The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "Nightmare Alley" Reissued (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2906 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Gresham committed suicide in the Dixie Hotel (now called the Carter Hotel) right around the corner from I am now sitting. I talked to Jay Marshall about Gresham and got a good sense of the man. He was a wonderful writer and had a number of demons to deal with. Perhaps it would be more fitting to do a musical on the life of Gresham.

Quote:
On 2010-03-23 15:26, sthielman wrote:
Gresham himself was a very interesting person, an amateur magician who was the first husband of Joy Davidman, future wife of C.S. Lewis. Gresham supposedly learned about the sideshow world from a fellow Communist fighter in the Spanish Civil War. He decided to follow Christ in the late 40s, but then turned to Scientology, spiritualism, Zen. He befriended James Randi in the 1950s but ultimately died by suicide after being diagnosed with cancer in 1962. A sad, sad story. There was a good article about him in the Skeptical Inquirer in the July/August 2003 issue.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3006 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Quote:
On 2010-03-24 02:00, Todd Robbins wrote:
There have been several attempts at making the book into the musical. The one that was done 40 years ago has no connection to this latest version. I know the composer and attended a staged reading of his show a few years ago.

I'm puzzled by your statement that the off-Broadway production in 1966 has no connection to the production opening at the Geffen Playhouse. Both were entirely written, composed, and orchestrated by Jonathan Brielle, after all. At the staged reading, did you get the impression that Brielle had scrapped everything and started again from scratch? Maybe you could shed a little light on how the two versions differ?

Thanks,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2906 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
That date of 1966 is wrong. I see where you got that and it can't be right. Jonathan is about my age and would have to been about 8 years old if that production was done in 1966. Also, the theater company Primary Stages was not around in the 60s. I will have to drop a line to Jonathan and see when that earlier version was done, but I'm guessing it was done in 1996.

There was a Broadway production mounted years ago, with former AMC host Bob Dorian playing Carlyle. This was the earlier production I was referring to. It was supposed to play the Palace Theater, but I don't think it ever opened. I don't remember the reason, but I think there were rights problems. And problem with the rights is what held up doing a new production (and reissuing the book) until now.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4205 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Well that paperback reissue has come out and I am really enjoying it.
Now I wish I could find an affordable copy of Monster Midway.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3006 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Glad you're enjoying it, Eddie. It's one of my favorites.

As for Monster Midway, good luck on that, Eddie. Rare as hen's teeth, they are.

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2521 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On 2010-04-11 22:26, Necromancer wrote:
As for Monster Midway, good luck on that, Eddie. Rare as hen's teeth, they are.

I just searched and found a half-dozen for $75

s
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
You can read Monster Midway for free if you have a library card (it might be $2 for inter-library loan), but it would be great to own.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Prof. Pabodie
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Prof. Pabodie
Monster of the Midway? The book about Bronco Nagurski? Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "Nightmare Alley" Reissued (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL