. One hell of a way to keep a secret is all I can say.
You know why don't act naive.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
In the case of bathroom strippers, Vernon sends his devotes down a path with a great many gates, but Vernon doesn't open any of them for his reader..........not even the first one.

BTW, the Café itself is a wonderful research source for those who use the search engine fully, and there is more actual information contained within around this topic than in any published book I've seen.

Searching for "bathroom strippers" alone however, isn't going to do it for you........it's gotta' be more "boolean" than that........ however it may give you some nice new keywords to try out.
Flamel
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Flamel
Thank AND you Silverking, this cryptic methodology makes for a good afternoon spent browsing the Café. Cheers.
Gaffus Maximus
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Gaffus Maximus
It's my understanding that "belly strippers" could refer to both long-end and short-end modifications. But instead of tapering from one corner of the card to the other, "belly stripping" is the application of stripping the middle portion so you can easily cut to the card with a standard cutting action... similar to how short cards are cut to. Instead of imagining a straight cut like most common commercial stripper decks, imagine a faint U shaped cut on the end of the card.
Gaffus Maximus
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Here you go... found this reference: https://alansands.com/george-sands/belly......of-cards
Gaffus Maximus
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

There are convex belly strippers and concave belly strippers... both useful depending upon what you are attempting to accomplish.
Gaffus Maximus
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

The book, Sharps and Flats is a nice reference as well: http://sharpsandflats.com/prepared_cards_05.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Stripper Decks (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL